Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » The Flameboard » It CAN happen here. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: It CAN happen here.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is just #$@*ing HORRIBLE. And in my own backyard.

I may have to DO something about this.
http://news.excite.com/news/r/010328/09/entertainment-religion-burning-dc

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited March 29, 2001).]

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*bangs head against wall*

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baka.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baka?

It's happened before. Mark Twain's been banned from schools before -- this is just the next "logical" step in that mentality.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We could always go to Pittsburgh & paper their church in Harry fanart...

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is sad.

No, it's downright FUCKING STUPID.

There will be bloody retribution for this. And yes, let me say for the record that I AM a Potter Fan.

You fundies have gone too far this time. I'm pissed. Really pissed.

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think burning bibles would be going too far...

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's this book in my library.

Its main character, purported to be a hero, arranges to have his only child tortured and killed to appease his own twisted sense of justice.

He frags people right and left just for slightly annoying him, but he never kills the one guy who is shown to be the book's primary villain. Doesn't even TRY.

It's got incitement to riot, assault, murder, mass murder, genocide, child murder, rape, incest, disembowelment and desecration of a corpse, and dozens of other horrific images. Committed by the HEROES of the story.

And people read this book to their KIDS!

This trash should be kept as far away from children as possible. It should be heaped into bins and set to the cleansing flame.

It's the Bible.

(Incidentally, Twain was banned by liberal do-gooders for its lack of 'political correctness.' because it contained the 'n-word.' But that's beside the point. ANY philosophy that leads to the banning of books is a BAD one.)

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited March 29, 2001).]

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Bender said the church had never held a book burning before but might try it again if doing so would "accomplish something positive toward expressing our love for God."

Meanwhile, publicity has not hurt. "We got some people mad at us. But it's good to have publicity. It's good," he said.

This just doesn't sound right to me...

------------------
Terry: "Carter, Reagan, Bush, Clinton, ...."
Max: "And?"
Terry: "I forgot."
Max: "Come on, Clinton was the fun one, then came the boring one."
Terry: "They're all boring."

- Batman Beyond (aka: Batman of the Future)

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I thought that all the nuts were already off in Afghanistan... ::rolleyes::

------------------
You know, you really should keep a personal log. Why bore others needlessly?
The Gigantic Collection of Star Trek Minutiae

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
banned by liberal do-gooders

Isn't this one of those blanket statements we were talking about in another thread?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

No. a blanket statement would be 'all liberal do-gooders want to ban mark twain.' Which I didn't say.

ALL, NONE, ALWAYS, NEVER. These are 'blanket' words. 'Some' 'generally' and 'usually' are not.

It is a fact that attempts were made to ban Twain, and why, and that the reasoning behind the ban attempts were consistent with 'political correctness' which is certainly NOT a conservative concept, but is recognized by all (in the US, at least) as a liberal mainstay.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*reads the article* Oh bloody fucking hell...

It would be nice to join their bonfire, acting like you're one of them, and then start throwing bibles and crosses into the flames. I would sooooo love to see the looks on their faces...

Except, don't throw real bibles in. That would be as bad as what they're doing. Just toss in things that look like bibles. Yeah, that would work...

------------------
"Beliefs are dangerous. Beliefs allow the mind to stop functioning. A non-functioning mind is clinically dead. � Believe in nothing..."
-Tool, �nima

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While I lived in Ottawa, there was a Religious outcry at a particular book, although I cannot recall the name.

A local 'Michael Moore' type of guy, by the name of Don London, (I remember this, because it was similar to Dolph Lundgren), wrote into these Religious figureheads who were spearing the boycotting of this book, amongst other things. His letter, or the gist of it, was virtually what you had written above.

"To whom it may concern,

I am in dire need to report a book which I feel is corrupting our children, etc..."

And then he goes on to write a very similar description of this terrible book, as to First's review of the Bible.

Quoting scripture, and not actually revealing the title, which was indeed the Bible, He asked the Reverend to publicly condemn this book. The Reverend wrote back with a letter of support for this outstanding member of the Church.

Mr. London then asked the Reverend to come on his 'Weekly church show' (It wasn't, it was more or less 'The Awful Truth' but Canadianized, and on CityTV)and decry this book. The Reverend agreed to come on. During the interview, London revealed the true nature of the dastardly book, causing the flustered Reverend to leave the show. I've only seen the whole show once, and I'm not sure if it's ever been repeated.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

If you have a copy of the letter, or if you ever obtain a tape of that particular show, I WANT it. I'll give you $10 for a video copy.

Just in case idiots like that ever slither in and stir up MY town.

------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps