Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Star Trek » Starships & Technology » What format is your starship list? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: What format is your starship list?
Galen
Member # 72

- posted      Profile for Galen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I know we all keep starship lists, but I was just curious as to what format everyone uses (Excel, Access, FilePro, etc.) Mine is a simple Word document. I was wondering if anyone stores their ship list in a database. I have been thinking of transferring mine to one.

------------------
Hey fella, I bet you're still livin' in your parents' cellar
Downloadin' pictures of Sarah Michelle Gellar
And postin "Me too!" like some brain-dead AOL-er
I should do the world a favor and cap you like Old Yeller
You're just about as useless as jpegs to Helen Keller

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep mine on an excel program w/ two lists, one by ship name, one by class

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Dukhat
Hater of Stock Footage
Member # 341

- posted      Profile for Dukhat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ditto what Vanguard does.

------------------
Bart: "Hey, Dad, I'll trade you this delicious doorstop for that crummy old danish."
Homer: "Done and done...D'oh!"

Spike
Pathetic Vampire
Member # 322

- posted      Profile for Spike     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use both, Excel (for download) and Access.

------------------
"Second star to the right, and then straight on till morning."

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Started off in a simple TXT format 13 years ago, switched to a nice little DB program called Nutshell in 1994, jumped up to the far-easier Lotus Approach 97 in 1997. I can sort by name, hull number or class. I don't bother with mission type...at least, not until I nail down all the designs.

On my site, I exported by class & posted as simple TXT documents for ease of reading. MAN, was that bitch to format some of the larger classes--there's 5000 Oberths & like 3200 Excelsiors in there.

That reminds me...maybe I should start working on the Corona-class ships again....

------------------
"My dear, I used to think that I was serving humanity... and I pleasured in the thought. Then I discovered that humanity does not want to be served; on the contrary it resents any attempt to serve it. So now I do what pleases Jubal Harshaw." ---Jubal Harshaw, Stranger In A Strange Land

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I keep it in an Excel spreadsheet, but I only keep one list because, as Shik said, it can be sorted by any of the columns...

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My starship list (canon, book, and LUG RPG), is currently on a Canon Starwriter 70 Word processor, though I have been considering redoing it in Word, at least so that I could post it when people ask for book ships.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Canon" Starwriter, eh? Oddly appropriate... :-)

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have an Excel spread sheet for all my starship designs, in order of registry number, all canon starships in order of class name (alphabetically), and all canon starships in order of registry number.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a giant list that's 142 pages in Word 2000. It includes all canon ships, LUG, FASA, SotSF, SFD, SFP, etc, etc. The actual format of the list goes like this:

Class Name
Ship Name--Registry Number--Other (Class Ship, date launched, proposed, etc)

The list originally was sent to me sometime back and I have since tweaked it a little and I add ships when I read a novel with a ship not in the list or if new ships appear on the show.

------------------
"Incest! A game the whole family can play!"
-Jonah Rapp

[This message has been edited by Fabrux (edited September 26, 2000).]

Reverend
Based on a true story...
Member # 335

- posted      Profile for Reverend     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I use a Works database with these field headings:-

DES (U.S.S. or S.S)
NAME
PREFIX (NCC, NAR, NX, etc)
REG (1701, 7100, 74656 etc)
SUB (A,B,C,D,E)
CLASS
COMMENTS (Lost at the battle of Wolf 359, etc)
STATUS (OPERATIONAL, DESTROYED, MISSING etc)
SEEN (Yes, No - reffering to whether or not the
ship has been sighted or just mentioned)

its quite detailed, but that just makes it easier to find ships or groups of ships. I generally arrange the whole list by reg number then by sub reg.

------------------
Cluck cluck jibber jibber, my old man's a mushroom etc.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anybody willing to share their ship list(s)?

------------------
Blantant advertisement goes here

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Notepad.

I haven't looked at it much since the end of DS9, as Voyager is understandably lacking large numbers of Starfleet ships.

------------------
love's function is to fabricate unknownnness
--
E. E. Cummings
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! And party everyday.

Harry
Stormwind City Guard
Member # 265

- posted      Profile for Harry     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Access(sp?) and Excel. Hail Microsoft!

------------------
"Human race in tha house!" KoRn & Kittie, This Town
---
Titan Fleet Yards - Harry Doddema's Star Trek Site

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just read that Corel is coming out with a nice linux, with decent programs and a half GUI. I might switch to it.

------------------
Blantant advertisement goes here

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps