Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » You know you're bored when... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: You know you're bored when...
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...you scan your pencil!

------------------
Ross: "Inter arma, enim silent leges."
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"
-Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is scary.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bleh. You use .7 mm lead. I use .5!

------------------
Bashir: "'In the time of war the law falls silent.' Cicero. Have we become a 24th-century Rome, driven by the fact that Caesar can do no wrong?!"

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I used to use .9mm, actually, but when my monthly pencil budget became $15, I realised it was time to cut back a bit.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"We're going to take a five minute break...we'll be back in twenty minutes." - John Linnell

[This message has been edited by The Shadow (edited February 05, 2000).]

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

.9?!!!! That's ridiculously big. .5 is perfect. Great for technical drawings, which I've just started doing seriously..

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, the .9mm lead is meant for drafting pencils (expensive drafting pencils ).

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Is it? I find that anything bigger than .5 is too big and messy. .7 is great for shading, though

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

Well, .5mm lead always breaks too easily when I'm using it.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

Don't put so much pressure on the pencil and it won't break as often.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I don't, but the angle I hold them at requires more of the lead to be out, so it's more liable to break.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

I've noticed that a lot of people use some weird and wonderful positions and angles when writing... How do you hold your pencil? I rest it on my middle finger, place my index finger just above the black part (see above picture), and have my thumb on another side of the pencil in the same area as my index finger. Simple, yet effective.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I do the same thing, but I hold my thumb back a bit, bringing the back of the pencil (with the eraser etc.) slightly closer to the paper.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

That's a weird angle... I've seen stranger, though. I've seen people rest their pencil (or pen) on their third finger on the last joint before the tip putting their middle finger in the same place as I would usually have my index finger, their thumb in the same spot, and their middle finger above the thumb.

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

I just tried that...it's possible, but seems uncomfortable to me.

------------------
Frank's Home Page

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

It's uncomfortable for me, too. But, the people I've seen write like that have probably been doing it all their lives, so they're used to it.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps