Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » If you liled "The Tick"... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: If you liled "The Tick"...
Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
...You'll love "Mystery Men". I just finished watching it and it was a hoot!

Plot summary: Captain Amazing, the city's premier superhero, is kidnapped by the evil "Frankenstein Cassanova". His would-be rescuers are a bunch of superhero wannabees like The Shoveler (William H. Macy -- he shovels better than anyone on earth) and Blue Raja (Hank Azaria -- he throws silverware).

If you like superhero satire, go rent/buy it (I bought my copy)!

--Baloo

------------------
"Nice guys finish last? I'll say we do!
(Sometimes we last for hours.)"
-- Me
http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
If you liled "The Tick"...

Drat! Drat! Drat! [Bangs head against wall.]

I need smaller fingers or one of those "Giant Button" keyboards the size of a piano.

The thread topic was supposed to be If you liked "The Tick"...

Oh well.

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked them both.
I hope they do a Mystery Men sequel.

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shouldn't this be in General Sci-Fi?

------------------
"Not so fast, Space Clown! My time-space manipulator has assembled an army of invisible cavemen to block your reverse polarity ray!"

- Future Man, Curses, Space Ghost: Coast to Coast.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Picky, picky, picky.

Why? It sure wasn't science fiction -- more of a comedy or satire. Mystery Men was a live-action cartoon, not a sci-fi epic.

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This was a funny movie. I saw it in theatres. I especially loved it when they killed the guy they were supposed to be saving.. *L*

------------------
Falls don't hurt. It's the sudden stop when you reach the bottom that hurts.

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Fabrux :P

------------------
"The lies I told are not falsehoods according to my definition of truth." Bill Clinton

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was an excellent movie. My fiancee on the other hand.... well, she didn't like it at all.

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the thread is fine where it is.

Though I think that superheroes, while a distinct subgenre, are still part of the over-arching "science fiction & fantasy" genre.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, well, I suppose one might think that, if one thinks sci-fi and fantasy even belong to a single genre to begin with... :-)

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's where the term "speculative fiction" comes from.

------------------
"While it is true that 15% of home accidents are caused by large penis related incidents, only a small number have ever been known to be fatal."

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

Trust me. "Mystery Men" was not speculative fiction. Entertaining BS, maybe...

--Baloo

------------------
-- Me

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

I'm just saying that superheroes fall into a subgenre of science fiction, is all.

------------------

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So does that mean we're going to see "The Tick" On Sci-Fi instead of Comedy Central???? I think Sci-Fi is reaching too far in its classification as it is. Granted everything can be considered Sci-Fi in its own way (Including Religion)

------------------
Well I'm a Bada$$ cowboy living in a cowboy day wicky-wicky-wak yo yo bang bang
me and Artemus Clydefrog go save Selma Hayek from the big metal spider
Wicky-wicky-wak wicky-wicky-wicky-wak
Bada$$ cowboy from the West Si-yiide

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Speculative fiction"? Fiction is speculative! That's why it's fiction!

------------------
"This is Major Tom to ground control. I'm stepping through the door, and I'm floating in a most peculiar way. And the stars look very different today..."
-David Bowie, "Space Oddity"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps