Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Is drug use really that widespreed? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is drug use really that widespreed?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ninety minutes NNE of NY? Is that still in the US, or into Canada? It seems to me like it should be somewhere around New Hampshire or Maine, and yet you used metric heights... :-)

Oh, and I don't really use any drugs regularly. I take ibuprofen or acetaminophen (read: Advil or Tylenol) if I've got a headache, decongestant if I get a cold (e.g. right now), but that about covers it. Gods know I could probably use an antidepressant or two now and again, but, well, I don't need any damned happy-pills, thank you very much! *L*

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, it claims to be an antihistamine, Liam, but damned if it helps. On the other hand, I probably only remember the times when it doesn't, and forget the times when it does.

------------------
"Twentieth century go and sleep.
Really deep. We won't blink
Your eyes are burning holes through me.
I'm not scared I'm outta here.
I'm not scared. I'm outta here.
--
R.E.M.
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Please?

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
NH or Maine 90 minutes from NYC?? I think NOT! (POOF!!...a little Descartesian humor...)

No, I'm on the NY/CT border...in CT, but not that it exists outside the "Triangle"...right, Frank? And the metric values are habit. Building models, it's easier to work in the meter than the bloody buggery bastard English Standard (which they don't even USE anymore!!). And yeah, I'm that geek who refuses to think in 12-hour time, too.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hm... I always thought New England was smaller. Never been there, though, so I guess it's not surprising I'm wrong. :-)

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Imperial System. It's called the imperial system.

The lovely nose-stuff I'm using at the moment is called *has a look* Flixonase. And it bloody hurts. I'd leave it out altogether, except for the fact this I wear contact lenses, and with bad hay-fever I spend most of my time poking myself in the eyes screaming "MAKE THE PAIN STOP!" and resisting the urge to just pull them out and submerge them in Vinegar.

It's still interesting how much you know/care though. Take Tim's ibuprofen or acetaminophen (read: Advil or Tylenol) if I've got a headache, decongestant if I get a cold..."

Over here, it'd be "I've got a headache." "Take some paracetomol". And that about covers it for headaches. And if you've got a cold, well, that's your cue to spend the day hiding in your bedroom, demanding that everyone else in the house make you tea every hour.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"
- Polly Ester; Samurai Pizza Cats

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
All while growing up I took no drugs. None whatsoever, not even tylenol. When I turned 15 though, I ended up on some allergy meds, and I've been on those off and on in varying doses since then. Also, for my Carpal Tunnel and Tendonitis, they have been known to put me on high dose anti-inflammatories. Being the world's worst patient though, I take things for a week and then get bored and forget about them.

A few months ago I was on 2 allergy meds, a med for my wrist, and also Paxil for insomnia. I ended up going off of them cold turkey though, and though it was hard at first, I seem to be surviving.

I hate drugs, and I hate doctors, however I do feel that in some cases they're necessary. A lot of the time though, I DO think they're over prescribed. But... what are we to do about it? As long as people will buy into them, prescriptions will be around.

~LOA

------------------
No, you CAN'T see my picture!

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Ninety minutes NNE of NY? Is that still in the US, or into Canada? It seems to me like it should be somewhere around New Hampshire or Maine, and yet you used metric heights..."

You, uh, haven't been to the Northeastern U.S. much, have you, TSN?

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, Shik you're sort of right...Paxil (Paroxetine) is of that class of drugs known as Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors (SSRIs). This family also includes Celexa (Citalopram), Luvox (Fluvoxamine), Prozac (Fluoxetine), and Zoloft (Sertraline).

The Selective SRI works in that it prevents the uptake of serotonin...it does not induce the production of serotonin.

But this class of drug is also used for social anxiety disorder, panic disorder, depression, and obsessive compulsive disorder (OCD).

I take Luvox for obsessive compulsive disorder.

------------------
Oh, goody, the Sea Monkeys I ordered have arrived. Heh heh heh, look at them cavort and caper.
~C. Montgomery Burns

And be sure to visit The Field Marshal project http://fieldmarshal.virtualave.net/

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, DAT'S da shit!!

Heh....my doctor tried me on Wellbutrin for about a month. I took myself off of it after a week when I held a large knife at my housemate's asshole boyfriend & told him in no uncertain terms that I would flay the skin from his very body while he was still alive if he didn't stop being a jackass.

He's still a jackass, but I'm not on Wellbutrin...LOL...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Garak: I believe I mentioned that I've never been there... :-)

Liam: The only reason I used the terms "ibuprofen" and "acetaminophen" is, one, to show off that I know what they're really called (*L*), and, two, because using the brand names would be too specific. I'm pedantic, remember? :-)

------------------

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: SPC Rules!!!!! Where on earth did you find that quote.

As for the drugs thing. I think caffeine is more addictive than any other drug known. It also screws with your body chemistry more than others. (I should know, I'm drinking a Dew right now.) Of course when you have to quit smoking, and are out of Paxil with no possibility of renewing your prescription, then caffeine is all that's left.

Let us all imagine a world with no drugs at all. I tried it once. Hated it.

------------------
Look at the past few years:
Jimmy Carter: Who we kidding, Valium Posterchild. We go to:
Ronald Reagan, Howdy Doody Sr. If it keeps getting benign, we might end up with:
Mr. Rogers, "Can you say Armageddon? Oops, too late." Or we can get macho and have:
Jack Nicholson vs. Clint Eastwood, Shortest debate in history, all Jack will have to say is "How can you debate me, you haven't opened your goddammed eyes in twenty years."

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I got it from my video collection Saiya. I've got the first 5 episodes, the clip show, and "the Pizza Cat are only Human", where they got the funky armour for the first time.

They should bring it back. It was far better than Star Trek has ever been.

------------------
"A fully functioning, cybernetic, technologically advanced team of superheroes... and NOBODY'S got a flashlight?"
- Polly Ester; Samurai Pizza Cats

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still have a few episodes taped randomly somewhere. My fiancee found one episode, but lost it. I did however find a site with some entire episodes on it, but lost it as well. Trying to find it again. Heard there was some petition to put it on Fox Family or something.

------------------
Ronald Reagan, Howdy Doody Sr. If it keeps getting benign, we might end up with:
Mr. Rogers, "Can you say Armageddon? Oops, too late." Or we can get macho and have:
Jack Nicholson vs. Clint Eastwood, Shortest debate in history, all Jack will have to say is "How can you debate me, you haven't opened your goddammed eyes in twenty years."

Saiyanman Benjita
Member # 122

On topic, though, it should also be known that most of the stronger over the counter medications are banned in the US without prescription (Such as Codeine, etc.)

------------------

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TSN doesn't get out at all. He didn't even know that TWA owns St. Louis, and he lives in St. Louis!

Connecticut doesn't exist at all. Er, um.

Meanwhile, I don't take any medication regularly, although I tend to keep cough drops around a lot. Also, like Sol, I'm addicted to spuds.

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps