Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Is drug use really that widespreed? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Is drug use really that widespreed?
Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A widely-held thought, Frank...but an incorrect one!

Taking into account factors such as population density, government project fund distributions, sports team alleigances, media coverage, & per capita income, I've come to the conclusion that Connecticut only exists alone the coast & in the Triangle.

For those of you who are new to the game, "let me 'splain. No, there is too much. Let me sum up." While the state of Connecticut exists within the prescribed boundaries legally, culturally, it's MUCH smaller. Go get your atlases, encyclopedias, what have you....turn to the map of Connecticut. Now, put your finger on Hartford. Draw a line down to New Haven. From there, draw a line to Waterbury, then back to Hartfoprd. That's the Triangle. From Greenwich to Groton along the Sound is the rest of the state.

To the left, you have what's essentially New York--the alleigances are all there. To the right, you have the Rhode Island weirdos. To the top, you have the Massachusetts freaks. All of us hate the Connecticut folks in the Triangle for they get all the funding, all the attention, all the tourism, all the goodies.

Little do they know I've been saltpetering their water.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a mighty small triangle, you know. One that I am nonetheless contained within, however. (Wait a minute...saltpeter...)

------------------
June is National Accordion Awareness Month.
"And as we all know, 454 Okudagrams equals an Okudapound." - Rick Sternbach

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now, technically, I don't live in St. Louis. I live in St. Louis County, about five or ten minutes away from the St. Louis city limits. So, nyah! :-)

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Getting back to the OP:

I just turned 42 (last Thursday -- thanks for all the cards 'n' letters :P). As an OP (Older Person) I find that, having survived numerous injuries, one motorcycle accident, and one serious car wreck, injuries come back to haunt you.

I have a bad shoulder (aches sometimes & I can't sleep on it) and a bad knee (3 steel pins and 3 day's advance warning of really bad weather -- I wonder if they'd used seven pins I'd get a week's advance warning?). Occasionally I get a migraine headache (on the migraine scale of pain, mine rate a "1" -- at least my head doesn't explode).

I use (infrequently) ibuprophen (800 mg horse-pills) for the occasional migraine or insistent shoulder or knee ache. One pill usually kills the pain in ~30 minutes, and it usually doesn't come back.

I also get infrequent heartburn. Once every few months (usually when I'm stressed) I'll take some Tums (actually the generic equivalent from Wal-Mart) or some acid blocker (AAFEES' cheap imitations sold at the Base Exchange). If I'm really feeling cheap, I'll just mix a tablespoon of Baking soda with some water and drink that down. It makes you belch real good, but yuo have to take it a few times to quench the fires.

During the spring, I sometimes get allergies. Usually I just try to be well-stocked with kleenex�, but sometimes I need REAL drugs. When I'm really stopped up but need to stay awake I take pseudoephedrine hydrochloride (Sudafed or its generic equivalent). If staying awake isn't an important issue, then I'll take tripolidine with pseudoephedrine (Actifed or its G.E.)

When I've got a persistant cough, I'll take an expectorant cough syrup (it doesn't suppress the coughing, it just loosens the phlegm up so you can hawk loogies).

I try to avoid taking any drug unless it's necessary. That way, if it is necessary, I don't have any built-up tolerance for the drug, and it works better.

I do smoke (it boosts adrenalin and endorphin production, but I didn't know that when I started smoking). I also have an occasional drink (a good beer or brandy, but since I don't often drink it doesn't take much).

Any questions?

~~Baloo

------------------
Beer lovers take note:
Stroh's spelled backwards is "shorts."

http://www.geocities.com/cyrano_jones.geo/

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I just turned 42 (last Thursday -- thanks for all the cards 'n' letters :P)."

You should have made a public spectacle out of it, like some other guy did. Happy birthday anyway.

------------------
It's not my birthday
It's not today
It's not my birthday so why do you lunge out at me?
--
They Might Be Giants
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! I'll give you a cookie.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo: Hm... I thought you had quit smoking...?

------------------
"How many Libraries of Congress per second can your software handle?"
-Avery Brooks, IBM commercial

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm not on any regular scripts, but I know a lot of people who are, mostly anti-depressants. I think if I went to see a doctor, I'd end up on an anti-depressant.

------------------
Fool of a Took, throw yourself in next time!!
Gandalf

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps