Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Kursk (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Kursk
Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
By this time, you've all heard of a sunken Russian sub in the Barents Sea. In last report, the men are still alive, but rescue operations are next to impossible and the men are running out of air.

What a way to go.........

*bows head*

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think I read in the paper this morning that Russia finally asked Norway for help. *snicker* Seriously, I think some other countries are sending rescue subs and such.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, Brittain, too.

Seriously, Russia is too ambitious for its own good. The simply CAN NOT form a modern military safely with the resources available to them. This isn't the first time something like this has happened.
http://abcnews.go.com/sections/world/DailyNews/sub000816_2.html
http://www.newsmax.com/articles/?a=2000/8/16/154524

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Russians could have asked for help earlier. It waited for two whole days before asking Norway and the UK to help. A specially designed Rescue sub is on its way now, but won't get there for another few days. By then, its crew may already be dead.

------------------
"My Name is Elmer Fudd, Millionaire. I own a Mansion and a Yacht."
Psychiatrist: "Again."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Russians do have their own rescue "bell" which they were trying, but were stopped by weather. If you think about it, if they had asked the UK earlier, I doubt if it would have changed the situation much, due to the weather.

Some info on the Kursk:
Russian Submarine Kursk K-141, Krasnodar (Oscar II) class nuclear-powered guided missle submarine, launched 1995, part of Northern Fleet (based in Severomorsk)

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but if they'd asked the US, the Navy could've had Mystic or Avalon there on a C-5 within 12 hours.

Don't get me started on the Soviet sub forces...

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I believe the UK sub was being flown in too, since I saw on the news a Russian IL-76 carrying a sub of some kind.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the US did offer assistance should the Russians ask, but I believe there are incompatibility issues with hatches or something like that.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well if the Russians had asked earlier instead of using crude diving bells on the sub the US might have been able to modify one of the DSRVs. At the least a team couldv'e gotten up there quickly. It appears Russian pride has doomed the crew, if they are not dead from CO2 posioning already.

------------------
Fire the technobabble!

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The "candycane" that the Russians are sending down is relatively modern, actually. Like someone said above, the weather and the current is preventing a successful lock-on and shabby Russian equipment is probably not to blame too much. And what makes you think a DSRV could get from San Diego to Murmansk any faster than the LR5 from Scotland?

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am not sure really, but a DSRV may be better adapt. I dunno. But the US could have them there within 24 hours according to official info.

------------------
Fire the technobabble!

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mystic & Avalon are designed to be able to be deployed aboard C-5 "Galaxys" within 12 hours to any spot in the world. They're fitted with universal docking collars to latch onto 98% of the subs in the world, including the vast majority of Western & Soviet-issue boats; considering the Oscar is a relatively new design, there's no problem.

What would most likely happen is that an American sub would be called in from the Arctic region to dock at Murmansk, where the DSRV would be bolted onto the aft escape trunk. That would enable quick rescue options without needing a surface support vessel; weather & whatnot thus don't become a factor.

------------------
"Do you know how much YOU'RE worth??.....2.5 million Woolongs. THAT'S your bounty. I SAID you were small fry..." --Spike Spiegel

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, it was explicitly stated on the news here that docking ports weren't compatable. As the story goes, the Americans went to the Soviets when the DSRVs were under development hoping for a docking collar would work to rescue a ship on either side. But they were poo-pooed by the Soviets at the time.

Where'd that 98% number come from, then?

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

[This message has been edited by The_Tom (edited August 18, 2000).]

Shik
Member # 343

I guy I knew who was on Mystic's support team.

It's not really a matter of compatability of hathces. The hatch is simple: wheel is turned, door is opened. It's whether they can get a dry seal through the skirt. Oscars have a flat decks as do most SSBNs. There's no reason the aft escape trunk couldn't be used...UNLESS the crew can't reach it. THEN I can see a slight problem, as reaching that forward trunk is annoying, due to bow curve & such.

------------------

Shik
Member # 343

More info on the DSRVs: Apparently, Avalon was inactivated in July. I was exploring the page listed about & I found this one, too. Hit the link for "Manned Submersibles," then scroll a bit to the Mystic-class.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps