Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Kursk (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Kursk
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I here that the Russians are saying that most of the crew could already be dead. Apparently, there were two explosions on board the Kursk. One onboard torpedo detonated causing a chain reaction that caused a few others to detonate. These explosions caused a huge hull breech on the forward starboard side where most of the crew would have been working. Some of the crew died from the explosion while the rest of the crew in the area didn't have enough time to evacuate the section and seal it off before it could flood the area.

------------------
Teddy Roosevelt: "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
Yosemite Sam: "Well, I speak loudly and I carry a bigger stick...and I use it too!"

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

My guess is the crew died immediately-all of them..

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, they did have radio contact briefly after the accident, and as of the time rescue times arrived, there was "accoustic contact" (read: banging on the hull), so someone survived, at least for a while. Of course, if there're only a few people left alive, that should mean the air will last considerably longer...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

My guess is the crew died immediately-all of them..

I think I remember hearing that someone was picking up sounds from the sub at first, then quite. I heard this morning that the front of the sub is mostly gone. I've heard two versions of how the can get oxygen, one said they have to have the reactors going, the other said they could do it with batteries, but the bridge was in the forward section, and is reportedly gone, so it is unlikely that anyone survived long.

Good to see you post RW!

------------------
Sailing the Slipstream

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the crew being killed is possible, all of them is highly unlikely. If Russian subs are designed similar to American subs, then the sleeping quarters would be more to the aft of the sub. All the entire crew wouldn't be awake at a single time (crews working on shifts). The paper today says from the latest photos that there is only a large hole in the front, not that the entire section is gone. The bridge is most likely underneath the tower, and is farther back from the hole, making it possible that the bridge crew survived at least the initial explosion.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
The simply CAN NOT form a modern military safely with the resources available to them. This isn't the first time something like this has happened.

At least not with their economy in the tank, like it is right now. The Russians probably have some of the finest human resources in the world (thinks of Sakharov), though their potential is overshadowed by transitional problems and the economic instability that follows it.

The Russians have been infamous for cutting maintance on virtually everything to save money. Chernobyl beeing at the apex of all these disasters.

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, Chernobyl (isn't the more accurate spelling now considered Chornobyl or somesuch?) had little to do with cutbacks. It had to do with a lack of safety precautions and operator incompetance. And the safety precautions (namely a standard containment vessel) could have been there, they were brushed aside more by Soviet confidence in there not being accidents than by an unwillingness to pay for them.

The CBC's National Magazine had Tom Clancy on last night, who seemed to think that based on what he's heard, most or all of the crew would be dead within a minute or two. Putin's now saying that he was told right at the outset by his military men that there was essentially no hope of survivors. (BTW, those Russian admirals have kewl hats).

Interestingly, radiographers in Norway have found no evidence of increased radioactivity in the Barent's sea, suggesting the crew probably had time to shut down the reactor after the accident.

------------------
"...I was just up in Canada, Toronto actually. You know, they really hate you guys [Americans] up there? The funny thing is, they think you hate them back, when in fact, you just couldn't be bothered to care. Now in Ireland, it's a different story. At least we had the common decency to wait until the English invaded before we started hating them. I guess the Canadians are hating you in advance..."
-Irish Comic Ed Byrne on Canada-US relations

Delta Vega
Member # 283

- posted      Profile for Delta Vega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*news update*
The British mini-sub LR-5 (IIRC) has arrived on the scene. They are deciding how to go forth with the rescue.

------------------
Ich brenne! Haben Sie Wasser?!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And it's Tjernobyl.
Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Or Chernobyl if you're not into unvoicing voiced affricates.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

Amadeus
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What are their subs in the water anyway? Its not like we're at war. What other purpose do they have except to move around in the water? What a waste.

------------------
Creator of Project Phoenix
[email protected]

IP: Logged
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Amadeus: I really hope that you're using a form of dramatic irony to prove a point that I don't "get".

------------------
Efficiency is a highly developed form of laziness. - anon (...and boy am I efficient...)
A real diplomat is one who can cut his neighbour�s throat without having his neighbour notice it. � Trygve Lie

[This message has been edited by Mucus (edited August 19, 2000).]

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The sub was doing training exercises, I think.

------------------
Frank's Home Page
"I really want a flying pogo-stick." - Antag

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If the subs aren't in the water, then there is no way for them to start/stop WWIII.

------------------
"The things hollow--it goes on forever--and--oh my God!--it's full of stars!" -David Bowman's last transmission back to Earth, 2001: A Space Odyssey

The 359 Webpage

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh so only the US is allowed to have subs in the water now, Amadeus?

------------------
"We have HTML and images in sigs disabled here. Don't try it. If you do, I'll shove the image up your ass, then ban you. Have a nice day. :)"
-Charles Capps, August 13, 2000

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps