Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » mutant powers (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: mutant powers
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I could control people's minds.....

*Makes Pat Robertson freak out during taping of the 700 Club, declaring his romantic love for Boy George*

"Sir, I think I'll buy that Lambourghini for a dollar..."

*Gives Saddam Hussein a brain aneurysm*

Now, where WAS that Sorority house?

Who needs world peace, when you can have world piece?

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*lol* PopMaze! Of course I probably thought up a different way of what you meant.

------------------
Where's the bathroom on this ship?

Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry--been gone for a while. I've read some marvel stuff but that was 10-15 years ago. I have no idea what's going on now days. I was just wondering what sort of things people wished they could do. I'm all about convience. I wasn't planning on saving the world or anything, just a little time in the day.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

SCSImperium
Member # 397

- posted      Profile for SCSImperium     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
telekinesis

Is it just my ignorant self, or did you get that from SS2? At least that's where I first heard it from.

As for superhuman powers, I'd like to have stellar manipulation. Make Earth stop to make the day longer or launch Mars into Jupiter for fireworks on the Fourth of July ...

------------------
-Small Computer Systems Interface "Scuzzy" Emperor

Operator of the Goulag Hotel, maintainer of the workhouses.

Operator of Cargill Conglomerate Publications, http://www.cargillconglomerate.com

"Woman is deprived of rights from lack of education, and the lack of education results from the absence of rights. We must not forget that the subjection of women is so complete, and dates from such distant ages, that we are often unwilling to recognize the gulf that separates them from us."

Tolstoy, on a more objective note.

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think the concept of telekinesis is rather old, actually. Ancient, one might say.
Fructose
Member # 309

- posted      Profile for Fructose     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, I knew what it was a long time ago.

------------------
It doesn't matter if you don't know what you're doing as long as you look good doing it.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Telekinesis is a real word. "Tele" means "distance", such as "television" or "telephone". "Kinesis" is the noun form of "kinetic", as in "kinetic energy", which you may remember from physics or chemistry class to be energy of movement. Hence, "movement from a distance", or, in other words, you're moving things w/ your mind, w/o actually touching them.

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."
-Frank Gerratana, 17-Aug-2000

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, and the "concept" has prolly been around longer than latin, in old stories/legends/myths of people who could move things with the mind, like shamans, witches, warlocks, gurus? Has there been any biblical event involving it?

------------------
Ready for the action now, Dangerboy
Ready if I'm ready for you, Dangerboy
Ready if I want it now, Dangerboy?
How dare you, dare you, Dangerboy?
How dare you, Dangerboy?
I dare you, dare you, Dangerboy...

�on Flux, "Thanatophobia"

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is SS2?

------------------
"I threw bitter tears at the ocean
But all that came back was the tide..." 'I Will Not Forget You' Sarah McLachlan

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all miracles were done by God, or His proxies, and God isn't usually nearby, so...

But as for a specific instance, there's the whole thing with the stone in front of Christ's tomb moving, or the temple curtain tearing in two (assuming that wasn't metaphorical, but there's no reason to assume it was...), and that Philistine god Dagon falling over in the presence of the ark of the covenant...

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dagon was probably trying to get away.

"Augh! Yahweh people w/ relics! Get them away!"

------------------
"It's like the Star of David or something. But without the whole Judaism thing."

Nim
Member # 205

I know this is the wrong thread, but I have to ask. What WAS the ark, anyway? Many illustrations has described it as a box of sorts, but what does it contain? Just God's Wrath, like in Indiana Jones? And is that word, ark, used anywhere else in english, other than as a boat?
Fructose
Member # 309

The 'ark' you speak of, The Ark of the Covennant, was the container for the pieces of the tablets that the original Ten Commandments were written on. Moses smashed them when he came back down from the mountain and saw that his followers were 'misbehaving.' And and ark can generally mean a shelter or refuge (sp?). That's why the boat was called an ark, it sheltered the animals, Noah and his family.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

The Ark of the Covenant was the big box they kept various holy stuff in. The big thing in it was the tablets w/ the ten commandments on them. It was also supposed to be a symbol of Yahweh's presence. Originally, they carried it around w/ a couple poles (no-one but the priests could actually touch it; one guy did so Yahweh fried his ass right there), but later, after the Temple was built, the ark was stored in the "Holy of Holies", which was sort of an �bersanctuary where only the high priests could go.

If you want to know what the thing looked like, here's the description in the book of Exodus, chapter 25, verses 10-22, where Yahweh tells Moses how to have the Hebrews build it:

"They shall make an ark of acacia wood; two cubits and a half shall be its length, a cubit and a half its breadth, and a cubit and a half its height. And you shall overlay it with pure gold, within and without shall you overlay it, and you shall make upon it a molding of gold round about. And you shall cast four rings of gold for it and put them on its four feet, two rings on the one side of it, and two rings on the other side of it. You shall make poles of acacia wood, and overlay them with gold. And you shall put the poles into the rings on the sides of the ark, to carry the ark by them. The poles shall remain in the rings of the ark; they shall not be taken from it. And you shall put into the ark the testimony which I shall give you. Then you shall make a mercy seat of pure gold; two cubits and a half shall be its length, and a cubit and a half its breadth. And you shall make two cherubim of gold; of hammered work shall you make them, on the two ends of the mercy seat. Make one cherub on the one end, and one cherub on the other end; of one piece with the mercy seat shall you make the cherubim on its two ends. The cherubim shall spread out their wings above, overshadowing the mercy seat with their wings, their faces one to another; toward the mercy seat shall the faces of the cherubim be. And you shall put the mercy seat on the top of the ark; and in the ark you shall put the testimony that I shall give you. There I will meet with you, and from above the mercy seat, from between the two cherubim that are upon the ark of the testimony, I will speak with you of all that I will give you in commandment for the people of Israel."

------------------

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited September 04, 2000).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

Hey! Don't post while I'm making a more detailed response than yours! :-)

Oh, and I believe, after Moses busted up the first set of tablets, he got some news ones, and those went into the Ark, not the original bits.

------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps