Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » there has GOT to be a better hobby than this (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: there has GOT to be a better hobby than this
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No worries mate.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A rifle... For bees...

*slowly shakes his head and walks off*

------------------
Teal'c: "I am a traitor to no-one."
Jaffa woman: "Except your god!"
Teal'c: "False god! Dead false god..."
-Stargate: SG-1, "Into the Fire"

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude, I'm not talking about using an M-16 with full-metal-jacketed rounds, here. It's a .22 rimfire. One step up from a friggin' BB gun.

I use .22 birdshot. Have you ever used it? It's not really effective on birds, but it works well on large insects. In fact, that's probably the ONLY thing you could kill with it.

Usually I only ever shoot at the bees I can't reach with a flyswatter. Since they nest in roof eaves, and those are usually higher than my arms' reach...

Swatting them, however, is much better on your cardiovascular system. Like a batter trying to bat a ball that changes speed and direction randomly, and can hover for a moment before changing course.

It's fun. Especially when they get mad.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'd never heard of using shot in a rifle. Sounds like a larf, though, shooting bees with a rifle.

------------------
"Unleash the armageddon,
So all the children go to heaven"

"Blue Skies Bring Tears"-The Smashing Pumpkins.

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's very little difference in size, caliber-wise, between a .22 bullet and a 5.56mm M-16 round. How big is a carpenter bee?

------------------
"I don't give a good fuck what you know or don't know, I'm going to torture you anyway."

- Mr. Blonde

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, roughly as big as the average man's index finger from the nail to the first knuckle. Excluding wingspan.

I said shot, not bullet.

------------------
"Ed Gruberman, you fail to grasp Ty Kwan Leap. Approach me, that you might see." -- The Master

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, and if I'm not mistaken, an M16 bullet goes WAY faster than a standard rifle bullet. Speed's a lot more important than caliber, if you're trying to kill someone. Sure, the higher caliber makes you bleed more, but the speed gives more kinetic energy. As kinetic energy is 1/2mv^2, with twice the speed, you get four times the energy. Since the human body is composed mainly of water, and that's not compressible, if you absorb that much kinetic energy, it's gonna set up a nice little shockwave in your body. Bye-bye, higher brain functions.

------------------
"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
- George Bernard Shaw

[This message has been edited by Omega (edited October 11, 2000).]

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In what form do you get the shot? Are there special shot cartridges for rifles?

------------------
"Unleash the armageddon,
So all the children go to heaven"

"Blue Skies Bring Tears"-The Smashing Pumpkins.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

The shot comes in .22 cartridges, made up just like regular bullets, except with a perforating nose.

------------------

Lee
Member # 393

A shotgun cartidge for rifles eh. interesting. What does it do to the bees?

------------------
"I don't give a good fuck what you know or don't know, I'm going to torture you anyway."

- Mr. Blonde

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tickles them gamely between their abdomen and thorax, I'd imagine.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It takes them on a little trip.

*dramatic pause*

To another dimension!

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

Generally, it kills them, the same way as shot from a shotgun would kill a bird or small mammal, through multiple small shot penetrations. Just on a smaller scale, coz it's birdshot and bees.

Sometimes, though, at close range, it vaporizes them.

------------------

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Noooo. It doesn't kill them. We can't have children learning that tearing great big holes in living things kills them. It might warp their fragile little minds.

------------------
"Why do you want to spend time with a deer? They're so stupid, they get hypnotized by headlights!" - Guido Anchovy

Lee
Member # 393

Yeah no reset button for these little bastards.

------------------

- Mr. Blonde

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps