Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » A very disturbing thought... (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: A very disturbing thought...
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omega, why is going by popular vote not right, other than when we have a close election such as this. Once every 2 generations that have to recount close calls isn't to bad.
After all, a popular vote would actually elect the team in to office that the people vote for.
The county by county EC would work also.
Also, the EC doesn't stop the bigger states from over whelming the smaller ones, Florida with 25 EC votes, and Nevada(?) with 4? Not 4 each, or 25 each. No difference.

------------------
I see a red door and I want it painted black

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but what's to stop a particular state from subdividing itself into myriad counties, and thus getting more votes? What about that one state that just has three REAL big counties (somewhere in the NE, IIRC)? That's not quite fair, either. The states themselves should be represented somehow, just not the way they are now.

How 'bout THIS: say that each state gets whatever number of electoral votes it gets now. When election time comes around, say one cantidate gets 55% of the vote, the other 45%. The first would get 55% of the electoral votes, the second 45%, with any fractional votes going to the winner, for obvious reasons. This system would be relatively easy to modify for third party cantidates.

This way, the states still get representation as entities, but the popular vote becomes much more important. Sound good?

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
With that, why have Electoral College at all?

I say just do away with it, and let the popular vote actually vote in the President.

It'd also be interesting to be able to vote on VP seperately, so you could end up with two different parties as POTUS, and VP. I don't know if that would actually do anything, but it might be cool.

------------------
Communism. Who wouldn't like their neighbour thrown into a goulag?

Please vote for the Communist Party of Canada This November 27th.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The electoral college was put up in the first place because during the 18th and 19th centuries, Americans were butt dumb and couldn't be counted on to vote for a competetant president."

Do I even need to say what I think about this...? :-)

"To keep the large populous states from completely overwhelming the smaller, less populous states."

To stop it?! That's exactly what it does! I mean, look at Florida! If 50.000000001% of the population votes for one candidate, he/she/it gets all 25 electoral votes. Now, let's say there's a smaller state where the entire population votes for the opposing candidate, and their population is the same as that 50.000000001% of Florida. Candidate A gets 25 electoral votes from Florida, and Candidate B only gets half as many from the other state, even though he/she/it got the same number of votes.

"What about that one state that just has three REAL big counties (somewhere in the NE, IIRC)?"

Er... Rhode Island has five counties. But then, some states have single counties that are larger than Rhode Island in its entirety. Aside from that, I don't know what you're talking about...

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

[This message has been edited by TSN (edited November 11, 2000).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He refers to Delaware, which has 3 counties: Kent, New Castle, & Sussex.

As I remember, my state of Connecticut is the only one in the Union that has no county-level government. Sherriffs are appointees & are actually being abolished. There's 8 counties here (Litchfield, Fairfield, Tolland, Middlesex, New Haven, New London, Windham & Hartford), but most people would be hard-pressed to name them all. They might get 3, possibly 4.

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only Maryland counties I know are ...

Prince Georges
Montgomery
Howard
Baltimore (which is the county where I live)
Harford
Cecil
Ann Arundel

Er ... I think we've got 25 total, maybe 13, hell, I just don't know! The eastern shore is a mystery, as is Western and Southern Maryland ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000
"You still don't understand, do you MacLeod? I am the End of Time!" - Kronos

"You're history!" - MacLeod
"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I still like my idea.

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, so Delaware does only have three. I missed that when I flipped through the atlas, since Delaware and Maryland are combined into one map.

But, still... Delaware isn't exactly the largest state around, either... :-)

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, few people realize that Delaware is preparing invasion army's for the surrounding states so that by March, 2001, Delaware will be the largest state in the union.

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Delaware will never take Maryland.

We've got the Naval Academy =)

We'll call in some airstrikes and blow Delaware to pieces.

But, I forget myself, Delaware doesn't really exist and is actually a government conspiracy ...

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

"I think anybody who doesn't think I'm smart enough to handle the job is underestimating." - George "Dubya" Bush

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

What am I saying? There's no TAX in Delaware, they can't *afford* to invade us!

(Well, no sales tax, anyway...)

------------------
Gore/Lieberman 2000

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought it was Wyoming doesn't exist.

------------------
"I do prefer the arse, but you can't dismiss the leg. They're joined at the hip, so to speak."

- Liam Kavanagh

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
According to that Garfield Special a few years back it doesn't.

------------------
I am going to Japanese cars from now on, because the auto workers got the day off to vote and the state went to Gore.
From The Port Huron Times-Herald talk back section.

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you see, the government is trying to blind us. Wyoming is just a secret code for the US's alien landing base. and who knows what's going on in Delaware...

------------------
"Life sucks, then you die"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps