Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » PS2 shortage? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: PS2 shortage?
nx001a
Member # 291

- posted      Profile for nx001a     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
$15,000 for a PS2 is crazy and i did not believe it. Not surprised that the guy never recieved the money for it. I wonder what one can buy with that amount of money. If someone offered me that much money for my PS2 i think i will have to say yes.

Sony claim that the reason they are having problems is that they are reducing the size of the PS2 chip from 0.25 microns to 0.18 microns. A micron (hope i spelt that right) is a 1000th of a mm (i think). Any way the reason for this is to free up space for the harddrive bay that US and European PS2 have. However if u believe that story is another matter.

------------------
"We set sail on this new sea because their is new knowledge to be gained and new rights to be won" John F Kennedy

members.aol.com/mfwan/index.htm

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not that I can afford it, but I'll wait until they're all out, and then make a decision. The Gamecube may be better (I still prfered the name "Dolphin" though), but having better specs doesn't mean you'll have the machine with the best support or games. Can you say N64, which, for the last year, has been almost completely reliant on Pokemon to sell?

As long as they release Final Fantasy X on the PC though, I'll be happy. But damn Visual Arts (or whoever) for releasing Grandia II on the Dreamcast. Damn them all to hell. Raaa!

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, a micron is the same as a micrometer, one one-millionth of a meter, or one one-thousandth of a millimeter.

------------------
"What he did to that walrus gentle-man was inexcusable."
-T. Herman Zweibel on "Mr. Woodrow Wood-pecker", The Onion, 7-Nov-2000

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam: can you say "Gamecube still uses cartridges?"

Then there's X-Box...

------------------
"Omigod. Singing meat. This is altogether too much."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uh, GameCube does NOT use cartridges. It uses new mini-DVDs that will be unique to GameCube.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ach, give me a PC any day. What's the fun of having a game if you can't hack it to pieces?

------------------
Francesca: He was born on the tundra, that's where he belongs. You'll kill him if you take him to Toronto.
Thatcher: That's a bit drastic, don't you think?
Francesca: Look, I've been to Toronto. Trust me, nothing can survive there. - "due South"

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree, PC games are better than console ones IMO, unless you don't have a joystick/controller on the PC.

------------------
[6th Sense] I see dumbass people [/6th Sense]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For "Mini-DVD's unique to the gamecube" read "non mass-market product" = "higher price".

------------------
"If every vampire who said he was at the Crucifixion was actually there it would've been like Woodstock. I was at Woodstock. I fed off a flower person and I spent six hours watching my hand move." - Spike, BtVS

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye, but the PSOne is being raped by software a pirates in the Far East. Sony are losing a packet thanks to some dubious hoers in China with a CD burner and a truck.
Same thing happened Nintendo with the NES and the SNES years ago - still does, now that I think about it.

Sure, they'll crack Nintendo's new "proprietary DVD", but it won't be for a good year after it's release, I'd imagine.

------------------
Remember December '59
The howling wind and the driving rain,
Remember the gallant men who drowned
On the lifeboat, Mona was her name.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In eBay-related news, someone has apparently tried to auction the presidency. It was removed from the listings, but I heard that it got up to $100,000,000.

------------------
"You know, you--you let a wolf save your life, they make you pay and pay and pay..."
- Fraser, "due South"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL!

I wish I'd've thought of that!!!!!

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Continuing to boldly go ...

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
GameCube will actually be one of the cheapest systems ever launched, with projected retail price at launch being only $200. Those mini-DVDs are being developed by a Japanese company which will launch it's own version of the GameCube, under a different name, which will run DVD Movies only, not games.

------------------
Me: "Why don't you live in Hong Kong?"
Rachel Roberts: "Hong Kong? Nah. Oh, but we can live in China! Yeah, China has great Chinese food!"

(discussion with fellow classmate, 9/5/00)

Mustang Class Starship Development Project

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sure, the PC's great, but only if you want to shell out $2000 to play the same games you can play on a $99 system (From personal experience, FF7 runs smoothly on a Pentium II, but FF8 needed a Pentium III.). Besides, PCs don't have cool Japanese RPGs. If Sony doesn't make future Final Fantasy games for the GameCube, I'll probably have to get a PS2, but I'll wait 'til it comes down to $200. In the mean time, I might get a PSOne if I can get away with it (from my parents). I think the PSOne's pretty worth it for me since Playstation has more RPG titles than the number of N64 games I own.

------------------
"The distinction between past, present, and future is only a stubbornly persistent illusion."
--Albert Eistein

[This message has been edited by Tora Ziyal (edited November 16, 2000).]

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I can't play any of my favorite games without a mouse and keyboard, though.

------------------
What did it mean to you
An early chat with death
To pull your body for a moment from your soul
--
Camper Van Beethoven
Read chapter one of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Gonna donate half my money to the city.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

What, not even kiss-chase?

------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps