Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Dodgy Hard Drive (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dodgy Hard Drive
Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you know anyone with another old system try your HDD in it.

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How about I pick it up and drop it repeatedly until it works? Nah, I think it's on it's last legs. Thanks for the advice though.

------------------
*Kenshiro gets off bed made from solid stone*
*Bed made from solid stone explodes*
Fist of the North Star

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited January 22, 2001).]

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That maybe the problem, it has legs....

------------------
"One's ethics are determined by what we do when no one is looking" Nugget

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It gets to the point when you just have to write your computer off. At work many of our machines are now 3 years old - 133MMXs with 2 GB HDDs and 32 MB RAM - and I've just heard we've budgeted to replace at least a hundred this year. Mind you, my home PC is a 200MMX, older than that, and it's still going strong - granted I have quadrupled the memory and disk space, though.

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I doubt you do much "fragging", as the young call it, as well.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you insinuating that he can no longer "get it up?", Liam? Really!

(Forgive me -- slightly drunk!)

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, you probably shouldn't be posting then.

Some of us do have murderous rages that are brought on by other people's incoherent stupidity. Be warned.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Indeed, UM? Thankfully, I'm quite a bit away from you, so I dare say I'll survive.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 6.83 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Forum Member Who Shall Be Nameless. 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There was a touch of stupidity but not that much and it didn't look all that incoherent to me either...
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've lost the thread here. Somebody seemed to be implying my legendary sexual stamina isn't what it used to be. Granted, I'm not Ultra Magnus, and I'm certainly not Sol, but I think I do OK. 8)

------------------
"Businesses used to be like Christianity; if you were faithful and obedient, you could obtain bliss in the afterlife of retirement. Now it's more of a reincarnation model. If the worker learns enough in his current job, he can progress to a higher level of employment elsewhere."

- Dogbert

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But how much better would you do if you did UM? Hmm?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Much better, I would assume. Chart Topping better.

So much better, in fact, that if you went to a 7-11 and asked for their best slurpie, but you didn't have enough money, so you asked for the best slurpie you could buy for $0.40, and you spilled some on the ground near a hobo who licked it up, it be better than that.

------------------
"...screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!" - Omega.

Irony ensues.

Free Jeff K

Lee
Member # 393

Woah. Does this guy know how to party, or what? 8)

------------------

- Dogbert

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yeah! He's the most party-tastic hobo in town!

------------------
-Bubbles

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm resurrecting this thread for posterity. I remembered I had started this thread and not mentioned that I fixed the problem. The problem I mentioned about kept bugging me for a few weeks, and nothing I tried would work. However, I chanced asking the admin at our college, in case he knew, and he suggested that the power connectors on the mother board were corroded, ie. the point where the power cable from the adaptor plugs into the board. So following his advice I repeatedly unplugged and plugged the connector in order to physically scrape off the corrosion, and it worked, the PC booted up fine after that and hardly never crashes now.

Unfortunately something's gone wrong with the video drivers and now I've to fix that.

------------------
"If you love wealth more than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, depart from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick the hand that feeds you. May your chains rest lightly upon you and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen"
Samuel Adams

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps