Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Dodgy Hard Drive (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Dodgy Hard Drive
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sometimes it's the most simple stuff that throws a monkey wrench into computing. Last week, I reformatted the hard drive on my little laptop. I was having major problems with defragmenter and scandisk working, so I just scrapped it all. I used the system restoration disk that came with my computer.

Well, after installing everything to factory specs and restoring all the drivers for the sound card, video card, gameport, etc., my laptop refused to restart. It would hit the "Windows is Shutting Down" screen and freeze. It shutdown just fine, and it restarted in MS-DOS mode just peachy. But it would not do a restart in Windows.

I contacted my laptop's technical support people. They couldn't figure it out. So then I turned to the Microsoft home page and (low and behold) found a help article on the problem and seven different trouble-shooting strategies. After three days of trying to figure out the problem, it took me two hours to nail down the problem to a corrupted sound card driver.

Since getting a newer version of the driver, I've no problems since then. And that big headache was caused by something so simple as a corrupted driver.

Who's side is technology on, anyway?

------------------
God (using a Devil hand puppet): Yaagh! I'm the Devil! I'm evil! I'm spooky! I'm dark! And I'm evil! Gimme an "E!" Gimme a "V!" Gimme a "U!" Gimme an "L!" What's that spell? Evil! Goooo EVIL!
Devil: Hey, yo, that shit ain't funny!
--from Tatsuya Ishida's Sinfest

Founder, president, CEO, CFO, COO, under-secretary general, mascot, and caterer of the APAO

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hmm. Well, I just acquired a 256 Meg RAM chip for my PC, yet I can only use it by itself - if I add one of my old 64 Meg ones as well, it detects only that. Strange, but I'm not particularly bothered; after all I do now have a quarter-Gig of memory!

------------------
"If Morden is afraid of green penguins, and Draal is shown to have
access to them, a speculation would be that Draal will use them
against Morden in the future. However if Draal only has a purple
moose, saying that he could use it against Morden would be a story
idea."

- rastb5m FAQ

Phasers

Jeff Raven
Always Right
Member # 20

- posted      Profile for Jeff Raven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably because your 256 is PC100 or 133, and your 64's are 66.

------------------
"Goverment exists to serve, not to lead. We do not exist by its volition, it exists by ours. Bear that in mind when you insult your neighbors for refusing to bow before it." J. Richmond

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That wouldn't affect it. If Lee had a fast CPU, then the slow RAM wouldn't be able to feed the processor fast enough, and wait states would be inserted. The computer would still run, and since the slow RAM is the old stuff, the computer wouldn't be any slower.

Not that that matters anyway. Lee has a 200mhz MMX. I suspect that they don't run with a bus speed of 100 and a multiplier of 2. 66 and a multiplier of 3 sounds much more likely. So he wouldn't need PC-100 RAM anyway.

I think it's because, in old PC systems, the SDRAM boards all had to be of the same memory size. Although a 200MMX is really old. Does it use double sided memory chips? I'd assume that it would have to, as I can't see you finding a 256mb chip for old memory types.

------------------
You know, when Comedy Central asked us to do a Thanksgiving episode, the first thought that went through my mind was, "Boy, I'd like to have sex with Jennifer Aniston."
-Trey Parker, co-creator of South Park

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why...

I WILL NEVER OWN A COMPUTER IF I CAN HELP IT UNTIL THE DAY I DIE!!!

I hate the...finnickiness (for want of a better word) of them - they crave attention, there's always some tiny thing wrong with them that'll fuck up EVERYTHING , and it's always near impossible to discover what's wrong with it!

GAAAAHH!!! Dogs abortions all!!

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The last "problem" I had with my computer was that I ran out of hard drive space. So I bought a 20GB Fujitsu drive for a thousand Kr (100$) and all was well. I reinstalled Win98SE, transferred the files I wanted to bring from the old one and all is fine now.

The only thing that will be remotely necessary to upgrade during the next twelve months is mayyybe the 3d card.
I have a GeForce DDR 32MB, works fine. But in a year, maybe the games will be so heavy in graphics that I want to smooth it out. I think the GeForce 3 will have gone down in price by then, it's already gone from 470$ to 380$ here in Sweden.

------------------
"Babies haven't any hair;
old men's heads are just as bare;
between the cradle and the grave
lies a haircut and a shave."

Samuel Hoffenstein

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, all the memory I have - the two 64 Megs, and the 256 - are 100 Mhz SDRAM. I know this (they never actually label the fucking things) because the PCs I nicked them from will only take 100 MHz SDRAM (as we found out when we tried to boost their memory using chips from older PCs).

It's no big deal really; I've already doubled my memory in one fell swoop, so what if I can't increase it again by a quarter? When I get a new PC (which I'll soon have to bite the bullet and do) I'll put my one remaining 64 chip back in the old PC, flog it to a friend and save the quarter-Gig one for my new one.

------------------
"If Morden is afraid of green penguins, and Draal is shown to have
access to them, a speculation would be that Draal will use them
against Morden in the future. However if Draal only has a purple
moose, saying that he could use it against Morden would be a story
idea."

- rastb5m FAQ

Phasers

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
....well my job is to breath life into various jurassic period PCs like 486's with bizarre, mystifying problems. (as well as working on modern machines as well, of course). But I can spend a day just searching for solutions to a small problem. But PsyLiam is right. You can't mix memory chips like that, ie a PC 133 with a PC 66. A lot of Boards will only take paired chips, like two 64's, and built by the same manufacturer. But any potential screwup can be a combination of many things.

Computers are great when they work, pains in the asses when they don't, and you'd be so suprised how many problems can be tracked down to memory problems/conflicts.

But they don't give me as many headaches as modems. They are the most nightmarish peripheral devices to work on. I hate the damn things... LOL

------------------
"Synthetic scotch, synthetic Commanders...."
-Scotty

http://www.trekmania.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Er, I didn't say that. I said that the "speed" of the memory would hav eno affect on whether or not it wasd accepted. It would just affect the overall speed of the computer. You could put PC-66 RAm in a PIII 500, and it would work. It'd just slow it down.

And, to correct a common misconception (sit down at the back):
Memory does not have "speed" as such. There is no such thing as 100mhz SDRAM. RAM speed is measured in terms of "latency". The lower the latency, the faster the RAM can feed info to the CPU. When motherboards got up to 100mhz, it was found that a lot of current SDRAM was too slow to cope with the increase in speed. All RAM that had a low enough latency to cope was labelled PC-100 RAM, for ease of identification. And older RAM was retroactively labelled PC-66.

Low latency RAM will work fine in a slow machine. PC-100 can be put into a Pentium 100 if you want. And it will operate comfortably. Put it in a PIII 500, and it will work to it's limit. Stick it in a brand new P4 that's faster than Sol after a woman, and it will struggle.

Good day.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Stick it in a brand new P4 that's faster than Sol after a woman, and it will struggle.

LOL, I joined this board to late to know about the Sol jokes, but if someone could clarify, cuz I keep hearing stuff about Sol's penis and stuff of that nature, and it's scaring me

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

I am now worried that someone will post a "hilarious" response to this. To prevent me from having to become violent, I shall ruin it for you all.

Simon has a very large penis. End of story.

(Actually, if he turns around when excited, it's the end of several stories. And whole buildings. *rim shot*)

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The insidious genius of this particular injoke is that I can never deny it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

Yes! BWAHAHAHA!

Besides, it's kinda hard for you to deny it anyway. Anyone standing within 100 feet of you could confirm it.

As an aside, I never get bored of jokes. I don't. I will keep them going and going and going until you all get so mad, you will tell me I have no time to survive make my time.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps