Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The sounds you are hearing are the death of all that is good and innocent. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The sounds you are hearing are the death of all that is good and innocent.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There, there. You are perfectly misty and fluffy, you just posted ahead of the wrong guy at the wrong time...

What style IS the PPG-humour? I've never seen it, the pictures on the homepage make it look very cheap and bad, without the lines. So? Darkwing-like? Ren&Stimpish? Duckman? Or, dareIsay, Simpsish?

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
These cute girls fight evil. Inserted are small, subtle puns, visual effects, and character plays.

Probably one of my favourites is the Boogie Man episode.

Boogie Man is a 70's style pimp.
Giant Disco ball blocking the sun (ala Simpsons)
PPG go to blow up the disco ball (Star Wars IV-esque).

It both pokes fun at anime, as well as models itself after it (big eyes, action sequences. My wife originally thought it was going to be another Sailor Moon).

Craig McCracken did an excellent job with this cartoon. If you have a chance, check it out sometime.

"One shall be the number of Mojo Jojos in the world and the number of Mojo Jojos shall be one. Two is too many and three is right out."

------------------
"Oh please. I'm wet, I'm naked. And you think this is some plot to take over the world as a wet monkey in my BIRTHDAY SUIT!"

Mojo Jojo, The Powerpuff Girls

Saiyanman Benjita's Dragonball Page

[This message has been edited by Saiyanman Benjita (edited January 31, 2001).]

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's not cheap and simple. It's stylised. Yeah, I know that sounds crap, but watch it. The style is mainly about the animation, in the same way as Batmas: The Animated Series.

It's not 100% like any of them. I wouldn't like to call it a kids show (like, say, the Rugrats), or an adult show (like the Simpsons, Duckman, or even Ren & Stimpy). The closest example of it's style of humour is Dexter's Lab, but with more action. Like Dexter's, it does a fairly wide range. Slapstick for the kids, references to anime, Star Trek, and other 70s and 80s cultural things for the teenagers and twenty year olds.

I'm not saying it's the greatest cartoon ever because that's obviously Count Duckula. What I will say is that, along with Dexter's Lab and Johnny Bravo, it is one of those 90s cartoons that shows a resurgence of the idea that cartoons can be for kids and adults. It's not like the Simpsons or King of the Hill, which both started off as animated sit-coms (although the Simpsons has veered away from that). They are cartoons. They are Loony Tunes for the present. And, often, they are pants-wettingly funny.

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"One shall be the number of Mojo Jojos in the world and the number of Mojo Jojos shall be one. Two is too many and three is right out."

Which, for the humour impaired, is a Monty Python reference.

You ever think that all the voice actors have a clause in their contracts that they get to do an impression of Mojo at least once? We've seen Bubbles and Blossom's. When will we get Buttercup's? And does Ms Bellem seem scarily like a grown-up Blossom?

------------------
"And Mojo was hurt and I would have kissed his little boo boo but then I realized he was a BAD monkey so I KICKED HIM IN HIS FACE!"
-Bubbles

Saiyanman Benjita
...in 2012. This time, why not the worst?
Member # 122

- posted      Profile for Saiyanman Benjita     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Of course it is, that is why I posted it (knowing the people that post here).

------------------
"Oh please. I'm wet, I'm naked. And you think this is some plot to take over the world as a wet monkey in my BIRTHDAY SUIT!"

Mojo Jojo, The Powerpuff Girls

Saiyanman Benjita's Dragonball Page

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If anyone didn't get that MP reference, they need to be thrown off the planet w/ the people who didn't get the Douglas Adams reference in the quote association thread.

Tests like these should be used for weeding out the population. It would make the world a better, safer, happier place.

Well, maybe not, but at least we'd get to eject a whole bunch of people into space, and that's always fun!

------------------
My new year's resolution is the same as last year's: 1024x768.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A good way to understand the Powerpuff Girls is to understand Him. Him is one of their villians. Him is apparently Satan. He wears high heels and a tasteful feather boa, and speaks in what can only be described as a demonic falsetto.

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sounds fabulous, I'll try to get some soon. Eh, and then some PPG.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His fall was not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Can you tell me at what point it seemed like a good idea to destroy the bridge? Don't answer that!"

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps