Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » To The Swedes (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: To The Swedes
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Snaps?

------------------
I will shout until they know what I mean.
--
Neutral Milk Hotel
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet"! Then, go insane!

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Schnapps.

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

- Simon Sizer, 23/01/2001

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Only in german, Lee. And sweden's not that connected to germany, except for in the summer season, when they pop up here and there, especially in the archipelagoes.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
His turnip not a small one.
We did but build his pedestal,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But, but they tip well. Um...
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And hog the deckchairs.

You actually call it snaps? But it is schnapps, right? I thought that was almost a generic term now, like whisky or vodka. . .

------------------
"I rather strongly disagree, even if I share the love of Dick. Speaking of which, that would be the most embarrasing .sig quote ever, so never use it."

Nim
Member # 205

Actually I had to translate our more correct word "br�nnvin", (word for word it means "burned wine") and the dictionary said "snaps", which is what we say. We have practically no "sch"-words in our vocabulary, (only a few exceptions), THAT'S GERMAN!! Schnapps, schwein, Schweden.

And also (as I said somewhere else before), "schmorgasboard" is an extremely distorted word. There is no sch, and the o and a is � and �, and believe it or not, the dots make a difference!
Our pronounciation is more "smur-goss bourd".

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Nim
Member # 205

But since they both have become somewhat generic as you say, it doesn't matter. What matters is it kicks you in the head. Sk�l! (scawl)

(Here I go again) At last years christmas season, my company went to Stockholm's oldest pub, built in the mid 1500's. They told us the tale of the REAL swedish spirit culture.

From the 1500's up until about 1900, virtually no male swede was sober at any time of the day. During the time of our trubadour Bellman (mid 1700's), your average party was NOT "get into taxi, go to place, drink for five hours, go home and sleep".
They had "battles" that lasted three to four days. They hardly ever drank water, the small water supply in Stockholm at the time was mostly given to cattle or used to produce more beer and liquor.
So the guys hobbling around in Gamla Stan (the old town) were called "Soldiers Of Dionysus". Him being the god of wine.

Even in the 1920's, farmhands were paid in "schnapps" or rum.
They were entitled (as the lawbook stated) to the total amount of about two litres of the stuff, every day. You got one mug in the morning, one before lunch, one during, one in the middle of the day, before, during and after dinner, and one mug before you went to sleep.

People actually did this! Sweden was about to drown in booze, had it not been for the government and the church taking an active role.
The freechurch managed to get many people off the alcohol, and our government installed a nation-wide company, SystemBolaget, that have had the monopoly on all things alcohol since then.
In our other stores you can only buy beer that is 3.5%, or less. But it's not that bad because the people at "Systemet" import almost every bottle and can worth drinking, and the staff possess great knowledge and love it if you ask for advice.
You just have to plan ahead a bit, don't go on a friday, after work.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

[This message has been edited by Nimrod (edited March 01, 2001).]

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, "schnapps" may be German, but that's what it's called in English, too. :-)

And I've never heard "smorgasbord" pronounced w/ a "sch" sound at the beginning...

------------------
We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.
"Wowsers!"
-Star Trek: Series ?: "A Pair o' Docs, part II"

Nim
Member # 205

Exactly, it has become generic. But idiomatically we say snaps (pr. snups). I knew people said schnapps, I said it before, in the Capps-trust thread.

I've heard schmorgas here and there, I remember Kevin Bacon describing their situation as dito, in "Tremors", and I think someone said it in "Deep Blue Sea", when shark attack was imminent.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

Lee
Member # 393

I heard Kevin Bacon pronounceit that way in "Tremors" and just assumed that was how it was pronounced - kinda silly considering he was playing a redneck hick. 8)

Mind you, *I* can connect myself to him in six degrees of separation, so nyah!

------------------

Nim
Member # 205

That's very good, have a Teriyaki turnip. It's a new recipe. Why thanks, yes, I try.

------------------
Here lies a toppled god,
A narrow and a tall one.

-Tleilaxu Epigram

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps