Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » .wav editing (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: .wav editing
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a little sound file I want to loop - it's an alarm sound, the TMP Intruder Alert one. Kinda topical since a big black guy walked into our offices yesterday, picked up my boss' laptop, and walked out! How would I go about editing a sound file like that?

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It might help if you actually had someone to stop the people who walk in out of the blue and walk out again with computers. They're called "security."

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cant... help... myself...

Not everyone can afford to hire security staff.
Just keep a shotgun behind the counter.
Ot better yet, make a wav. file of the sound of a pump-action shotgun being pumped.

"I'ma take this computer."
*reaches under counter, presses mouse button* *Ka-CHAK!*
"No, you aren't."
"Um, okay."

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

[This message has been edited by First of Two (edited March 22, 2001).]

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, loads of constructive advice then. We don't know how he got in, but suspect it was while the guard (who's a Turkish idiot) was away - he leaves the door locked, but there are loads of people who know the codes and would let someone in if they looked like they knew where they were going.

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then how do you know who took it?

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Lee
Member # 393

He was seen on our floor - but before anyone could think to do any more than to challenge him - and he was big and scary-looking, and they were all female - he was gone.

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What's the difference between a Turkish Idiot and your average, run-of-the-mill Idiot?

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Language mostly. The Turks tend to shoot first and forget the questions.

I used to work in a department store, where a guy walked in, grabed a display VCR, and ran to the door. I saw him as he was running, yelled to the manager, and we chased him to the car waiting in the parking lot. He jumped in and they took off, as we got the licence number. The cops checked it out, but we didn't get the VCR back. They weren't worth that much even then 15 years ago, but it still pissed me off.

------------------
Witty Remark

The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hang on a sec, I thought Vogon Poet and First of Two were the same person, what's the story?

When you say you want to loop the file, do you mean that you have the file and you just want to loop it (sorry if this insults your intelligence), or do you want to get the file in the first place? Maybe you could record it off the telly or something and subtract off the noise using AcidWav or Gold Wave (shareware available at www.goldwave.com)

------------------
"If you can't beat your computer at chess, try kickboxing."

[This message has been edited by Gurgeh (edited March 22, 2001).]

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Multiple personality disorder.

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ya must have gotten it mixed up when Vogon was formerly known as "The First One". He said that since there's already a "first", better get a new/better/flashier/catchier name.

------------------
"Or maybe he was a real quack who got sick and tired of pissing people off, and decided to get a life and masterbate for the next 10 years."
- Me to Antagonist on Red Quacker, 03/08/01 20:15

Lee
Member # 393

I was the first First. Probably. No-one's quite sure. Regardless, I'm the Quantum First and Robert's the Binary First.

As for our security guard, he's an idiot, and he's also very Turkish. Eats unspeakable-smelling food behind the desk. I'm sick of having to hold my breath while I run between lift and front door.

And - who was it who actually asked a question relating to the topic? - I have the file, but it's only 3 seconds long. I wanna loop it.

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, now that we know the difference between a Turkish idiot and a regular idiot... What's the difference between a big black thief, and a regular big thief?

Anyway, just use the Windoze Sound Recorder. In the Edit menu, use "Insert File" a few times, and keep inserting that same file, as many times as you want it to loop.

------------------
"...I know this board in secret, intimate ways which are beyond your comprehension.... Let's just say that people should *not* be telling me what to do; it should always be the other way around."
-"Red Quacker", conspiracy theorist and contemporary lunatic

Lee
Member # 393

Are you implying something?

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Perhaps he is, I might have detected a hint of racism in the preceeding posts.

------------------
"Well if it's gonna be that kind of a party, I'm putting my dick in the mashed potatoes!"

-Nimrod 16/4/2001

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps