Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Welcome to school! I kiss you! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Welcome to school! I kiss you!
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went back to college today.

Originally, I was going to write an entire page of hilarious observations about the life of the modern college student and share them with you. However, this plan hit a snag when I failed to make any hilarious observations.

Instead, I shall report on one thing. I have met the DARKSTAR of, well, religion, apparently. True, honest to Cats, unaltered quotes:

"We have to have One True Religion."

"86% of all people are Christian. If you took away all other religions, Christianity would be the One True Religion."

"People know that I'm usually right, because I download statistics and things from the Internet."

"Do you know if I'm nearsighted or farsighted?"

Um, hello? Of course not! And I think he was trying to get me to give him my glasses. Yes, they turn dark in the sunlight. That is because I am a badass.

Seriously, I feel a little bad about all this. This guy is in my psychology class, and he's obviously dealing with a minor developmental problem or two. He claimed to recognize me from some church bus. In a town I was never in. But he knew my name! Maybe from the class role, but I think it was before that.

Anyway, I have now made a friend, apparently. I wound up giving him a ride home; because he asked, and because I didn't think it was right to just leave him there. I guess he was planning to walk. He doesn't live that far from the college.

Remember anything from all those psychology classes, Liam?

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You are in the death zone, my friend. The death zone.

------------------
"Instructed by history and reflection, Julian was persuaded that, if the diseases of the body may sometimes be cured by salutary violence, neither steel nor fire can eradicate the erroneous opinions of the mind."

-Edward Gibbons, The Decline and Fall of The Roman Empire.

Jay the Obscure
Liker Of Jazz
Member # 19

- posted      Profile for Jay the Obscure     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
People know that I'm usually right, because I download statistics and things from the Internet

How dare you say you didn't make any hilarious observations!!

But I have to ask, when did Omega move to Washington?

------------------
The negotiations have failed. Shoot him!
~ C. Montgomery Burns

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited March 27, 2001).]

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought Scientology was the One True Religion?

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Scientology was the result of a bet between Isaac Asimov and L. Ron Hubbard when they were sitting on an authors' panel at a genre convention back in the late 50s. Asimov bet Hubbard that he couldn't create a viable religion whole-cloth (not taking precedents from any other established religion), and have people buy into it. The stakes: the loser had to buy the winner dinner. Hubbard went home and wrote "Dianetics".

Knowing this, I look at people like John Travolta, Kirstie Alley, and Tom Cruise... and I feel sad.

--Jonah

------------------
"It's obvious I'm dealing with a moron..."

--Col. Edwards, ROBOTECH

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Must be all the heavy metals in the water from the logging industry. It MUST be that...

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
But heavy metal and riverdance have nothing in common... Oooh, that was bad, my stomacha acid is overfloooooowing.... *cough*

Scientology isn't the one true religion, it's the best religion money can buy!!!

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Asimov never said anything about that, though, and with two autobiographies you'd think he could have found the space.

------------------
Not even a god can deny that I have squared the circle of a static Earth and cubed the Earth sphere by rotating it once to a dynamic Time or Life Cube.
--
Gene Ray
Read three (three!) chapters of "Dirk Tungsten in...The Disappearing Planet" Or don't. You know, whatever.

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"GodDAMN, she is SO fucking hot! I would give SO much money to have her be my sexual plaything...or vice-versa. Whatever. I'm flexible. Not as flexible as SHE is, I bet. Oh, wait. She's a Scientologist. Dammit. :::shrugs::: Oh, well. I simply won't listen as she screasm out L. Ron's name after I bang her to multiple orgasms."

Me, commenting on Catherine Bell, 1995.

------------------
"For people with resources, the right events happen. They may look like coincidences, but they arise out of necessity." --T�rk Hviid

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must admit, I didn't read that anecdote in the unauthorised biography of L. Ron, "Bare Faced Messiah." Truth is he was pretty much persona non grata in the SF community because he was such a hack.

------------------
"Kif, I have made it with a woman! Inform the crew!"

- Zapp Brannigan

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

"86% of all people are Christian. If you took away all other religions, Christianity would be the One True Religion."

Ask him for me, about how many Muslums there are. I believe I read somewhere that it was the fastest growing religion in the world, and that they would eventually out number christains in the USA. Which is bad, since there are already far to many christains.

------------------
Witty Remark

Orion Syndicate
He's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy!
Member # 25

- posted      Profile for Orion Syndicate     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's the problem that the rest of the world has with the religious cults in the USA. They all basically believe the same thing, but there's always some dickhead who decides to take Christianity, and create a new religion called Christainity, put his own spin on it and make loads of money.

I couldn't resist, sorry!

------------------
The Worlds Ten Greatest 'Fucks' #7

Watch him - he'll have some fuckers eye out! - King Harold

[This message has been edited by Orion Syndicate (edited March 27, 2001).]

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yup, Christianity for dyslexics. They worship Dog. 8)

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is NOT true that 86% of ALL people are Christians.

according to World Almanac 2001:
1.974 billion people are Christians, of some sort.
1.044 billion of THOSE are Roman Catholics
1.155 billion are Muslims
912 million are Nonreligious or Atheists
799 million are Hindus

------------------
The government that seems the most unwise, oft goodness to the people best supplies. That which is meddling, touching everything, will work but ill, and disappointment bring. - The Tao Te Ching

Lee
Member # 393

Well, we pretty much guessed that. . .

------------------

- Zapp Brannigan

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps