Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Tito flies but I stay grounded... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Tito flies but I stay grounded...
Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Soyuz launched to ISS

A Russian Soyuz TM-32 rocket was launched from the Baikonur Cosmodrome, Kazahkstan at 3:37 a.m. EDT (0737 GMT) carrying American tourist Dennis Tito, along with cosmonauts Talgat Musabayev and Yuri Baturin, on a mission to the ISS. Russian Mission Control has confirmed that the spacecraft reached orbit and all systems are functioning normally.

AND

I had scheduled two of my own launches for 6:30 AM from my launch site on Navarre Beach. (Those of you who don't know, i'm into model rocketry in a esoteric way) Thanks to, I guess inept reporting from Weather.com, I had to scrub my launches AGAIN due to high winds at the launch site. Somebody remind me again why I got back into model rocketry, please...

*SIGH!* (Deeply discouraged)

------------------
In this crazy world of lemons, baby...you're lemonade!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Didn't know that. A gay minature-rocket maker that likes sci-fi *shudder*

Sorry, joking

Good luck with the rockets - are they in any way "guided" or are you just testing for altitude and flight stability?

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

- posted      Profile for Quatre Winner         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gas: You forgot anime and Harry Potter.

But seriously. I'm testing right now for flight stability and altitude. Right now, my launchers carry a dummy payload in the payload canister. Next year or whenever the hell flight testing gets done, they'll carry real payloads.

------------------

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've always wondered what people get out of model rockets. They fly up. Then what? Does the nosecone eject? Does the rocket explode beautifully? Does it record telemetry?

Now, if someone were to fire a rocket and then land it with small thrusters � la TinTin, like in "Lunar Lander", that would be impressive.

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

Well, I dunno about others but for me it's a extension of my space activism. I have a fleet of payload carrying rockets that can launch a payload about 2500 feet into the air. Some of the payloads I fly can do a varity of experiments from air sampling to photo taking to communications stuff.

For others, it's just the thrill of building big rockets, just seeing how high and far they can go and so forth. But for me, it's a lot deeper than that.

------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
At camp one year, someone shot off an "Honest John"...

Thing went up about 50 feet, tipped over & flew off into the woods for about 2 miles.

------------------
"I'm beginning to think that there'll be NO forced mating at ALL!" --Professor Hubert T. Farnsworth

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

Apparently someone didn't put the damn thing together right.

------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like we don't all know you're practicing to build your own nuclear ICBMs... :-)

------------------
"Although, from what I understand, having travelled around the Mid-west quite a bit, apparently Jesus is coming, so I guess the choice now is we should decide whether we should spit or swallow."
-Maynard James Keenan

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Quatre's bumpersticker; "You can take my Stinger...from my dead cold hand!"

Now, photos, that sounds sweet. Being able to take your own photos in the sky is cool.
Maybe blind an unsuspecting gull or two, cook the gull, make hats out of gull, wear a full gull-suit whilst igniting the next rocket. Mmmm...
Oh, sorry, I seem to be woolgathering.

Do you upload the photos on computer or is it standard film?

------------------
Don't kill me, I'm charming!

Gaseous Anomaly
Member # 114

- posted      Profile for Gaseous Anomaly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I thought the Honest John was a battlefield tactical missile?
0_0

------------------
At that point, McDonald fired his gun three times in the air to emphasize his point. The crowd, estimated at 350,000, loudly cheered the new candidate.

"Let me make this clear: I am the law! I am your ruler! And you will have fries with that, motherf*cker!"

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It is. Estes routinely makes replicas of real missiles.

------------------
"I�ll never fall inthe arms of someone sincere
I fall just the same
And like before, it's just too hard."
---Kim Leaman, "Sincere"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TIN-TIN! God, I haven't read any of those cartoons in years ...

------------------
Star Trek Gamma Quadrant
Average Rated 8.32 out of 10 Smileys by Fabrux (with seven eps posted)
"Oh, yes, screw logic, let's go for a theory with no evidence!"
-Omega 11:48am, Jan. 19th, 2001
"I think this reason why girls don't do well on multiple choice tests goes all the way back to the Bible, all the way back to Genesis, Adam and Eve. God said, 'All right, Eve, multiple choice or multiple orgasms, what's it going to be?' We all know what was chosen" - Rush Limbaugh, Feb. 23, 1994.

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I love the cartoon...

------------------
"Of course I'm paranoid! Everyone's trying to kill me."
- Weyoun, "Treachery, Faith, and the Great River"

Quatre Winner
Member # 464

Tim: No comment.

Nimrod: Actually, my bumpersticker says "My other car is a GUNDAM!" *L*

As for photos, they're regular film which I have to take to a photolab to be developed. Once that's done, I take em' home, scan em' and then put them on line or send to friends.

------------------

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And what does your license place say? SNDROC? Seriously, do you really have that bumper sticker? *L* I love it!
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps