Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Whatcha Reading ... ? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Whatcha Reading ... ?
USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno, Hitchhiker's been pretty popular for a while. Ihaven't really noticed any "boost" per se.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I assume you guys are trying to break the current world record for subtle, subliminal sarcasm, because I just talked about Honor Harrington in my first message, old ladies.

The Douglas Adams books were just referred to as HHGTTG.

Of course, TSN is known to have slight problems with such things as "Page 2" and such (we don't need to get into that) , I shouldn't be so baffled.
I am be swede and turnip so perhaps I need to say things twice before it sinks in and you raise an eyebrow, like my prime minister did to Dubuya a couple of days ago on the top meeting.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The Skystone by Jack Whyte; Timequake by His Eminence the Right Honourable Kurt Vonnegut; and just possibly, maybe, if I have a death wish War and Peace by that Tolstoy fellow.

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

[ June 15, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Resurrection being in vogue...

I am reading too many things, currently.

The Name of The Rose, by Umberto Eco. For my medieval philosophy class. "What do you know about it?" a neighbor asked. "It has Sean Connery in it," I said.

Walking on Glass, by Iain Banks.

Metamagical Themas, by Douglas R. Hofstadter.

Some essays, by people. This last one is important, because it too is for a class, one about writing essays. The problem is, rather than just read them, we're supposed to write them. Which is what I'm not doing at this moment. Which is why I'm thread-dredging.

Um, so, anybody else writing essays? Or planning to? Or have in the recent (or, heck, distant) past?

Music to listen to while not writing essays (essays which, you suspect, may be too personal to attack, but then you fear that writing in general is too personal, and despair for awhile): Future Bible Heroes.

Masao
doesn't like you either
Member # 232

- posted      Profile for Masao     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm reading, for the first time, The Lord of the Rings. Just finished the Hobbit and am halfway through Fellowship. I've was given these books as a present about 20 years ago but I couldn't get through the Hobbit, since all I read at that time was hard SF. I liked the movie, so decided to have another go. Already, I'm surprised how much the events of Fellowship are telescoped in the movie. In the book there's, like, 20 years between Bilbo's disappearance and the start of Frodo's journey. In the movie, they seem like only a few hours apart. A good change, I think; speeds things up a lot.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just recently read Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? by Philip K. Dick. First book I've read since Dune Messiah over a year ago (whic I never finished, by the way...)

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Verdict: Prophecy bad, Mercerism surprisingly good.
Woodside Kid
Member # 699

- posted      Profile for Woodside Kid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm on one of my periodic alternate history kicks, so I just finished Harry Harrison's Stars & Stripes In Peril. Next on the list is The Years of Rice and Salt by Kim Stanley Robinson. The premise of that one is that the Black Death wiped out all of Europe, not just one-third.

--------------------
The difference between genius and idiocy? Genius has its limits.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Flare Forums......
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently reading
5 Ideas that changed the world, Barbara Ward
Blood of the fold, Terry Goodkind
32 problems in world history, Edwin Fenton
Just finished
Donovan's brain, Curt Siodmak
Andromeda Strain, Micheal Creighton
Just starting
Eagles brood, Jack Whyte
Tom you should like this series of books, I have been reading it all out of order but they stand on their own well.
I also read books on history, sciences all the time, but usually only as things I pick up and read for a while then stop and pick it up later. I guess I have a short attention span with some books but I ususlly finish novels but I am also usually reading 2 or 3 at a time. Kinda like switching channels on tv I guess.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm getting through

Capitalizing book titles correctly, volume Two

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry I didn't realize this was supposed to be a bibliography. It has been 17 years since I had to write one. I only learned about the M.L.A. a week ago.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am currently reading;

How to Write a Mi��ion and The Prometheus Deception.

I have on my shelves to read;
The Sigma Protocol, The Forever War, Gateway (read it years ago but forgot what happened), the last 3 books of the Acorna series, Mars, Moonrise, Pegasus in Space, the Foundation Trilogy set after Isaac Asimov's series, Blue Mars, the Uplift Series and 24+ other books that I can't be arsed to list. [Razz]

Come the end of univsersity I shall be spending my free hours reading, reading and reading (with a bit of writing and sailing and moving house thrown in for good measure).

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I've just read most of the New Frontier books and i'm also reading Stalin: Breaker of Nations, which is quite good.
I have also recently read Lord of the Rings as well as Redcoat by Richard Holmes and several of the Sharpe books.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New Frontier books? Yeah, read them all (up to "Being Human" - any more out?) and the Section 31 books and first two DS9 relaunch books. Also read pretty much all the Star Wars and New Jedi Order books too.

Just wish that I could read books all day for a living - parents say it doesn't pay - what do you lot think?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps