Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Bond. James Bond. (Page 3)

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   
Author Topic: Bond. James Bond.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
BTW, Brosnan was born in County Meath in Ireland (I assume the Republic, but I'm not sure), but moved to England at a young age. Which explains his lack of accent normally, but his ability to put on a fairly convincing Irish one.

I dunno if he minds being called "British". You'd have to ask him.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I didn't even KNOW Lewellyn had died until just shortly -- car accident? Jesus!

However, Cleese will probably be "Q" in the next flick. Simply because, it's "Q" branch, and the head of "Q" branch is "Q", much as the head of MI-6 is "M." If one "M" or "Q" dies, then another person becomes "M" or "Q" and takes their place. Judi Dench is "M", not "N" ... or, actually, since she's the third "M", she'd be "O".

So, Cleese will be "Q" in the next flick. I point out that Bond nicknamed Cleese "R" -- "if you're Q, is he R?" -- and that we don't know if it's an official MI-6 moniker ... although, if "Q" is for "Quartermaster", "R" could be for "Replacement" ... or for "Bumbling Moron" but then we'd call him "B" and not "R", right?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
processing.......processing.......30% complete....40%.......60%........80%.......90%......Yeah! I guess that sound right Jeff. I think.
IP: Logged
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dalton was ok , but personally i dont like his movies as much as I like the Connery and Moore movies , humor is one of those things that come along with Great Car , 2 Great Chicks and Stunts to make a bond flick.

The Living Daylights was probley the best out of the Dalton films , that chase sence in the was great and Bond and his girl in the cello case that was great. Plus Aha (That Euro band with the take on me song) did the theme , its one of my favs next to Goldeneye and Duran Duran's a Veiw to a kill.

BTW , M is a designation for the head of MI6 I think in the Bond movies, so I wouldnt be surprised if apon retirement someone got "promoted" to M , maybe Dench was a 00 Agent before and has been selected to desk duty. Who knows maybe Bond could get offered the M position.

Oh , and i did some research (Can you say to much time on my hands?) There have been 3 M's , unfortunatly I'm to lazy to type it here and i figure i might as well cut out the middle man so goto

http://www.007database.com/allies.html

Very kick ass site.

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Dr. Obvious ]

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh , upon further research I found an entire website devoted to Bond 20 Speculation

http://www.geocities.com/bluehazemovies/bond20/

and another little nugget

http://www.mi5.gov.uk

The Official Homepage of the UK's Intelligence Service , very cool site.

Even has a break down of its budget.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"M" wasn't a 00 agent -- in "GoldenEye", Bond & Tanner discuss her, and Tanner refers to her as an "accountant" ... seems to me, TPTB in the British government appointed someone from outside the agency to run it.

I don't think we'll ever see Bond being offered or accepting the "M" position. I mean, for one thing, he's way to good at his job. How many Double-Oh agents have died in all the films? 006 in "GoldenEye" (albeit by 007), a Double-Oh agent in "TWINE", a whole bunch in one of the Dalton ones, methinks ...

Oh, one other thing -- the black MI-6 dude, "Charlie", I think -- was he in any other Bond flicks besides "TND" and "TWINE"? Not the actor neccessarily, but the character. Just wondering, b/c, I think he's a pretty cool dude, and I would think HE would be the next "M".

[ June 27, 2001: Message edited by: Jeff Kardde ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As a point, Bond works for the SIS, which is MI6 (although that was aknowledged until recently. Hell, in Dr No, he worked for the non-existent MI7). MI5 is internal. Bond is not suppossed to operate within the British Isles. He does though, anyway.

That black dude was only in the last two films. Tanner's only been in a few, hasn't he? I know the current actor was in Goldeneye and TWINE, and there was a replacement character in TMD that was also in TWINE.

If you're interested, pick up The Bond Files by Andy Lane and, er, someone. I dunno how easy it'll be to find in the US, but it's a nice little unauthorized pocket book full of interestingf facts and reviews on the books, films, comic strips, and other gunk. It goes right up to TWINE.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
For the uninformed, here's a rundown of the people who work at the agency Bond works for:

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LMAFO!!!! Yep. That pretty much sums it up!

I pity the fool who don't use 1-800-collect!!!!!

IP: Logged
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In "On Her Majesty's Secret Service", after the chase between Lazenby's Aston Martin DB-S and the chic's Mercury Cougar XR-7, Lazenby steps out of the car and says "This never happened to the other guy", obviously meant to mean Sean Connery. This I believe makes it that "James Bond" is actually a namesake taken by these guys, as well as the entire history. I mean, if these guys are spies, and super-spies at that, then you'd think they'd get a whole big back-history to their alias, so this would include Bond's wife and his parents and whatnot.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which of course raises the question of what happened to the former Bonds. Perhaps they're NOT really that good, and we just see the movies where OTHER agents die.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Or perhaps it's all a father-son business

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Anyone ever read "Night Probe!" by Clive Cussler? there's mention of an ex-MI6 agent by the name of Brian Shaw...he becomes an integral part of the plot. There's also the inference that he is indeed James Bond.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
JeffK: 009 in the beginning of Octopussy.
In "The living daylights" about three agents were killed in the beginning, I think. They weren't necessarily Double-O agents, maybe just field agents backing up the super spies.

And after Dalton had killed the man that killed his pals, he parachuted down on a boat with a rich girl and boned her. That's a nice change of pace, that is.
Talk about not being emotionally involved with one's work. Maybe it's like therapy for him.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It was two 00 agents killed at the beginning of TLD. Only three agents participated in that exercise, 007 being the third. I think Bond also recovers something from a 00 agent's body at the beginning of "View to a Kill." What is it about despatching 00 agents at the start of Bond films?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 6 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps