Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why me? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why me?
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While at the mall today, I was looking through the DVD section at Best Buy since I had money to squander. Making my way immediatly to the Sci-Fi section, I layed eyes on something peculiar.

For anyone who has every seen a DVD of a Kubrick film, they come with a white cover with an image from the movie in the middle, and a blue bar on top that says "STANLEY KUBRICK COLLECTION". Well, there before me was the usual 2001: A Space Odyssey DVD that I had seen so much and even owned.

But...wait a second...what the hell???

The image on the cover is different. Instead of Bowman's face in his spacesuit, it's the classic image of the Pan Am Spaceplane docking at the Space Station.

Why is this on there???

Now, picking up the DVD, I see at the top, in a new bar under the original one, it says "DIGITALLY REMASTERED" or something along those lines.

Wha...???

Looking at the back, I find the box exactly the same as the one I have at home. But in the bonus material section, it says something along the lines of "Digitally remastered sountrack and images" or something like that.

You're kidding me!

Well, the problem here is, I just bought the original edition of the DVD not even 6 months ago. I've barely watched it 2 times all the way through. And now this 'new and improved' version comes out! UGH!

Buy it or not? Buy it or not?

I decided not to buy it for now, and if I really hear it's good, I'll buy it later.

This kind of crap happens to me a lot. Same with the Blade Runner Director's Cut DVD. Not only is the DVD extremely cheap, but I also hear that a special edition is coming out soon.

Why I even bother....

[ June 30, 2001: Message edited by: The359 ]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A Special Edition ON the Director's Cut? Well that sounds strange... It's still the same movie, how boring.

You think they'll do an SE or DC on "The Matrix" within a near future or should I just pick it up now?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Milk tha cows bro, milk tha cows...

It's the same with the Star Wars trilogy. First comes the original version, then a digitally remastered one, and finally a special edition (which happens to be digitally remastered as well, but in a different - more thorough - way). In the near future, we may see a DVD collectors item - that'd make it the digitally
re-remastered special collectors edition. Or such.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Be happy with what you have, since the businesses love doing plays like this.... People get stuck in the need for the newest, the biggest, and the such.....

Although it does make people rich somewhere....

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've seen a few complaints about the quality of the new disc.
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, the thing with the Blade Runner DVD is that, no matter what, you can only buy the Director's Cut. Same with VHS. The Original version of Blade Runner hasn't been sold for years (because so many people hated it).

As for the DVD, it's so extremely cheap and offers no extras whatsoever.

The menus have nothing to do with Blade Runner except for a small logo in the corner. The rest of the menu is a backround of giant WB Logos and simple buttons.

The Closed Captioning is automatically turned on whenever you put the disc in (something I always forget until 5 minutes into the movie when the first word is actually said).

The Select Scene area doesn't list every scene, it skips around (it only lets you select 3, 5, 9, 11...). So if you want a scene that isn't listed there, you have to skip around.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

OK, I checked Amazon.com and the guy who reviewed it did indeed say the picture quality was crappier then the first, and the only good thing was that it was anamorphic widescreen, something I can do without.

For anyone planning on buying 2001 on DVD, here's the two covers:

Original
Remastered

If I were you, get the original.

--------------------

Teelie
Member # 280

- posted      Profile for Teelie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They did that with Dogma and did it piss people off. I was lucky not to get it and I still haven't; I'm waiting for the ultra special edition of it.

--------------------
It takes 42 muscles in your face to frown. It only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and smack someone upside the head.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why I hate DVDs.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
TLE, the Special Edition of Dogma came out last Tuesday.

And I'm sure they hate you too, Vogon.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but they have no power to destroy me! *is immediately decapitated by a Dude, Where's My Car? Special Edition Director's Cut Non-Anamorphic Widescreen Region 2 release*

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, but you want to get that one because in the extras, Brent Spiner says some stuff about Trek X.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
Member # 393

Well, I'm sure that alone makes it worth the �18.99 (about $35) you have to fork out for it.

--------------------

BlueElectron
Member # 281

- posted      Profile for BlueElectron     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Man, Lucus is a jackass for not having the DVD for the first three Star Wars.

He's just doing this so he can squeeze people for mo on who knows how many version of "remastered" or "special edition" tapes.

Then he squeeze some more when "must own collection" of DVD comes out.

Man, what a fucking jackass.

[ July 02, 2001: Message edited by: BlueElectron ]

--------------------
"George Washington said, 'I cannot tell a lie.'
Richard Nixon said, 'I cannot tell the truth.'
Bill Clinton said, 'I cannot tell the difference.'"

-- comedian TOM SMOTHERS, from his latest stage act with brother DICK SMOTHERS.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, you tell him.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps