Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why does my computer hate me? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Why does my computer hate me?
Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I had a similar problem with my laptop earlier this year. For some reason, ScanDisk refused to run when operating in Windows, and Defrag would crash Windows after spending two hours checking about 5%. It kept syaing that the contents of the hard drive had changed, so it had to restart defragging. It was a nuisance that I was never able to correct. In the end, I archived all of my files, stored them on my friend's computer, and I reformatted the damn computer. Doing a clean-sweep of the drive and reinstalling Windows did the trick.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"I never allow myself to have less than 60% free space."

Isn't that a bit like buying a house, and only using two rooms?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's a far simpler explanation, Omega. Your computer voted for Gore.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows Scandisk can be very useful, especially for correcting minor physical damage to sectors on your HD. But the problem with getting it to run at all can be insurmountable.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
[QB]..Meanwhile on my computer I make it a point to defrag once a week. [QB]

one a month should work, hobbes. too often and you physically wear out your drive faster.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
"I never allow myself to have less than 60% free space."

Isn't that a bit like buying a house, and only using two rooms?

Yes, but you get to brag about having the other rooms, and you'll always have the extra space incase guests drop in

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!
Me- Jen.... Where'd you go.... I love you... please come back.... please....

MC Infinity
Member # 531

- posted      Profile for MC Infinity     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windoze 98 is a repulsive, memory-hogging piece of shit!! Image

[Image transformed into link because it was huge and clunky.]

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Jen- You again??!?! Listen kid, I'm not interested in you. Stop bothering me, I'm a lot older than you and I have a boyfriend. How did you find my ICQ number anyways?
Me- Oh, so just cuz you're a movie star now, and you're new album made millions, you think you're too good for me?
Jen- Yes!!! Get it thorough your head! I am a person, I am not Jennifer Lopez the hottest woman on earth that everyone wants to sleep with, I'm a person, leave me alone!!!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee, I just cannot imagine why your resources would be so low.
MC Infinity
Member # 531

That was just a game I was downloading at the time, usually my desktop doesn't contain nearly as many icons. Infact, there are usually quite few of them, and I only run my firewall, msn and icq on a normal day. at the time i was running download accelerator, as well as winamp, but neither take up a lot of memory, it's the damn windows garbage with it's memory leakage, it's never happened to me on 2000

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Daniel
Member # 453

- posted      Profile for Daniel     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't you people know? People these days buy homes with a formal living, dining, an eating, dinette, parlor, drawing room, library, den, sitting room, loft, office, media room, sunroom, and use only the family room tucked in the very back of the house, and the kitchen table to eat off of. 99.76% of a house remains unused.

P.S. I AM being sarcastic.

[ July 09, 2001: Message edited by: Daniel ]

--------------------
"A celibate clergy is an especially good idea because it tends to suppress any hereditary propensity toward fanaticism."

-Eleanor Arroway, "Contact" by Carl Sagan

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*looks at Infinities playlist* Dear God. I don't know what to say about that selection. The Blondie song along would require at least a paragraph.

I should also point out that people who say "Windoze" are hilarious. Really.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

MC Infinity
Member # 531

I run a business, it was a request, I didn't delete it, what are you gonna do, sue me? More than half my songs are requests from customers that I forgot to delete because someone else might want it too and I don't feel like downloading it again. And I don't care how funny you find it, I will say Windoze as much as I fucking feel like, because I think you're an asshole and I'm thru arguing with you.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A business? Of what, selling pirated music? That's, um... highly illegal, not to mention immoral...
MC Infinity
Member # 531

quote:
Originally posted by TSN:
A business? Of what, selling pirated music? That's, um... highly illegal, not to mention immoral...

Surely you jest....
I beleive that it is right for people to enjoy music freely without shelling out massive bucks to recording companies of which the artist receives a half a procent or similar.
I cannot beleive I have met a person that finds the free exchange of information immoral, why should people have to listen to shit-quality radio that blares out advertisements most of the time. When there is a viable and cost-effective alternative to trading music and offering it to others that are not as fortunate to be blessed with a high-speed connection, I will stop doing it, until then, you can take your morals to someone else, because I feel quite well with mine.
And I also beleive that there is no suitable use for a CD burner if you're not gonna make some money off of it.

--------------------
Me- Hi Jen! What's up!
Me- Fine! Be that way!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, gee, heaven forbid you would back up your HD on CDs...

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps