Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » "Why Does My Computer Hate Me?" The Revenge (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: "Why Does My Computer Hate Me?" The Revenge
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have a PIII-450 with 256 mb RAM. There is no game I can't play and no operation I get lag in, except when watching really big 3d-models.

I'm thinking of upgrading next year, probably to a 1GHz+, but the way things are going I might not even feel the difference.
Man, when you switched computer five years ago orgasm ensued. And when the 3d cards came, DAMN!
Now it's like going from (*sigh* I have to say it) Warp 9.995 to 9.998. Sadly, so thinks the market as well. The new Pentium and AMD processor families got a lukewarm reception.
And I understand them. The performance increase is smaller than ever but the prices are practically the same.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's because hardware is becoming exponentially more powerful - it will be some time before the (next generation of) software can fully exploit it.

Still, you do really need every available Mhz and MB you can squeeze out of your system if you want to run heavy-duty applications. Such programs push a PC to its limits.

BTW: you will notice it when you go from a measly 450 Mhz to a whopping 1+ Ghz, trust me

[ July 27, 2001: Message edited by: The_Evil_Lord ]

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got an HP-Pavilion 8655c.

And a printer.

That's all I know about it. Oh, I've got a 17" monitor. Yay.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And by the way, anyone got any opiniojs on Dell laptops? And no, Frank, your statement that "they're not Macs therefore they're no good" doesn't count. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aah, the flagship in the laptop park of my company. The Latitude and Inspiron models have more customers than a 20$...um... they're considered extraspecialgood.
The newest Inspirons look sweet, what with the colours and finish. And they stand their own, performancewise.

In my opinioj, of course.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i could say something about that horrible typo, but its just too easy.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And Nimrod already beat you to it.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are the Dell laptops the ones equipped with that Geforce designed for laptops?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, that didn't work. My computer just rebooted for no reason.

So now what? I remove my APM drivers from the Device Manager? Any other suggestions?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure it's not the heat thing?

It could be as simple as a loose wire somewhere. Don't you feel pleased to know that?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Nim
Member # 205

PsyLiason: Yes, and Toshiba laptops too. Nvidia has really gone fatcat.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

True. Unlike 3dfx though, they still make good chipsets. (Okay, I know 3dfx don't make anything anymore, I was referring to the rather large drop in quality from the must-have Voodoo 2 to the less impressive Voodoo 3).

Plus, they still have some competition from, er, that company whose name I can't recall at the moment. And the Kryo II chipset compares quite well with the Geforce 2 MX.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dell Laptops?

They're good because they're not Macs.

Does that count, Lee?

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The only real competition to Nvidia would be ATI....and even thats not exactly fair, as ATI typically targets the low end while Nvidia targets the high end gaming section. (Hence their best card costs around $400 american)

Oh...as for Dell laptops, I'm not sure...they make good desktops but for sure, avoid Compaqs like the plague...(uh Compaq laptops, sorry Omega)

Omega: You know...you've never said anything about which particular version of Windows you're using... W98/98SE/ME/2000 or whatever. Could it simply be a corrupted system file...or even a corrupt IE file?

[ July 28, 2001: Message edited by: Mucus ]

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Win '98. Honestly, I have no clue what could be causing a computer to REBOOT. Shutting down could be overheating, but not rebooting.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps