Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The most boring thread ever (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The most boring thread ever
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, boys and girl, there are two new Netscape versions now, 6.1 for the new browser and 4.78 for the "old" communicator style.
It's five megabacons bigger than the previous 4.77 (17mb/22mb) so they must've done something to it.
Of course, that's the complete version, the basic version is much smaller.

I only switch to IE if reach a site which has been carefully "optimized" to load 50% faster with it, like FilePlanet, GameSpy, anything from Microsoft...

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As for meine resolutions, there's work and there's home. 1024x768 on a 17" at work, 1280x1024 on a 20" at home.
If I work with piccies I increase to 1600x1200 to get more space around the edges.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You're crazy Nimrod. I will kill you. Burning Mandala!

And, er, guns!

Yes. That'll show you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ho-hum..

Windows 98 SE
1024x768
IE 5

(a warning: I recently upgraded to IE 5.5. Umm, big mistake. Not at all stable IMHO. As for IE 6, avoid at all costs)

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Windows 2000 Advanced Server
1600x1200 x32Bit
Internet Explorer 5.5

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"(a warning: I recently upgraded to IE 5.5. Umm, big mistake. Not at all stable IMHO. As for IE 6, avoid at all costs)."

Since there hasn't been a decent opportunity for me to defend Omega this week, I'll have to go for Microsoft. I've had no trouble with IE 5.5 at all. And isn't IE 6 still in the beta stage? Complaining that it's not stable is a bit like going on an unfinished roller coaster and complaining that the track ends abruptly.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This seems like a good reason to be cautious about upgrading IE.
Wes
Over 20 years here? Holy cow.
Member # 212

- posted      Profile for Wes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the heads up, although CNets tests revealed that IE6 Beta is more stable then the latest full release Netscape, I wont be upgrading until I can use my quicktime.

I like most of microsofts products and have no problem with thier operating system. Flame on.

Nim
Member # 205

*BenderBelch* BRAAAAAAUGH!!!!
MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Home: Win98 second edition with IE5.5 1024x768
Work: Win ME with either IE 5.5 or Netscape 6.0 1024x768

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This IS the most boring thread ever.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've never had a problem with 5.5 either, but I haven't tried video with it.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

Nim
Member # 205

I have been given some freedom in testing new software stuff for my company this week, so I got a P3-700MHz and installed the latest Windows XP Build (2505) we got from Microsoft (it had IE 6.01 bundled) and installed Netscape 6.1, Workoffice, Office XP (in fact, all the experimental shit I could lay my hands on went in there!).

I even threw in the new shaky WinZip 8.1 Beta. Shoot the works!! ("A hundred beads!" Spot that ref if you can...)

At some points, Netscape 6 actually loaded the page faster than IE6, who stood still and pondered for a while if it really wanted to show it to me. The weird thing was that it happened on supposedly IE-"optimized" sites, like FilePlanet! I never thought of going here, maybe I'll do it on Monday and see if there's any differences.

But both browsers encountered lockups about three-four times a week, depending on the amount of activity. Never at random, but often out of the blue.
More energic surfing, with fast clicking and simultaneous heavy downloading, is often the cause of it.

Also, I tried the new 3D Exploration 1.81, but the stupid thing wasn't bundled with a good demo 3d object, so I downloaded an Omega Class Cruiser from Bab5 Modeler's Guild. Mmm, watch that baby spin...

The big tam�le, of course, was WinXP. It never froze, gave a blue screen, committed a forbidden action (except when the Web Browser kitties fooled around) or even irritated me.

Some new changes took time to learn or compensate for, but you get used to it fast. No, the thing I'm curious about is to try XP on a P4 processor with a Geforce-III 3D card and play some heavy new game, to see if it's all the hot shit them corporate nerds say it is, when combined.

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Nimrod ]

[ August 24, 2001: Message edited by: Nimrod ]

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Win2000 Pro is the same way, eh Wes?

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps