Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Peter Jennings Raises a Good Point... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Peter Jennings Raises a Good Point...
Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This may be a bit premature but in an interview with Sen. Clinton Peter Jennings asked her what her opinion was over what to do with the land on which the WTC stood.

He stated that many people think they should rebuild the WTC exactly as it was. As a sign that New York will not live in fear and that any change is temporary.

Senator Clinton shyed away from the question , understandable in my view. She spoke that the question will of course be faced but now the task at WTC is digging and the rescue effort.

Now this got me to thinking , perhaps building the WTC as it was isnt a good idea , could you imagine facing the same building you saw collapse before your eyes?

I was thinking something of a Memorial Park would be more fitting , a memorial to those who lost they're lives on 9/11/01 , especially these heroic fire fighters , soldiers , police officers and volunteer workers who have toiled over a mound of rubble with such fervor in hopes of finding just one more person alive , just one more father , son , sister , brother , mother or daughter.

--------------------
My Mother never found the irony in calling me a son of a bitch

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I agree with OP, The land should be made a memorial. To rebuild the towers would just give the terrorists a chance to take another wack at them. the US and the world should have more air marshals. and undercover guards on thier aircraft. or seal the cockpit door in case of an emergency.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm for a Memorial myself. Tom's inner architect was thinking a new twin towers, exactly the same dimensions as the old, but built as hollow obelisks with clear glass on all four sides and the names of the dead etched into them. If anyone's seen the Boston Holocaust Memorial you'll know what I'm getting at. The surrounding grounds would be made into a park. They'd complement the city's skyline the same way as the old did, but with a new memorial twist.

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Just like Oklahoma City, WTC should be made into a national monument. Some people would probably find it morbid to be working in the same place where some unfortunate person was sipping coffee before seeing the plane slamming into his office.

These people should be honoured, not forgotten. Personally, once this park is completed, I would want to visit at least once to pay homage to those who died for no logical reason.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hate to play devil's advocate but I don't think a memorial will be built there. The real estate in the financial district of Manhattan is too valuable to be wasted (sic) on a memorial.

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While it might be nice, it won't happen. You simply don't turn a massive chunk of the most expensive real-estate on the planet into a park. It just won't happen

Why can't we do both? I say we build THREE buildings, like the old two, but taller. May as well make 'em beat out those two in Malysia, while we're at it. Then put the memorial in the courtyard among them.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like somebody's idea here about rebuilding the two towers w/ the same dimensions and a third taller one. Place the third one so that facing from the Atlantic, it looks like a middle finger. I really do think it should be done like that, though it shouldn't be obsenely obvious or even widespread knowledge. If it was a thing implemented by the architects, it would be great.

Also, I think that the new buildings should be given reddish and bluish tints to them somehow to complement the white/grey of the originals. Again, very subtle, but if done correctly, would be a wonderful touch.

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think that this is the end of 100- or even 90+ story buildings here in the US. They are tempting targets to hit with an airplane. It's possible that the tallest buildings now will remain the tallest buildings.

--------------------
Meh

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

- posted      Profile for Obese Penguin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux , I too faced up to that fact. But after listening to the CEO of a Finance Company Based in the # 1 Tower speak about his company , I think , or rather I hope greed will take a backseat to patroitism and the obligation we have to honor our dead.

--------------------

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There's greed ... and then there's realism.

New York City has just suffered, among other things, a loss of perhaps millions of square footage of office space.

Office space = businesses = money to city = at least a degree of prosperity.

When (I hope) the WTC is rebuilt, you can be sure there will be sizeable memorial to the dead, and what happened on September the 11th, 2001. But the best memorial is to rebuild.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Obese Penguin
Doomsayer
Member # 271

I'd have to agree with you Jeff , But I sure hope they dont make it look the same , or call it the World Trade Center. Personally I wouldnt feel right calling it that.

My hopes are that perhaps they build two new buildings slightly large but not so large as the WTC , I'm hoping that NYC set a limit to building size so that no building will ever pass the World Trade Center , atleast in NYC. And maybe between these two buildings , a memorial for those poor souls , silenced by terror.

--------------------

KXZ
Member # 119

- posted      Profile for KXZ     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
To rebuild the towers would just give the terrorists a chance to take another wack at them.

Rebuilding them would be a way of saying that whatever terrorists do, the people of the US will live the way they want and won't have their lives dictated by animals. How many other places could have been hit the same way? If the white house was taken out would you not want it rebuild? Or Congress? If it is rebuilt they could have some sort of memorial inside the complex with the names of all the victims.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The real estate in the financial district of Manhattan is too valuable to be wasted (sic) on a memorial."

"You simply don't turn a massive chunk of the most expensive real-estate on the planet into a park."

Gee, of course not. What are a few thousand people's lives when we could have money?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, nothing, I'm afraid. It's very expensive ground.

[ September 13, 2001: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Office space = businesses = money to city = at least a degree of prosperity.

I was watching WPIX last night, a New York station, and they were saying that there is a lot of office space in NY right now, after so many .com's went under, and some other businesses, and that some companies are already recovering data that had been stored off site, and are getting up and running again.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps