Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I hereby declaraed G. Lucas to be a DUMBASS! (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I hereby declaraed G. Lucas to be a DUMBASS!
Fedaykin Supastar
Member # 704

- posted      Profile for Fedaykin Supastar         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh well my 2 cents:

I enjoyed the Trilogy a whole deal, and i saw the Phantom Menace coz it was like Star Wars and we waietd forever, but for me it was a real letdown. Especially the character of Anakin, and the explanation of why some people ar emore force attuned than others (smack me if this actually never happened and i'm just babbling). Although being a motor racing fan i did enjoy the podracing scene.
Hopefully Episode II : The attack of the clones (is this seriously the title? i know i've seen it on the trailer et al.) but that sounds really corny. Although i don't want to fully set in stone my feelings for it b4 i see the film.
Also to note (now that i think of it), Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi sound pretty corny as well.....(i'm probly going to be pelted by fruit now, heh)

--------------------
"Tom is Canadian. He thereby uses advanced humour tecniques, such as 'irony', 'sarcasm', and werid shit'. If you are not qualified in any of these, it will be risky for you to attempt to decipher what he means. Just smile and carry on."
- PsyLiam; 16th June

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It's ALL corny! "The Force", "lightsabre", "Death Star"! We're just desensitized to it.

I've heard that Ep.2 will be far darker than Ep.1. Perhaps Ep.1 HAD to be lighter, simply due to its nature. I mean, a dark movie that's main purpose in the series is to introduce a nine-year-old? That, and you couldn't make things TOO horrible, because the next movie couldn't take place for another ten years. I really don't see much other direction Lucas could have gone with it.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Someone at Ain't-It-Cool-News apparently saw a rough screening of the film. And although I'll leave out a lot of the spoiler-filled report (and not mention my own problems with AICN and Harry Knowles), the reviewer said (to paraphrase) "When you see Episode II, you'll forgive Lucas for Episode I, because you realize Lucas had to get it out of the way to introduce the characters and Episode II just kicks ass."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's not much of an argument. If the sole purpose of The Phantom Menace was to introduce characters he should have taken an ad out in the Times instead and saved us the trouble.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No one chained you and dragged you to the film, Simon. And George L. didn't say that, so no one is speaking for his intent.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like cheesy titles. I wrote a little BASIC number a few years ago that generates random cheesy sci-fi titles based on names of 50s movies and Trek episodes, with your own proper nouns. Its grand.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, my best friend bought my ticket.

And I wasn't aware that we were required to magically assess the quality of a film before seeing it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

You mean you can't? I thought Simon "I Am King of Why Mass Appeal Sucks" Sizer knew all.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

Jeff, chill out or be chilled out.
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

To quote Westley from 'The Princess Bride', "As (ow!) you (ow!) wiiiiiish (ow!)..."

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Before I open my popcorn and watch the catfight, I'll just address a couple of things:

"It's ALL corny! "The Force", "lightsabre", "Death Star"! We're just desensitized to it."

Yes and no. By the time Empire came out, no-one thought it was a cheesy title. Why? Because everyone knew what the Empire was. And now it was striking back. Exciting, no? Same thing with Jedi. Ooh, a Jedi is returning. Cool.

The Phantom Menace, as a title, has matured well. I wasn't too keen on it at first, due to it's vague nature. Now it seems quite cool.

The problem with "Attack of the Clones" is the fact that "attack" is already a pretty corny word. "Attack of the Empire" would have been shit. But "striking back" is not a commonly used phrase, and so was nice. And the other problem is with the word "clones", as "clone" is a really hokey bad sci-fi term. Mixed together with "attack", and you've got a title that simply feels childish, rather than youthful or innocent.

Besides, "Star Destroyer" sounds cool. I thought it sounded cool when I first heard it. "Lightsabre" too. "Lasersword" would sound naff. And a lot of the names in Star Wars are naff. But the ones you listed sound fine, in the context of the film series. "Attack of the Clones" sounds crap even within Star Wars less than stellar naming world.

Oh, and Simon. "Jeff, chill out or be chilled out." would sound cool if you were the Fonze. As it is, you're just going to get stares. For reasons other than the obvious (which hasn't been mentioned in a while, I notice. That should be corrected).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*snaps his fingers, and looks around for the deluge of women*

Dammit. Why does that never work?

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh Liam, when have I ever been suttle? If I was, it must have been back in 1999 when I first registered in the boards. But I've learned that being suttle doesn't get you laid, only gets you friends.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Then you have your priorities backwards.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Aye. No matter which side of the fence you may be on, your friends are all that matter in life. If romance whacks you over the head? Fine. But don't worry and fret over it. It just builds up stress, and you have enough of that already.

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps