Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » "Swordfish" ($$$) & 9/11 (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: "Swordfish" ($$$) & 9/11
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
In the light of recent events, I was wondering what everyone thought of the summer movie 'Swordfish' starring John Travolta and Hugh Jackman.

In the movie, Travolta's character robs the CIA of 9.5 billion bucks -- in the process, he takes U.S. citizens hostage, blows up a good number of them (and cops to boot), and commits other acts of mayhem. His goal is to wage his own personal war against terrorism that the government is apparently hampered to do.

Do the goals justify the means? The opening sequence of the movie features a hostage being dragged away from Travolta's "camp" by two cops -- the hostage, a young woman, is strapped down with C-4 and steel ball bearings. Travolta remote detonates her, and a "Matrix"-type pan reveals police cars and cops being shredded like lettuce. Quite shocking.

Thoughts ... ?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

USS Vanguard
i hate clowns
Member # 130

- posted      Profile for USS Vanguard     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
it had a naked halle berry. good enough for me.

--------------------
"Tragedy is when I cut my finger,
Comedy is when you walk into an open sewer and die."-Mel Brooks

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds disturbing, but a naked Halle Berry could easily cancel that scene out. I was thinking of renting swordfish at some point. hmmmmm. With regards to 9/11; It reminded me of the pilot episode of the now cancelled series, The Lone Gunmen.

The pilot's plot involved a conspiracy from a rouge faction of the government to fly an aircraft straight into, of all things, the WTC towers in order to give the defense budget a boost. The rouge faction thought that if such a thing were to occur, every nut case on the planet, such as Bin Laden, would be trying to claim responsibility. This would, in turn, enrage the American people and they would demand retaliatory strikes. Afterwards the defense budget would be nice and solvent.

[ November 15, 2001: Message edited by: MIB ]

IP: Logged
Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's a distrubing plot ... I bet whoever wrote that script is really glad the series got cancelled.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why? It doesn't stop it from being reshown in reruns? And Chris really needs more work. He's flogged his horse to death, then raped it, chopped it up, and had it for dinner with a side of roast potatoes and yorkshire pudding.

Mmm...yorkshire pudding.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Millennium, Harsh Realm, Lone Gunmen ... all cancelled. Don't know why Fox hated those and kept X-Files. I use to love X-Files, but lately not as much. They've screwed with the storyline so much is doesn't make any sense.

But now I want to see the pilot of Lone Gunmen agin.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Those shows were cancelled because the Fox network want quick hits and don't feel like building up an audience like what they did for the X-Files. Go figure... I rented Swordfish this weekend and liked it...except that explosion stuff and that scene with Halle Berry tanning herself nude. Why couldn't it be Hugh Jackman?

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"They've screwed with the storyline so much is doesn't make any sense."

They did that back in season 3. The only difference is that back then we thought that they'd explain it all one day, and it would make perfect sense. Ha!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That's what that's from! That flying into a skyscraper in New York thing was from "The Lone Gunmen" Pilot. That's been bugging me for over a month!

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

MIB
Ex-Member

ABC, CBS. NBC, and FOX have all been very good at cancelling decent sci-fi shows within a few episodes. I only remember 1 sci-fi show that actually managed to last for about 2 or 3 seasons on one of those networks. That show was Sliders. Other decent sci-fi shows that were cancelled usually after about a dozen episodes or so were The Visitor, Dark Skies, and my personnal favorite, Space: Above and Beyond.

None of them were bad shows by any means. All of them were picked up by the sci-fi channel, but unfortunatly the sci-fi channel is good at picking up shows only to not do anything with them. Sliders and B5 are the only shows I can think of that the Sci-fi channel picked up and actually continued. And no, those sci-fi channel original series that last for MAYBE 3 episodes don't count.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"The Lone Gunmen" wasn't cancelled. It just had its cookies compromised.

Michael: I think the reason for that is that women don't usually watch movies to see a guy naked. And gay men are too small of an audience. So they have pander to straight guys, the only large group of people who will watch a movie just because it has tits in it.

MIB
Ex-Member

It just had its cookies compromised? That made no sense to me whatsoever.

PLEASE NOTE: This time I did use the correct version of the word, 'sense.' I just wanted to show Jeff that I don't make such a mistake all the time.

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Ahem, FarScape has survived past 3 seasons on Sci-Fi....they just signed on to do Season 4 and 5.

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

Swordfish and 9/11 please ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB: If you had watched the pilot of "The Lone Gunmen" (and remembered a particular scene), it would have made sense.
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps