Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I'm back after 1 1/2 days of being extremely ill. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: I'm back after 1 1/2 days of being extremely ill.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No, but if you weren't the lazy country on Earth, you could have probably figured it out. We managed to guess that Americans call trousers "pants" without a guide book. Besides, we haven't demanded. Shik tried to correct someone over daring to use a non-American word. And he's used "soulbond" in several posts, so he can hardly talk.

"Sorry. We "cannae" all be aware of every word in every dialect of the language."

Now, to be fair, "cannae" is quite a small regional word. "Whinge" is used in the entirety of the UK, Australia, and Canada. There's a teeny difference there.

Southeners also say "whinge" more than "whine", so the Oxford English Dictionary is wrong. Burn it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I was under the impression "cannae" was just the phonetic spelling for how "cannot" sounds with a Scottish burr. And thus, not a different word.

(In much the same way that I pronounce 'color' as 'keller' ... my pronunciation of the word has nothing to do with whether or not its a different word then anyone who pronounces it 'color'.)

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You pronounce "color" as "keller!?" I suddenly have the most curious feeling to have a telephone conversation with you to hear what other words y'all North'ners are butcherin'.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I have what I have been told is a 'southern' accent (ickity-ick) by my friends from NY and Boston and there-a-bouts.

I'm not exactly thrilled by it. Grrr.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, if the Northerners say you sound Southern, and the Southerners say you sound Northern, and you live in Baltimore, you probably have a "Mid-Atlantic" accent (whatever that is; I've just heard the term before). Of course, if you pronounce "color" like "keller", maybe your accent is just something screwed-up...

And figuring out what "pants" means isn't hard. Even in England, pants are still something you wear in the same location. But "whinge"... Sounds like some sort of piece of machinery. "Pull that lever and crank the whinge", or something...

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
MIB - how do you change your name like that?

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
well first you have to be a big idiot... then, change your name to annoy everyone

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh I see, it's done like that is it? I think that I'll skip it HEHE!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps