Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Why does my scanner hate me? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Why does my scanner hate me?
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, Visioneer 4800. USB connection, absurdly complex installation proceedure. Plug-'n-pray. Anyway, after a few tries, I finally got the installation proceedure correct, and got Windows NOT to install its own drivers. However, I can't get the dumb thing to recognize the scanner! It lights up, so it's getting power. The computer can tell what the thing is, so its connection's fine. But the software tells me that the scanner isn't found! Help!

My current two theories are that their software's screwed up, or my scanner's defective. Any others?

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is why everyone should have a Macintosh.

Of course, mine is boxed up somewhere, but hey ... if you want plug & play, go to the source.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What operating system are you using. I know that we had problems getting the proper drivers for win ME, and Win XP won't support a lot of older equipment.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Omega
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'98.

And I have a Mac. It just is too old for use with this scanner. 6500-series.

--------------------

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When will you understand that your computer equipment is getting you back for voting Bush in the last election?

Okay, that joke is getting old, I'll stop.

First of all, you are going to have to locate the driver for the Scanner on the CD. I have no idea where these guys keep their drivers. Usually it is a file with an *.inf extension.

Once you have located your file and you are sure that it is for Windows 98, right click on "My Computer", Properties, and Device Manager. Look under "Scanning Devices" (or anything of that sort) and double click on the scanner that is "attached" to your computer.

Click on the driver tag and click Update Driver. You want to "select a location" where you want to look for a driver. Now make sure that you input the directory where this driver may be, and then hope for the rest.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Omega
Member # 91

Tried that. Now it just freezes instead of giving me an error message. I also tried manually replacing the USBSCAN.sys file in the SYSTEM folder with the one on the CD. Also no luck.

--------------------

MIB
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Macs suck Jeff. Admit it!!!! Half the cool computer games out there aren't even available for Mac.
IP: Logged
Omega
Member # 91

That says nothing about the quality of Macintosh. Only about the irrational preferences of third-party software designers. Macintosh IN ITSELF is superior to Windows/compatables in almost every way. It's just that Windows has far more software available to it.

--------------------

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Give her a cookie. Rub her belly. Be nice to her.

Anthropomorphism isn't as absurd as you so-called "rational thinkers" believe.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Caninomorphism?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Omega
Member # 91

This is Shik, Tom. That may well be how he treats humans who act up.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, wow! There are other Mac users here?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I like Macs (like many in the public school system i was brought up on them).. but at home i have a PC and i find it better for the internet, writing my own code, running games, etc.

I still use Macs, but only when i am doing professional level graphics for school or a job. And they are awesome for it..

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Minutiae Man. We're everywhere...

and our OS is better...

*ducks*

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Most of the girls I know like being given cookies, having their bellies rubbed, & having someone be nice to them. It works with more than you might think.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps