Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » My first car. (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: My first car.
The Talented Mr. Gurgeh
Member # 318

- posted      Profile for The Talented Mr. Gurgeh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I went to see a car yesterday near the Hague (I'm living in Leiden, Holland, at the moment). It's a modest car, a 1989 Peugeot 205. 3000 guilders, about 1300 dollars maybe, I could probably have gotten a '90 or '91 for the same money, but it was in good condition, I get alloy wheels plus the original wheels, and well, I liked the car. I'm taking a half day off work to pick it up. Now I just have to find my driving license so I can change the ownership etc

--------------------
"Out of doubt, out of dark to the day's rising
I came singing in the sun, sword unsheathing.
To hope's end I rode and to heart's breaking:
Now for wrath, now for ruin and a red nightfall!"

The Battle of the Pelennor Fields.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, because a car without two sets of wheels is a complete waste of money and time.

Shut up, Daryus.

Oh, and hey, congrats

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Malnurtured Snay ]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey I've been through Leiden on my way to Worden from Schipol airport. I have spent a lot of time in Eindhoven on training courses. I work for Philips Medical Systems.
Good luck with the first car.
Paul

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Excellent! I used to have a '89 205, lovely little car. It had a pull-out choke which was needed to start the engine, which was a little odd, but it soon became habit.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Congrats on the car! Sounds like she'll be a fine friend, indeed.

My first car was a '90 Cavalier sedan. Every two years I was guaranteed to have to drop around $1500 to fix a serious condition on her. If I hadn't have been so attached to her, I probably would have offed her a long time ago instead of wasting so much money.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first car was a helluva deal and served me well. I wish you best of luck with it

CAR STATUS REPORT:
quote:
CaptainMike's First Car

Name: Captain's Yacht
Class: 1989 Buick Skyhawk
Registry: (NCC) XA-271
Maximum Speed: warp factor 10.5
Initial Cost: 700 credits
Cost of repairs per year: 200 credits
Time in Federation service: 3 years (1997-2000)
Disposition: Broken up to be sold as scrap, Qualor II Texaco station

Primary Mission Profile: Transportation to school & work
Secondary Mission Profile: Alcohol storage and transportation unit, Taxi service (300% markup on gas & alcohol prices)
Tertiary Mission Profile: Sleeping unit

quote:
CaptainMike's Second Car

Name: Mystery Ship (i.e. Ride, Captain, Ride)
Class: 1994 Ford Probe
Registry: (NCC) XA-271 (-A)
Maximum Speed: warp factor 12.0
Initial Cost: 2500 credits
Cost of repairs per year: 100 credits
Time in Federation service: 2 years (2000-01)

Secondary Mission Profile: Alcohol & Marijuana storage and transportation unit, Taxi service (500% markup on gas & intoxicant prices)
Tertiary Mission Profile: Sleeping unit

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When a 'body starts describing various aspects of his/her car in Trek terminology, I get worried.

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: Cartman ]

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if Peugeot is still planning a comeback in America. Wouldn't mind seeing a 206 CC around here...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

MIB: NEW AND IMPROVED
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Captian Mike? You're scaring me at this point. ME!!! It's supposed to be the other way around, dammit!!!
IP: Logged
capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meow?
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well since everyone else is . . .

AKB1979's first car

Name: Shuttle 2-B (Temp)
Class 1993 Rover Metro (K-reg)
Registry: K*** *** (3 numbers followed by 3 letters - no one in my house remembers what they were! Think the first number was a '3'). So: NCC-3****!
Maximum Speed: warp factor 7.5 with short duration at warp 8.0 (7.5=75 MPH). But down hill and with a wind behind it it did reach warp 9.5! YAY!
Initial Cost: 1900 credits
Cost of repairs per year: at least 100 credits, possibly more
Time in Federation service: 1 year (1998-1999)
Disposition: Sold to another Metro lover after it was no longer needed due to change in education location/circumstances and lack of funds to continue running it. Nice to know it went to a good home. Miss Shawn and Gromit though (my nodding dogs). Got 1800 credits back for it too!

Secondary Mission Profile: Place to eat my lunch and pick sister up from school
Tertiary Mission Profile: Distraction from studies and chance to get out of the house

[ December 10, 2001: Message edited by: akb1979 ]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
Member # 709

you didnt name it? for shame...

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

CaptainMike
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a shame. Tsk Tsk.
IP: Logged
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, forgot about that - edited post.
My family now call the smallest car (my Mum's Peugeot 106) "Shuttle" - I think this is No. 3, with my Dad's Citrogen Synergy being called the "Cruiser".

Oh deary me!

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My first car was an F-Reg (1988/89) Ford Granada, gold. My dad gave it to me when he was posted abroad; I drove it for 6 months before trading it in for the 205. Unofficial name: Galaxy-class space whale (it was a real boat).

Second car was the 205, likewise F-Reg. Blue. Official name (as it was called by previous owners, friends of the family): Puddle-Jumper aka Puddley. I kid you not.

Current car: R-Reg (1998) Peugeot 306. Red. No name. Nifty little beast, nimble (power steering, can't do without it) in the city yet fast on the open road (110 mph, no problem).

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps