Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Yet more computer software problems! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet more computer software problems!
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When I picked up my upgraded PC, it did not have QuickTime installed on it (that I recall). Well now I've deleted it (after downloading it from the Net upon request from another file that I was downloading) as I don't like it and prefer Windows Media Player. My only problem is that when offline in Internet Explorer (my own-made page) and I click on a link to open a *.MOV file, it tries to open it with QuickTime - when I know that it has opened this file with Windows Media Player before and is even set to open with this program. Also, I don't have QuickTime anymore except a few *.dll files - when I delete them IE tells me that there is no player software available to play this file. But I have Windows Media Player and the file works fine if I access it from My Documents!!! [Confused]

Please help oh technical saviours as this is really, really, really PISSING me off. [Frown] [Frown]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
unfortunately, my only solution to the problem is to avoid quicktime like the plague. reformat, reinstall windows works nice.. i do it every once in a while. i still have problems because QT rewrote the .jpg file association for me too, not just the .mov

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Are you sure you could get .MOV files to open in WMP? Because I could never get it to work. . .

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Huh. That's an odd problem. I don't have that because I just design to grin and bear it (QuickTime, that is).

If this were a problem happening in both IE and from My Documents, I'd tell you to reassociate the file extension. But since it's only from the Internet, I'm not sure if there's a way to do that through IE.

Just to get it a shot, this is how you reassociate file extensions. Open My Documents. Go to View and then click on Folder Options. Click on the File Types tab, and then scroll down the list until you hit you find a listing for QuickTime Movie. Click on the QuickTime Movie listing that has the .mov extension. Click Edit. In the Actions part of the dialog box, select Open and then click the Edit button. Under Applicated Used To Perform Action, enter the location for Windows Media Player. Click OK until you get completely out of the dialog boxes. You might need to restart.

Like I said before, I don't know if this will help you at all. Unless anyone here can tell you something better, you may need to take CaptainMike's advice and do a reformat. I'd use that as a last resort, though.

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, misrepresented file types is not a cause for the big RRR, but if you're up to it, it's never a bad thing. Unless you're a novice and mess it up. Then it's pretty bad.

Did you uninstall QT, or just delete it? If you simply deleted the folder, things like the IE plugin would still work, while the files from My Documents would have to work in a different program.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
How did you manage to open a .mov file in Windows Media Player? I don't think that's supposed to be possible. I know that, when I do it, all I get is the audio.
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Which version of Windows are you using? I know that I uninstalled Quicktime in my laptop and I never had a problem with WMP being used as the default player.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

akb1979
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A *.mov file in WMP? I've always been able to do that - even with Win95. I simply select the file, right-click and select "open with". I then click the box that allows me to use that program for all associated *.mov files. Simple I thought (shrugs shoulders).

U//Magnus - what's a RRR? [Confused]

I deleted QuickTime, but it left some *.dll files in the plugins folder of Internet Explorer. As for reformatting - I've not had the PC for 2 months yet! I ain't reformatting the bloody thing - did that with the last system and got pissed off. [Frown]

Siegfried - thank's will try that and get back to you. [Big Grin]

Keep the suggestions coming in, just in case iegfried's idea fails, and not to mention that it will leave me better prepared for the next time! HEHE! Oh all this wonderful technolgy - never does what you want it to! [Big Grin]

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem I have is that QT rewrote the file association for .JPGs.. after i uninstalled QT, the new association remained. i got rid of the association, and wrote 'open with' and chose my image program. but somehow, removing the rewritten association caused my computer to forget what a jpg was.. meaning no snappy previews in explorer windows when im exploring my drive, etc. etc. ive never been able to get that back, even reinstalling various image prgrams that commandeer the .jpg extension back to themselves from my rewritten association.

BTW, my WinMP sucks now too because i thought it might be a good idea to upgrade it.. the new version doesnt support any of the movies i have named as mpegs.. it has to be .'mpg' or it wont play (or was it vice versa.. oh well) since my movie files are on CD, its gonna be a major pain in the ass to rename them. Fuck Gates and his damn company, antitrust is only the beginning.. stuff like this is deliberate software terrorism to ensure that no one ever uses non-microsoft software.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Member # 557

Sorry to hear that CaptainMike.

I forgot to mention that my Windows version is WinME - yeah, yeah I know it's crap, but I can't be arsed to change it - only 2 months old.

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Well I got some more advice from the guy I bought my PC from. He told me to restore my PC to what it was before QuickTime was installed. Now I didn't know that you could do that through the Start button menus - I thought he meant reformat and such. So I sent him and email asking if that was what he meant. This was his reply;

quote:
No I mean restore your pc, please can we keep the e-mails to 1 a week, I have about 50 a day to deal with
How rude is that!? [Eek!] [Mad] I understand that he's got a business to run and all but I'm not as technically skilled as he his and rely upon him (and you lot) for advice and help. Thinking about it I didn't really like his attitude while I was buying is - kinda like a "I'm smarter when it comes to PCs and I have my own business, so fuck you" attitude. [Frown] Don't think I'll be going back there in a hurry.

Now, about that restore . . . lets see if it works . . .

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

akb1979
Member # 557

Well it worked. Only problem was that the competer reverted to being registered to my Dad rather than me. Anyone know how to change that - I had to take it back to the shop and get them to do it, is there a way that I can do it?

--------------------

MaGiC
tutis per veneficus
Member # 59

- posted      Profile for MaGiC     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
It means changing a registry key so be VERY careful.

1) Start, run, regedit.
2) Open up hkey_local_machine

(NB when I say open up I mean click on the + sign)

3) Open up software
3) Open up microsoft
4) Open up windows
5) Select current version.
6) On the right hand side you will see an entry called 'registered owner' with your dads name next to it. Double click on it.
7) Change 'value data' from your dads name to your own.
8) Click OK
9) Close regedit. Any changes will be automatically saved.

[ March 21, 2002, 08:22: Message edited by: MaGiC ]

--------------------
"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride"

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I think you're talking about System Restore, aren't you? If so, you can only do that on ME and XP, which might explain why you've never heard of it.

Reformatting and reinstalling everything just because you've lost a file extension is roughly equivalent to burning all you skin off in a vat of boiling lava because you've got an itch.

And everyone can get Media Player to LOAD Quicktime files. But getting them to play really should be impossible, because, well, it is. Microsoft don't have the codec, and it's, well, it can't be done. Really.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And AKB, how comes you still have some dlls of Quicktime lying around? You did actually uninstall it, and not just delete it, didn't you?

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps