Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Yet more computer software problems! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Yet more computer software problems!
Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
THAT IS EXACTLY WHAT I ASKED.
akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes I did delete it, but the stupid program cocked up and left some behind for some stupid reason. [Mad]

So how do you get WMP to play QT files? I've tried everything and still can't get it to work.

Thanks for the advice on changing the registry info - I might try it if all else fails.

Stay tuned for the next update! HEHE!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm going to bed and I'm much to tired to explain this, so whoever reads this next should go ahead and explain the difference between 'uninstall' and 'delete' as they are not interchangeable concepts, but when you delete a program and files get left behind, its because you cocked up, by not uninstalling the program and simply deleting it instead.
gnight

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Uninstall: the opposite of install. A special program removes the installed program and all it's related files. It will also change back any system files that were modified from when the program was installed. And system files such as *.dll files that other programs may use will not be removed unless you specifically tell it to remove them (be careful as you may screw up your system...know what files are being used only by that program and what files are used by other programs as well...if you don't know if it's safe to remove, better to keep it). The uninstall program is removed as well. Most traces of it's existence should be removed by uninstallation.

Delete: just removes the program to the recycle/trash bin. All the related files are still there and all modified systems files remain modified. Traces of program's existence is still on computer. Nothing gets changed back to before the program was installed (this includes system and personal settings)

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah, simply deleting programs from your hard disk isn't a good thing to do to get rid of a program. Well, it's all right to do if you're running Windows 3.1 or earlier, but never on anything more advanced than that (for exactly the reasons cited by Dat).

You'll probably have to go into your registry and do some editting in that case (not to mention hunting down stray files and removing them as well). But listen to MaGiC: be careful in the registry! It's like going back in time: step on a tiny bug and suddenly you're rich and it's raining donuts.

Of course, you could always try reinstalling QuickTime and then uninstalling it. That might help, but many programs I've worked with aren't so easily fooled by that. And the uninstall option is in the Control Panel as "Add/Remove Programs."

--------------------
The philosopher's stone. Those who possess it are no longer bound by the laws of equivalent exchange in alchemy. They gain without sacrifice and create without equal exchange. We searched for it, and we found it.

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sigh. I know the difference between delete and uninstall thank you very much - the uninstaller just fucked everything up!!! [Mad] [Mad] [Mad] [Mad]

Anyway, I've ended up reinstalling QuickTime - what shite - the image displayed in Internet Explorer is only about 3" in size, can't see shit! [Mad] [Mad] Oh well, I plan to get Norton SytemWorks 2002 shortly and hopefully I'll make some headway with that. I do not intend to mess with the registry just yet as I'm not skilled enough and am not such a hugh fan of donuts as Homer is - the hurt my teeth.

Ah well, back to the drawing board I guess . . . [Mad]

Thanks for all your help guys - this place is really useful. [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps