Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Need a new computer (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Need a new computer
AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OK, my computer is like 6 years old - I need a new computer.

Can I get some ideas... what should I look for, what should I avoid. I don't need to go too techy - and I don't need to go too flash... I want something, though that is GOOD, with CD burner etc... I'm thinking of down the track getting a video-cap-card. I want to maybe down the track be able to do music on it - like hook up a keyboard (do you still use midi for this!?!)

I want a nice screen - cause down the track I want to get a 3d program and join you 3d drawing sorta people ;o) Plus I want it to be just the next step beyond what you'd call 'the norm' - i.e. to get a bit of value out of it. ALSO It can't be WAAYYYY too expensive.

Thanks

Andrew

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Son, you have no idea what you have started here. I smell 32 pages to this thread, computer configs are somewhat subjective, I could say. [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a number of guides to computers on the internet. There's bound to be one here, here , and a very good one here .
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Do you want a desktop unit or a laptop? If you want a laptop, then go with a Sony Vaio FX series computer. It's a nice one to have unless you have over $2000 for a Sony Vaio GR series. If you want a desktop then I suggest that you get a Dell. But whatever you do, never buy Compaq because hardware problems arise way too often.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
build your own... its fun

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Nim
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"It's...fun."
That's what you say while lying under two tons of rusty metal wreckage, dying from trying to change processor.

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If your processor weighs two tons and is rusty, I definitely support your decision to upgrade

--------------------

Flower Man
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude. You're getting a Dell! hehehe

Seriously though, Popular Science recently ran an article about which computer company offers the best $900 dollar computer. I can fish it out and copy the article on the board if you want.

[ March 18, 2002, 10:45: Message edited by: Flower Man ]

IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Building it yourself is a pain and a hastle... go buy online or in a store.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

capped
Member # 709

unless you enjoy such things.. my friend Derek and i built our computers at his house on the same night, staying up the whole time taking apart old computers for components and putting them in the shiny new cases we had bout, along with all the new processors boards and fun stuff like that.. we ended up with four usable machines (two of them very high-end, and two of them put together with leftovers). it was one of the best times ive ever had

--------------------

Nim
Member # 205

"It was...fun." *chipped blade from processor-fan finally stops heart* "Oh my."

--------------------
Mel Gibson, X-Men

capped
Member # 709

"I've never trusted CPU heat-sink fans.. and i never will.. i can never forgive them.. for the death of my boy"

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

In all seriousness. If you're up to the task, build your own... you can often do so cheaper than buying a preassembled one.

But, if you're not up to the task, get a Dell. Seriously... *L*

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is a suggested configuration:

Motherboard: Elitegroup K7S6A or a Microstar KT333.
Processor: AMD Athlon XP +1800
Heatsink: Globalwin CAK38
RAM: 256 MB DDR (333 MHz)
Video card: ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce MX400, 64 MB RAM DDR.
Sound card: Included.
Modem: If you can rip out the one in your old one and reuse it here, I strongly suggest it.
Hard Drive: Same, rip out the old hard drive, use it here as a secondary master. Buy a Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM as the Primary Master and you're all set.
Also rip out the floppy drive and the CD-Rom and add it to your new computer (unless you want a faster speed CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM).

I hope I didn't forget anything.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Tahna Los:
Here is a suggested configuration:

Motherboard: Elitegroup K7S6A or a Microstar KT333.
Processor: AMD Athlon XP +1800
Heatsink: Globalwin CAK38
RAM: 256 MB DDR (333 MHz)
Video card: ATI Radeon 8500 or GeForce MX400, 64 MB RAM DDR.
Sound card: Included.
Modem: If you can rip out the one in your old one and reuse it here, I strongly suggest it.
Hard Drive: Same, rip out the old hard drive, use it here as a secondary master. Buy a Maxtor 40GB 7200 RPM as the Primary Master and you're all set.
Also rip out the floppy drive and the CD-Rom and add it to your new computer (unless you want a faster speed CD-ROM or a DVD-ROM).

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Yes - a price? [Big Grin]

AndrewR - upgrading is obviously a good idea, but perhaps you shouldn't do it all at once. Maybe upgrade in stages (to spread the cost). You might also consider transferring some of your old components to the new PC - floppy drive, CD-Rom, printer, speakers, sound card etc. I know that these don't cost much nowadays, but the amount you could save (between �70 and �100 over here) might just be enough to get the next size graphics card and/or processor. I would recommend keeping you CD-rom even if it has a low speed as it is useful for burning your own CDs (it's faster with two drives). As for the monitor - I have a 15" one and it's not let me down for performance - if you have a 15" monitor I'd keep it. If you want a 17" one (or even 19") see if you can get a deal by exchanging the monitor (along with the other parts) to get the larger monitor with you only paying the difference. If you're happy to stick with the monitor that you have (I'm assuming it's 15") then I'd wait until prices drop a bit unless you have �200+ to spend. Or should all of these �'s be ing Australian Dollars? [Confused] Oh well, that's my 2p, hope it give ya something to consider.

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps