Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Need a new computer (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Need a new computer
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drawbacks of getting a Mac?

Well, from the basic perspective, I see none. I've used Macs for nearly ten years now, and I've never had a serious problem with one. I've owned my own Mac for four of those years (first a Blue iMac, and since last November, an iBook) -- and I can truly say that I've never had to do anything like reformat the hard drive or any other fun stuff like that.

The biggest potential drawback is application availability. First, Apple has recently started pushing OS X on all new computers -- but some applications aren't quite ready/available for the advanced OS yet. (Older programs that work with OS 9 need to be converted -- "Carbonized" -- to work natively in OS X. They can still be run in an emulator-type environment called "Classic.")

However, most of the major applications are now available for OS X. Microsoft Office, Adobe products, and so on.

The only real "problem" that I could point out would be from a Trekker's perspective, if you're interested in gaming. The majority of Trek games aren't available for Mac. They've been promising us "Starfleet Command II" for the past six months, but it's been repeatedly pushed back. Other games like "Armada" never went for the Mac at all. (Although both "Elite Force" and that DS9 game about the Pagh-Wraiths are both available for Mac.)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Like Mikey said, build your own. It is fun!

Had to do it myself just one week ago... my old motherboard fried itself and just about everything on it. Provided me with a nice excuse to get my hands dirty on some tasty new hardware.

Not much can go wrong if you know what you are doing (it ain't rocketscience) and excert some caution. The benefits also far outweigh the few disadvantages.

Oh yeah, one last thing: don't buy a Mac. Software compatibility.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
still wondering how you couldve gotten electrocuted and survived, seeing as the definition of 'electrocute' means that a living organism recieves an electrical charge until its life functions cease (Hence my rather stunning Star Trek II quote). Perhaps the computer gave you an electric shock? That would result in the current leaving you in a still-living state.

Here's a quick way to check: Hold two fingers against your neck.. if you feal a steady pulse, it probably means you only received an electric shock. If you have trouble finding your pulse, have your parents help. If you can't find a pulse, or if the fingers rather easily rend the rotting decomposing flesh beneath your jaw, it probably means you are dead, yet still your soul remains for some reason. Want to know how to get rid of it? Here's what you need:
Three pieces of Scotch tape, measured out to 3"
A styrofoam cup (if you can't find styrofoam, use paper)
Four wooden stakes
Two cloves of garlic
One Holy Bible

oh hold on .. i'll be right back

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Not much can go wrong if you know what you are doing (it ain't rocketscience) and excert some caution. The benefits also far outweigh the few disadvantages.

Care to give us a list of those advantages and disadvantages?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Care to give us a list of those advantages and disadvantages?

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [/QB]

I'd be happy to.

Pros:
-building PC's from scratch is far cheaper than buying a "prefab" machine
-provides you with a chance to gain valuable experience
-possible to select only those components you want

Cons:
-could fry parts with static electricity
-could fry self
-could damage something
-could damage self
-need to possess a fair amount of knowledge
-is more of a hassle to select everything and order it from seperate stores

There's more, but I gotta go back to work.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Cartman:
Oh yeah, one last thing: don't buy a Mac. Software compatibility.

Compatibility is not the issue at all. In fact, Macs are more compatible with most software formats in general -- because Macs have superior translation programs. Moving files from PC to Mac is no trouble at all any more. (Heck, most of the time they don't need to be converted at all!) That's originally why I bought Micro$oft Office a couple of years ago -- because the University network was mainly Windows machines, but using Office for Mac made it a lot easier to use some of the files, especially Word, etc.

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

I've used both platforms for quite a while now. I started on PCs back before Widows, when the Internet was still FIDOnet and OPUS, but found that I was working very hard just to get the machine to do very simple things. One day our school got some Macs, and though I thought they lookied kind of silly (these were the little black and white all-in-ones with the 9in. black and white screen.) I found it so easy to do things, and what I learned in one program made me that much better in the next. The computer wanted to help me do things, where I was fighting it the whole way on the PC. It seemed like I was actually getting somewhere. That's changed somewhat with windows, but anyone who has used both extensively will tell you that Windows is just a crude imitator of the Mac OS. I still prefer the Mac.

I would say the real stumbling block is in the games. If you are into gaming and want to play the newest hottest games, (well first of all you're going to need to get a beefier configuration) but you probably won't be happy with the Mac. We still get games, most of the good ones, but it usually takes six months or more. Most of the major software programs are available for both platforms. For your basics like internet compatibility, word processing, spreadsheets, and graphics, you're really not going to have any trouble finding good apps. As MM said, our machines tend to be more compatible than PCs (I fear more out of necessity than anything else). I run a program called Dave which lets my Mac talk to PC networks. This continually freaks my PC friends out. You will find there aren't as many shareware applications for Mac, but that can be a good thing, as there are still plenty available and we tend to get the good stuff.

If you are just getting into computers, though, a Mac is often a good way to go. Apple spends a lot of money and effort in "usability" studies, which is a kind of hippie way of saying testing. They make sure that a broad selection of people enjoy the experience of using their products, and that said products are easy and fun. A lot of PC users make fun of us for this, but I'm all for having a pleasant user experience as the computer is where I spend most of my time. Of course, I am a graphic designer, and we're a queer lot of touchy-feely proto-babies who get off on things like pretty OS graphics and nice-looking hardware. They are easier to set-up and use. The interface has evolved over the years to be a friendly and productive environment. I find that I need to spend very little time working getting my computer to work, and that gives me a lot more time to get my work (and play done). Anyway, I gotta go to work...

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

akb1979
Just loves those smilies!
Member # 557

- posted      Profile for akb1979     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks Cartman, I guess that means that I'd better go on that PC maintenance & upgrade course at my local college in September with my Dad - for the knowledge. Never know, might end up building my sister a new PC . . . naw - she can do it herself! HEHE!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
If you cant convince them, confuse them.

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well the Macs are easier to use, which is why they are now being installed in the elementary schools of LAUSD. But PC's are being installed at the middle and high schools since students want a challenge to bypass the security software to access the Playboy site.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps