Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Sci-Fi Tax? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Sci-Fi Tax?
Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Apparantly a possibility...

http://www.scifi.com/scifiwire/art-main.html?2002-04/24/11.00.books

--------------------
"Kirito? I killed a thing and now it says I have XPs! Is that bad? Am I dying?"

-Asuna, Episode 2, Sword Art Online Abridged

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WTF??

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
He works at Publix Super Market at Hampton Cove.
Makes sense.

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey, it would fund NASA ...

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually not a possibility, as the candidate is a wacko even by Alabama standards, which is saying something.

This ties in to something I'm going to talk about in my other rant, so, you know, stay tuned and stuff.

Also, I apologize to Alabama. We are all in this together!

[ April 24, 2002, 12:24: Message edited by: Sol System ]

Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
He must have been beat up by nerds as a child.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Revenge of the Nerd, part One.

--------------------
".mirrorS arE morE fuN thaN televisioN" - TEH PNIK FLAMIGNO

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, my first reaction was also a big "WTF?" that scared both my cats sleeping in my room.

But upon consideration, funding NASA isn't as bad a cause as some other things that this country's taxes are used for. But then, I'm not that happy with the current NASA management either.

Still, I agree that this candidate must be a wacko. (Working in a supermarket? That's pretty funny...)

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Probably fund NASA for a couple of years and then get filtered into the DoD's budget...

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming that NASA as a whole doesn't get folded into the DoD as well...seeing where the world is heading, its not that absurd a possibility.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The new guy seems intent on making it into the PR arm of DoD. "Oh! Look! We're sending teachers into space!"

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Rhi'a
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
LOL! That's the funniest thing I've seen since my vitsa was attacked by bannana birds! [Smile] [Smile]
~Rhi'a

*The heart that breaks open can contain the whole universe.-Joanna Marcy*

IP: Logged
Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That is a scary thought...

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
1%? I don't know exactly how much money is involved in the entire SF-industry, but I don't think that one percent of that will be a very significant contribution to NASA.

--------------------
Signature.

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If there are ten million sci-fi fans in the US, and they all spend at least ten dollars in a year on sci-fi related merchandise (Star Wars crap, Star Trek crap, ID4 crap, whatever), then NASA gets a million bucks.

Not much, true, but ... that's a conservative estimate of how much a sci-fi fan spends in a year on sci-fi crap.

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps