Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The End of the World is Near! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The End of the World is Near!
The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This goes on the bottom of my list of things to worry about. For end of the world doom-merchants, the impending collapse of a massive, partially underwater, mountain in the Canaries is far more worthy some worry lines.

This was announced last year, and geologists say it is on the verge of collapsing and plummetting into the ocean. It could happen anytime between today and 100 years from now. The Tsunami it would create would be akin to Deep Impact, destroying everything on east coast of the US, going inland several hundred miles, and most of Europe would disappear beneath mile high tidal waves.

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Shit, bullshit; shite, bullshite. All that gun oil is obviously affecting your brain.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What gun oil?

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Got some more information on that collapsing mountain, Admiral?
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by The Red Admiral:
The Tsunami it would create would be akin to Deep Impact, destroying everything on east coast of the US, going inland several hundred miles, and most of Europe would disappear beneath mile high tidal waves.

True, but once we'd dried off, we'd be left with a world lacking Canada and most of the US. I say we risk it.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I'm over a kilometer above and 1000 km inland of any damn ocean. Bring it on.

[ May 26, 2002, 18:49: Message edited by: The_Tom ]

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tom has just demanded the death of many of your country men.

I wouldn't be too happy about that if I was one of you, let me tell you.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Meh.
Omega
Some other beginning's end
Member # 91

- posted      Profile for Omega     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Oh, now that's just absurd. We wouldn't be wiped out. We'd just loose New York, DC, and Baltimore. All cities we can do without. [Wink]

--------------------
"This is why you people think I'm so unknowable. You don't listen!"
- God, "God, the Devil and Bob"

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Assuming we didn't want to make money any more.
Grokca
Member # 722

- posted      Profile for Grokca     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hey Tom after the wave we could go over and colonize their little island, that would be a switch.

--------------------
"and none of your usual boobery."
M. Burns

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
^ Not to mention all the southern states, Omega. YAY!

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The Red Admiral
Admiral on Deck....
Member # 602

- posted      Profile for The Red Admiral     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yep it's all true. But it's old news. For those that haven't heard of this story where the heck were you!? This story broke big time at the end of last year...

--------------------
"To the Enterprise and the Stargazer. Old girlfriends we'll never meet again." - Scotty

Trekmania -My Comprehensive Trek Resource

The ASDB

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Not to worry, we have 150 million years give or take a hundred thousand to devise and build a defense for Earth (assuming that Earth and humans survive that long).

Byt the way is it my imgination, or is it that light is the fastest, and if the star(s) were to explode 150 lightyears away, any damage to Earth would have to wait at least 150 years. Of course the light that we from the star(s) on the moment of the explosion, would also have the shockwave tailing right behind, assuming of course that the shockwave is as fast as the speed of light.

--------------------
Matrix
If you say so
If you want so
Then do so

Alpha Centauri
Usually seen somewhere in the Southern skies
Member # 338

- posted      Profile for Alpha Centauri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
OMG! I live in the Netherlands, 2.2 meters below sea level! Perhaps it *is* time to emigrate to Tibet or something... [Smile] Indeed, it's not the star I'm worrying about.

--------------------
Signature.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps