Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I need HTML (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I need HTML
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
I just wish the accendentally instealled Dreamweaver or somethiong on my computer and I not know it. (Begins multipe disk searches)

Go for it, man!
Aban Rune
Former ascended being
Member # 226

- posted      Profile for Aban Rune     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude...noone accidentally installed Dreamweaver on your computer... It's a Macromedia product. It doesn't come standard with anything.

--------------------
"Nu ani anqueatas"

Aban's Illustration
The Official Website of Shannon McRandle

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yeah... Dreamweaver costs approximately $400... and that's just Dreamweaver, not including any image software that's generally a must-have for a site.

I started our about three years ago using Claris Home Page, which is a basic WYSIWYG editor -- I didn't really learn HTML either, aside from reading some of the code that the program produced. So I could probably learn to handle hand-coding pretty easily if I wanted to -- but I don't. [Wink]

For most fledgling Trek-related sites, I'd strongly recommend getting a minimal WYSIWYG editor -- sorry, but I don't know much about Windows-based programs that are small yet capable.

As an alternative, you could try downloading the Macromedia MX free trials which let you run the full program for 30 days to evaluate it. You're probably not ready to make the full jump, but you could at least test the waters.

What I'd recommend is that you get your site established first, and get everything set up and usable using methods that you already know or can easily learn. Compare my original site to the current version -- I think you'll notice a bit of an improvement. In the beginning, all I used was Claris Home Page (a program that was last released in 1998) and AppleWorks, a very simple graphics program, to get my material. Then I started branching out into more complex styles, and learned to use more capable programs like Photoshop. I recently purchased the Macromedia Dreamweaver/Fireworks suite, and am in the process of creating an entirely new setup for my site using the (relatively) advanced methods that I now know.

The most important thing to remember is, be patient. You're not going to come up with something that's as sleek as Ex Astris Scientia, or with a cool interface like the Daystrom Institute Technical Library, in just a week or even a month of learning programming for the Internet. It's a long process -- but it'll pay off eventually. Just keep at it! [Smile]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I just want a databse thing, kinda like SSD except with tumbnails.
IP: Logged
The BWC
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here is the new address:

Ok, just click the link.

IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps