Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Akira Kurosawa: "The Hidden Fortress" (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Akira Kurosawa: "The Hidden Fortress"
Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
From the Internet Movie Data Base:

quote:

Directed by
Akira Kurosawa
Writing credits
Shinobu Hashimoto
Ryuzo Kikushima
(more)

Plot Summary: Two peasant farmers are refugees, trying to return home after a war. They ... (more) (view trailer)

User Rating: 8.0/10 (1099 votes)

Credited cast overview:
Minoru Chiaki .... Tahei
Susumu Fujita .... General Hyoe Tadokoro
Kamatari Fujiwara .... Matakishi
Toshiko Higuchi .... The Farmer's Daughter
Toshir� Mifune .... General Rokurota Makabe
Eiko Miyoshi .... Lady-in-waiting
Takashi Shimura .... The Old General, Izumi Nagakura
Kichijiro Ueda .... Girl-Dealer
Misa Uehara .... Princess Yukihime
Koji Mitsui .... Soldier
Tadao Nakamaru .... Young Man
Rinsaku Ogata .... Young Man
Shiten Ohashi .... Samurai
Ikio Sawamura .... Gambler

Also Known As:
Hidden Fortress, The (1962) (USA)
Three Bad Men in a Hidden Fortress (1958) (International: English title: literal title)
Three Rascals in the Hidden Fortress (1958) (International: English title)
Runtime: 139 / USA:126
Language: Japanese
Color: Black and White
Sound Mix: Mono
Certification: Finland:K-16

This is my third Kurosawa film, having already seen "Ran" and "The Seven Samuri".
George Lucas has a feature on the DVD, talking about how the film, and Kurosawa in general, influenced him, and that this movie was in his mind as he wrote the screen play for "Star Wars". He goes to say that he didn't use direct elements of the film in SW, but as I watched the movie, I saw where Han, Obi Wan, Princess Leya, R2, CP30 and Lando all came from. Plus some of, or at least one of, the scenes were direcly adapted to SW.

I love this film, and look forward to seeing more of Kurosawa's work, as well as Toshir� Mifune who played General Rokurota Makabe, our hero for this film.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

David Templar
Saint of Rabid Pikachu
Member # 580

- posted      Profile for David Templar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A friend of mine has the DVD, I was wondering what it was.

--------------------
"God's in his heaven. All's right with the world."

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Nothing's truly original.
The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*grumbles at Lucas and all that inspired-by-myth bullshit*

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Gee golly I want a Porsche now! [Big Grin]
The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You want a $70,000 Porsche SUV?

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Malnurtured Snay
Blogger
Member # 411

- posted      Profile for Malnurtured Snay     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you'll pay for it, darling ... [Smile]

--------------------
www.malnurturedsnay.net

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hell no.

Besides, you can get the Volkswagen version. Much cheaper...

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I been saying that shit for years.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
So, is there action in it as well? Like, shiny metal shafts used to lessen people's health?

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I tried to watch the Hidden Fortress once, but I couldn't sit through it. Not because it was not in English, but because the Japanese acting style is very different and the movie seemed very slow, so I just turned it off. Maybe now I'll be able to watch it the entire way through.

--------------------
Meh

OnToMars
Now on to the making of films!
Member # 621

- posted      Profile for OnToMars     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Woah...

Has anybody ever seen this ?

--------------------
If God didn't want us to fly, he wouldn't have given us Bernoulli's Principle.

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
the phantom edits are easy to find, if you're interested. Chances are good a Local Video Store has a copy, even.
bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I wonder if a Phantom Edit could save EpII?

Hidden Fortress is probably a little slow for American audiences at first. It does pick up a bit after Toshiro Mifune shows up. He's just great to watch. It is interesting to see the parallels with Star Wars, particularly in regards to the droids. Gotta love Kurosawa. We look forward to your thoughts on Yojimbo and Rashomon, Kosh.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I must say I prefer "Seven Samurai" to "The Magnificent Seven", although the latter is a good western-movie on its own.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps