Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Akira Kurosawa: "The Hidden Fortress" (Page 2)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Akira Kurosawa: "The Hidden Fortress"
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe a Phantom Edit could save Harry Potter, as well.

$$$$$$$$Warning, Potter-ites, Sarcasm Ahead$$$$$

"Look, I have a pet owl who helps me and is great and also very smart!"

Indeed. So? Does he give you advice, like "Don't fuck with the teachers and the house rules on your first year, pipsqueek!"
No, huh? Doesn't seem to do anything to the plot at all, does he? Awfully cute, though.

"Hey, here's a shiny little marble that shifts colour if there's something I missed to do!

Yeah, and a lot of good it did to you, I see. Now put it away, the readers among the audience have remembered it now, time to move on to the next book-cameos around the corner!!! Woohoo!

"Wow, I have now aquired the famed "Sorcerer's Stone", a mighty stone that could make me an incredible sorcerer and bring balance to the Force!!!"

Cool, so what does the plot device...do? Does something happen when you pick it up? Hmm, no. Does it shoot death rays at heathens and evil people? Nope. Looks nice and glowy though, kid! Hope it doesn't give ya cancer!

Oh, and you probably shouldn't sneeze while holding it, the Stone could misinterpret it and you'll unintentionally perform a "Howling Dragon's Triple-Firebolt"-spell that kills all your friends walking in front of you.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

So, is there action in it as well? Like, shiny metal shafts used to lessen people's health?

There are a couple of nice fight scenes, but I don't think there was any heads lolling about. There is one of the best spear fights I've ever seen, in film or live.

All in all This is a very good film, as have been all the Kurosawa made movies I've seen so far.

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Where exactly does one see live spear fights?
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rule One: You do not talk about Live Spear Fight Club.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That one's always been bothering me,
when ninja clans, or other fighter groups in movies, have domestic tournaments, where they kill eachother to see which one is the fittest.

That's such a stupidass idea, the guys coming at fourth and fifth place was maybe not on par with the winner, but they sure as hell could've pulled their weight in the organization, why kill off good resources??? They were obviously better than the low ones that are cheering in the crowd, not even participating.
Stupid elitist asian warlords...*grumble*

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

Rule One: You do not talk about Live Spear Fight Club.

Wish Id thought of that!

quote:

Where exactly does one see live spear fights?

Class. We had a good bit of spear work in the classes I took. Not that I got that far, but some did.

[Cool]

[ July 02, 2002, 06:12: Message edited by: Kosh ]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Whoa. Algebra was nothing like that for me. I shoulda gone to a better school.
Lee
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I hope Ed was referring to his schooldays, and not some of the training he underwent when he joined the US Postal Service. Can you imagine? Going postal - with spears?

quote:
Wish I'd thought of that!
*knowing look* I go on Tuesday. . . you? 8)

--------------------

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am Joe's hemmorhaging spear wound.

So, how does one engage in a spear fight w/o someone getting a hole put through them?

Lee
Member # 393

Rule Three: No shoes, no shirts, no not wearing chainmail.

--------------------

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

quote:

So, how does one engage in a spear fight w/o someone getting a hole put through them?

Fake tips.

The Broard swords were light weight and very flexabable, the only real weapons I saw in class was the Bow, Knives, and Nunchaku. No sparing with the real stuff, and not that much with the fake stuff.

Just went to look for the web site. My instructor moved to Washington DC about three years ago. Site is nbot there anymore. Shaoin Do seemed to be big enough when I was in it, but I've been out since before Benny moved. Old Bones, sore joints!

[Cool]

--------------------
Think!
EMSparks

Shalamar:

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps