Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I am in immense pain. (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: I am in immense pain.
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swim.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

darkwing_duck1
Member # 790

- posted      Profile for darkwing_duck1     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am amazed that people still credit the cliche "no pain no gain". Pain is your body's way of telling you that something is not right. It's one thing to be fatigued, and that sometimes can almost be pain if it's extreme, but if you are actually hurting then you are doing something wrong, or entirely too much of it.

My recommendation (like several others') would be to switch to something low impact, like bike riding or swimming or stair-master. Just make sure you stretch out properly for a warm up and then cool down properly at the end.

Ritten
A Terrible & Sick leek
Member # 417

- posted      Profile for Ritten     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No pain no gain.... If this is true, bat yourself in the head with a hammer three times a day every day... then tell me what you have gained in a month...

I didn;t see anybody list comforatable shoes, unless I missed it.... I had a pair of steel toed boots that were comfortable enough to walk several miles in, which I did when the car broke down... Walking with the extra weight on your feet will also help burn calories, although steel toed boots aren't recommended... unless walking in traffic...

Cut out any pop from your diet, go to water and some fruit juices... the dietary considerations should be a big part of your weight loss program...

Plus, if you are weighing yourself to gauge your progress remeber that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you actually gain weight this is the reason... Go by your measurements, this is a way of determining body fat content using a formula that involves your neck and waist measurements, age, and hieght, but I don't remember ever seeing it on the net, and haven't used it since I was in the Army...

Good luck, take it easy, and may you beat the dickey-do...

--------------------
"You are a terrible human, Ritten." Magnus
"Urgh, you are a sick sick person..." Austin Powers
A leek too, pretty much a negi.....

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Something that's working for my current weight situation, though it's a bit pricey to get started, is going to the gym. I'm LOVING that. It's air conditioned, there's stuff on TV to distratct you from the fact that you're stairstepping, you can read a magazine, or just socialize with other people to make time seem to go quicker. And they're equipped with LOTS of different machines to help you work different parts of your body, so it's not always that same old thing.

If you have a friend that will go with you, that makes it even more fun.

It's just a thought, though, I don't know what you have in your schedule or budget that might allow it. If you DO go that route, however, don't just sign uip at the first gym you go to. Most will give you a trial membership to see if you like the place. Take advantage of that! If you like the atmosphere, you're WAY more likely to make use of the facility.

And also, I'd like to back up the theory of comfortable shoes. If you haven't yet, invest in a nice pair of tennis shoes or the like-- good shoes can reduce a LOT of the impact that you're feeling on your ankles and knees just by absorbing a bit of the pressure with each step.

Good luck, Siggy!!! [Smile]

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, I don't agree with 'no pain, no gain,' but I don't exactly disagree with it, either.

From what I've learned, you should exercise a muscle until it just begins to hurt a little, no more. That beginning tells you that you're starting to push it past its upper limit.

Another way that works with things like weights and resistance, that my brother used to judge (and he's in much better shape than I am) was, if you're doing it right, you should notice, after you've put the weights down/off, that when you move the muscle it seems like you're very light... like it's very easy to flex the muscle. (That's as well as I can describe it.)

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes, no matter how much you stretch you will hurt, because the muscles only grow when forced to work harder than they are used to, which means some of the musclefibers inside break. This is normal.

"Remember that muscle weighs more than fat, so if you actually gain weight this is the reason."

Not until after several months do the muscles start growing THAT noticeably, but after some time of regular workout the body gathers water to circulate, which can contribute.

Juice is better than soda, true, but since drinking a glass of orange juice doesn't provide the fibres inherent in a real orange, juices aren't unlimited either. And no, orange juice with "added extra fibre" is not the same either.

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Swimming is an excellent way to increase muscle tone and endurance with exceptionally little impact on joints and tendon parts. Unfortunately it generally isn't a great way to actually lose weight. I was 6'4" 230 for most of high school. I did water polo and swimming all four years. My belly didn't ever go away. Treading water for 4 hours every day with the occasional sprint swim and I still had the love handles. (Freakin' strong legs though) (BTW I would kill to get back to 230)

I've only seen a couple pictures of you Siggy, but I got the impression that you're also fairly tall. If this is indeed the case, I'd strongly recommend not jogging. Our bodies are allready under way more stress than medium sized people. Big people have a tough enough time as it is, your joints don't need more aggrevation. Save your cartilage for when you're old.

I'd say stick with the walking and diet. Ritten is ride about soda. I was amazed to learn just how many calories are in even innocuous-seeming sodas like Sprite. Fresca has zero calories and Diet Coke rules if you need the caffeine. Walking 3 miles in 55 minutes is very good. It's that kind of aerobic activity that will burn fat. If it feels like you're plateauing, add a little more go another mile.

The exercycles are also good (Personally I find the gym impossibly tedious and greatly prefer doing the real thing in re: walking and riding). Jogging and running are exceptionally brutal on the knees even for tiny skinny people. I walk a lot now. I live next to a big hill and have designed a good aerobic walk with a smooth warm-up, a long climb and then a nice cool-down. I do it at night so no one has to see me huffing and puffing and it's cooler. I've started bringing hand-weights to work my arms. I'm down to 286 from 300 and I feel a lot better.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, there's pain and there's pain. There's stop-before-you-permanently-cripple-yourself pain, and there's I-can't-go-on-I-want-to-die,-oh-wait-I'm-breaking-through-the-threshhold,-this-is-actually-getting-easier pain. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Fresca has zero calories and Diet Coke rules if you need the caffeine
It has zero calories? Is it air in a can?

As a useless aside, I see far more fat people drinking diet coke than thin people. Therefore the only obvious explanation is that diet coke makes you fat. Behold my M@D L0g!k Sk!llz!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Siegfried
Fullmetal Pompatus
Member # 29

- posted      Profile for Siegfried     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Holy. Cow. I didn't expect to get all this advice on exercising and dieting. Thanks, all of you.

So... looks like ya'll are telling me to drop the idea of jogging or running. Walking is good, so keep on doing it provided I stretch out really well and wear good, comfortable shoes.

Listen to the pain to that my body produces, it will tell me whether I'm developing muscle or crippling myself. Save the cartilage, but whack myself in the head three times a day for a month. Use Epsom-salted water to soak the ankles, but not in the good cookingware.

Going to the gym is good idea if I can afford it and talk a friend into coming. Shop around and love trial memberships. Bicycling is good, but stay away from mountain bikes because they don't work well when trying to outrun an 18-wheeler. Also make sure that my pelvic region is comfortable. Swimming is good, but don't wear Speedos.

Measure progress not by weight but by measurements since weight is misleading. Drop the soda, and drink water and real fruit juice instead. Make sure to think about the dietary concerns because it plays a big part in losing weight.

That's certainly a lot to think about. [Big Grin]

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Drink only water. Nothing else.

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dude! Drink ONLY soda! Eat nothing but suger!

Kidding, of course. I've been getting a little heavy around the gut myself, and I started walking every where it's plausible to walk to.

Doing that and drinking only water has helped me loose two gut inches already, and I'm actually developing a tan from that thing we call the sun.

Which means I'm still chunky, but at least I'm working on it, and I don't look like a total computer geek now, with translucently white skin.

I haven't really changed my diet aside from dropping the doritos and coke (which, I'm sad to say, was for awhile just about the only thing I drank. It's scary to me now, but hey, I was studying all the time. Maybe I can keep off all that this fall when I make the return to college life.)

If I can make it back down to 160 I'll be a happy camper.

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Siegfried:
Thanks for the advice. Considering how sore my ankles are at the moment, I doubt I will be attempting jogging again in the very near future. Instead, I think I will just concentrate on walking and seeing if I can manage getting out to the trail more than three times a week.

In the meantime, I'll start pricing bicycles and seeing if there is a safe place to ride it without fear of joining the dozens of squashed squirrels I see everyday on the roads.

Ah, Squirrels, nature's little speedbumps! As for bikes, I suggest trying to find one with full suspension. It can be more pricey, but in the long run your groin will thank you. I usually ride my bike to school an back. and some days when I forget to strech, I pull a muscle down there. Hurts like a bitch to even arch your back a bit.

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dropping jogging altogether is not necessarily good. Stuff like that varies from person to person. You could try it and see if it hurts in the wrong places. Or try it after you've lost a bit of weight.

This is why gym membership is good. There are people there to help with this sort of thing.

Oh, and don't get too extreme. You can change your diet drastically, exercise all the time, and lose weight, but you might find you've stopped having fun.

Don't let it run your life. And remember it's a means to an end, not an end in itself.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Drink only water. Nothing else.
Make that rainwater. Or pure grain alchohol in a pinch or on social occasions.
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps