Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Like... HELP! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Like... HELP!
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
There are a few bugs, yeah.

To be fair to Charles though, asking someone to use a newer browser than NS4 isn't demanding that they use "cutting edge" technology. It's 5 years old! In computing terms, that's ancient. And the argument falls down even more when you consider that newer browsers are free. And apart from Andrew's undisclosed problems, I've never known a system to crash because it's had too high a version of Internet Explorer on it.

Sure, if he'd made it so that the forums only worked on IE 6, then there would be a valid compaint. But NS4? Come on. Next people will be compaining that it won't work properly when they try to use Windows 3.1

And Chuckie hates the MAC IE. Methinks Microsoft made it bad, so that they could laugh at you! And it worked! HAHAHAHA!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
When did you become a Old Technonazi? It's kind of scary.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I have many layers.

I think it's related to my dislike of people who hate change.

Yes. It is.

Either that, or it's because I now have Windows XP. PH�@R M�!

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
0H N0(5!11 YU0 43r +o l33+ pH0r M3! YU0 43R v@Ry uNique @5 NO 0n3 u353$ w1nd0w3$ xP!11 i+ 1$ r4RE!1
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by PsyLiam:
To be fair to Charles though, asking someone to use a newer browser than NS4 isn't demanding that they use "cutting edge" technology. It's 5 years old!

Oh, I agree completely there. No offense to Andrew, but yeah, Netscape 4 is nothing but ancient. They're up to Netscape 7 now. (Though didn't they skip Netscape 5? I don't recall hearing about that version at all.)

The problem is that if you're using a computer that's even more than two years old, you're going to get stuck with some problems. And though a lot of Internet programmers/webmasters (myself included, just see the new version of my website, link in signature) like to use the latest and greatest features that new XHTML/Javascript/CSS programming can offer. There's nothing wrong with that, of course, but the fact remains that not everyone can consistently keep up with the latest and greatest.

Now, making compromises for a five-year-old browser is certainly a bit much. But if a two-year-old system can't handle some new feature properly, then THAT'S when you're getting into a problem area.

Also, the whole point of an internet community such as this one is that it can be open to as many people as possible. What's the point in that if it's closed to someone who happens to use Mac? Or is stuck running Windows 95? I know you've got to draw the line somewhere, but maybe the line's being drawn too close?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

quote:
0H N0(5!11 YU0 43r +o l33+ pH0r M3! YU0 43R v@Ry uNique @5 NO 0n3 u353$ w1nd0w3$ xP!11 i+ 1$ r4RE!1

Ah, but where you are being tired and chiched, I was raising the bar to new heights by my clever and unique use of a pound symbol in my crazy young person talk. Yes.

MM: You have a point about Mac users though, and I think Charles is trying to correct that. The fact that it didn't work properly in NS4 was known before he uploaded it, but the Mac stuff is new. Hopefully he'll fix it.

--------------------

Member # 239

I was overcompensating for the fact that I cannot use the pound symbol without resorting to Alt+random numbering. Which is wholly far too much effort.
Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Hopefully he'll fix it.
No. Macs must die.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Colorful Cartman:
No. Macs must die.

Aw, you're just jealous because OS X is cooler than Windows. [Razz]

See, some people argue about Macs being a non-mainstream system. I argue about how cool Macs are. Now we're both being childish, okay?

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

And the Enterprise and Avenger-classes?

--------------------

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Omniweb doesn't use Gecko - if it did, things would render as expected.

The MacIE problem seems to be that it hates position: relative. I'll hack on things in a few days to see if I can fix that up.

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Liam + [Smile] + Brit-specific 1337-5p33k = fear
Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What is my university using?
Well in short, I have no bloody idea.
Its like some UNIX version if you login most rooms, yet in others you get Windows 95. However, all applications, data, and settings don't seem to care.
On top of that someone keeps on whispering something about Solaris, which I always thought was a bad Russian movie.....that they want to remake for some odd reason come to think of it.

As for upgrading....yeah.....I don't think they do that, for a world renowned CS school, we seem to have our computers administered by Laurentian, Carleton, or Trent graduates.....

Member # 239

Solaris will be the best movie ever.
Member # 239

It will be!
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps