Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Life after Death (Page 4)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Life after Death
Veers
You first
Member # 661

- posted      Profile for Veers         Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
On ghosts, I feel that yes, there are dead people out there that can contact our world. There are forces more powerful than us that we can't explain. After all, believeing in ghosts is no more crazy than believing in aliens and other worlds (which I believe are also out there, somewhere).

--------------------
Meh

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The existence of alien life does not require the supernatural.

The existence of alien life does not require violation of the known laws of physics.

The existence of ghosts does both.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, in all fairness, physics doesn't explain human consciousness, so it can't determine whether such can exist separate from a body.
Free ThoughtCrime America
Member # 480

- posted      Profile for Free ThoughtCrime America     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I believe in ghosts of the Native American/Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenence variety. I don't blelieve in ghosts of the Headless Horseman or Amityville Horror variety.
Dat
Huh?
Member # 302

- posted      Profile for Dat     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
And I believe in ghosts of any kind. As well as good entities and evil entities. I believe in God, Allah, Yahweh or whatever you may call him/her/it. I also believe in the devil, Lucifer, Satin, or whatever you may call him/her/it. I believe in heaven, hell, and even purgatory. I believe there are portals and other passageways between these realms including our realm of the living.

--------------------
Is it Friday yet?

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I scarcely believe in myself, most days.
Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
One day, Holy Velvet will utterly vanquish your Satin, Dat!! [Smile]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Diane
aka Tora Ziyal
Member # 53

- posted      Profile for Diane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
WHy would there be an afterlife? and not a "before Life" so to speak.
Well, nobody ever said there couldn't be a "before life." It's part of the belief in reincarnation, actually.

EMH: Personally I believe in ghosts, but your brother could also be seeing spirits. The difference is that ghosts are earthbound and sometimes don't know they're dead, and spirits are dead people who've gone to the Other Side/afterlife/heaven and can come and visit. I don't know how old your brother is, but children, especially under age 5, tend to be very receptive to spirits/ghosts (i.e. they could see them more easily).

If you don't believe any of this, however, I suggest NOT censuring your brother for telling people about seeing ghosts. Adults tend to get quite upset when children say something like they could see their dead grandfather, and they freak out and yell at their kids for it. Kids don't know it's a taboo for some people, and telling them it's only their "imagination" confuses them rather than instructs them.

As for scientific evidence, there is plenty of research and cultural evidence (2/3 of the world believes in it in one form or another) out there for reincarnation, and rather little to none against it. My opinion on scientistic views is this: if Earth is a holodeck which we come to experience life, and in this holodeck humans breathe carbon dioxide and exhale oxygen. Then, if you were to live in this environment from birth to death, there'd be no evidence that people in the outside world breathe oxygen and exhale carbon dioxide. I'm not saying that science could never find ways to explain ghosts and that sort of thing, but outright refusal of the possibility is, well, unscientific.

--------------------
life creation in progress

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fear not.. ghosts can't see. Their eyeballs and optic nerves are immaterial. No surface to reflect light. No brain to process information.

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The problem with arguing that science can't prove against ghosts is that science, by it's very nature, is designed to work on the natural, not the supernatural. You can never disprove God, ghosts, etc because they don't have to "obey" the rules, such as it were.

I also tend to go for the idea that the simplest explanation is usually the most accurate. If a kid claims to be seeing ghosts, and the options are:

1/ He is closer to the supernatural realm, or
2/ He has a very active imagination...

I'd plump for option 2 every time.

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
meh, im still willing to bet we havent explained everything with science yet, there might be a few surprises out there that could make ghosts possible (verteron particles maybe!)

but, yeah the kids just need some better toys.

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps