Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What have I done? (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What have I done?
Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Damn you and your laptops and all this tech talk. It's making me itch to think about how much I've been wanting to upgrade my computer here...

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

--David "Woody" Wooderson, Dazed and Confused

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Mybad, my mind wondered earlier to something that was in front of me. Anyway, I'm guessing you can't send your laptop to the company for an upgrade of the video chip and the cpu then.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."
-Gene Roddenberry about Star Trek

LOA
Migraine Mistress
Member # 49

- posted      Profile for LOA     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've got a Dell Inspiron 8100... it's just over a year old, so it's not top of the line anymore, but it's still a VERY nice toy to have....

1.2 GHz, 512MB RAM, Built in CD-RW, Removable DVD, 30 gig HD, Removable Floppy drive, 32 MB GeForce2go video card, 15" display, every single port and plug in that one could IMAGINE on a computer, and of course a modem/ethernet card....

I love my machine... it's the largest of Dell Laptops, but it's still small enough that I can carry it around everywhere with no problem, and it's got every feature in the world, yay me!

And I run for about 3 hours on one battery... obviously, if I add a second, that will double [Smile]

~LOA

--------------------
"You are anal twattypoo who has ruined my good mood" PsyLiam to TSN May 01,2006.

Saltah'na
Chinese Canadian, or 75% Commie Bastard.
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, the CPU IS upgradeable. In fact, it takes regular Pentium 4 chips. The memory takes regular DDR DIMM sticks rather than SODIMM sticks which are supposed to be used for laptops. I suppose the only thing that cannot be upgraded is the Vid card.

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

- posted      Profile for Mikey T     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
That sucks... any chance that they could theoretically do that? It sounds like you have one of those laptops that are like my Alienware where it's built for different companies then logos or metallic paint jobs are given with other final modifications.

--------------------
"It speaks to some basic human needs: that there is a tomorrow, it's not all going to be over with a big splash and a bomb, that the human race is improving, that we have things to be proud of as humans."

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
laptop + solar power

+ Wi-Fi!

=

Bliss

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

- posted      Profile for Peregrinus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Tahna Los: Sodomy sticks...?

--Jonah

--------------------
"That's what I like about these high school girls, I keep getting older, they stay the same age."

Saltah'na
Member # 33

- posted      Profile for Saltah'na     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
WHAT???!!!??

--------------------
"And slowly, you come to realize, it's all as it should be, you can only do so much. If you're game enough, you could place your trust in me. For the love of life, there's a tradeoff, we could lose it all but we'll go down fighting...." - David Sylvian
FreeSpace 2, the greatest space sim of all time, now remastered!

Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
SODIMM - Sodomy

Clever, clever Jonah. [Smile]

--------------------
I haul cardboard and cardboard accessories

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Slot, bank, plug, stick, module, extension... like that joke's never been done before.

"any chance that they could theoretically do that?"

How would you replace an integrated chip?

Peregrinus
Curmudgeon-at-Large
Member # 504

With an isograted chip. Duh. Don't you watch Voyager?

--Jonah

--------------------

Da_bang80
A few sectors short of an Empire
Member # 528

- posted      Profile for Da_bang80     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by LOA:
I've got a Dell Inspiron 8100... it's just over a year old, so it's not top of the line anymore, but it's still a VERY nice toy to have....

1.2 GHz, 512MB RAM, Built in CD-RW, Removable DVD, 30 gig HD, Removable Floppy drive, 32 MB GeForce2go video card, 15" display, every single port and plug in that one could IMAGINE on a computer, and of course a modem/ethernet card....

I love my machine... it's the largest of Dell Laptops, but it's still small enough that I can carry it around everywhere with no problem, and it's got every feature in the world, yay me!

And I run for about 3 hours on one battery... obviously, if I add a second, that will double [Smile]

~LOA

*Cough* I'd FRICKIN KILL for a laptop that good! My parents laptop is a Compaq, with a *Gasp* pentium 150 Mhz, with 32 megs of ram! at least i never use it. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change.
The courage to change the things I cannot accept.
And the wisdom to hide the bodies of all the people I had to kill today because they pissed me off.

Remember when your parents told you it's dangerous to play in traffic?

Saltah'na
Member # 33

It's here. I picked it up a few hours ago, and after a little trouble regarding connecting the thing to the net, here I am hacking away at it.

Now to find something to do with it. [Wink]

Nim
The Aardvark asked for a dagger
Member # 205

- posted      Profile for Nim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If you change the processor yourself on any Dell computer you can take the three-year warranty and SHOVE IT UP YOU ARSE!
Dell support is very clear on this point. In my case it's no big problem, my own company have excellent technicians. :-)

I have a Dell Dimension 8200 1.6 Ghz since November last year.
Some months ago Dell released the Dell Dimension 8250 3.06 Ghz, effectively breaking the old rule that says the performance of market computers should double every 18 months. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"I'm nigh-invulnerable when I'm blasting!"
Mel Gibson, X-Men

Mikey T
Driven
Member # 144

I think it's now every few months now.

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps