Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » What have I done? (Page 3)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What have I done?
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"...effectively breaking the old rule that says the performance of market computers should double every 18 months."

That's because there never was any such "rule". IIRC, Moore was talking about the density of inegrated circuits doubling about every year at the time that he said it (in the sixties; it was upped to 18 months later). Some idiot somewhere decided that this was a "law" that applied to all technology everywhere for all time, and now everyone is confused.

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Doesn't matter anyway. The current method of CPU R&D has maybe a decade in it left before the laws of quantum mechanics prevent any further growth in IC density... by which time either optical or quantum computing will take over and allow a paradigm shift to take place.
superslowmo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
i have an ibm thinkpad r31 with a 1.6mhz celeron and windows xp pro and wireless LAN thing and i can usually squeeze out 3 hrs if i use it like i do back home (aim, internet, music, etc)
IP: Logged
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps