Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » I bid thee farewell (Page 3)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: I bid thee farewell
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Why would anyone care if you told us how to make a nuclear reactor. I'm sure we could already find that on the Internet, anyway.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Yes: like here. [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Hobbes
 Homicidal Psycho Jungle Cat 
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Where are you stationed right now?

USS Fitzgerald DDG-62. Right now we're inport at 32nd St. Naval Station awaiting West Pac. When we're deployed only officers get internet, the most enlisted crew get is MS Outlook mail.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Bernd
Guy from Old Europe
Member # 6

- posted      Profile for Bernd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Maybe you will get internet access if you volunteer to rework the ship's website. [Wink]

http://www.fitzgerald.navy.mil/

I don't think the page transition is so funny. Looks like the ship is targeted through the periscope of a submarine...

--------------------
Bernd Schneider

capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
hmm. that site is soooo 1998. ani gifs and scrolling text in the status bar.

actually i would be worried if the military was good at web design. i'd prefer they be good at, i don't know, sailing and defending, and stuff like that, instead.

BTW, the bios of the CO and staff.. is that kosher? my U.S.S. Enterprise article in National Geographic says that because of the 'conflicts' they aren't photographing or naming crewmembers on active vessels.. edit: the NG article is from November 2001, when the E was involved in Afghanistan so that explains that

Matrix
AMEAN McAvoy
Member # 376

- posted      Profile for Matrix     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
As it turns out, my so called welcome aboard package is old (way old). My squadron is not longer on the USS Stennis but the USS George Washington. My LPO, AME2 Bannard, who is left yesterday will be push for me, and two other shipmates who are shipping out with me on the same date to go on night shifts and directly to the shop.

Very good news for me at least.

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Nim:
[You meant to say...that modern US warships potentially can travel faster than...*GASP*...32 knots??
Which is the same damn speed ships could do in 1942 already????

It's those damn Vulcans, they're holding us back! [Smile]

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

AndrewR
Resident Nut-cache
Member # 44

- posted      Profile for AndrewR     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Hobbes:
quote:
Originally posted by Matrix:
Where are you stationed right now?

USS Fitzgerald DDG-62. Right now we're inport at 32nd St. Naval Station awaiting West Pac. When we're deployed only officers get internet, the most enlisted crew get is MS Outlook mail.
Well, if you only get outlook mail - you still have access to newsgroups.

--------------------
"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." - Jim Halpert. (The Office)

I'm LIZZING! - Liz Lemon (30 Rock)

Hobbes
Member # 138

- posted      Profile for Hobbes     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well my friends, the orders are in. This nice little break inport San Diego was great but I'm leaving for the Persian Gulf March 1st.

--------------------
I'm slightly annoyed at Hobbes' rather rude decision to be much more attractive than me though. That's just rude. - PsyLiam, Oct 27, 2005.

Austin Powers
Slightly warped
Member # 250

- posted      Profile for Austin Powers     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, all the best then! Hope you return safe and sound when it's all over down there!!

--------------------
Lister: Don't give me the "Star Trek" crap! It's too early in the morning.
- Red Dwarf "The Last Day"

Hobbes
Member # 138

quote:
Originally posted by Bernd:
Maybe you will get internet access if you volunteer to rework the ship's website. [Wink]

http://www.fitzgerald.navy.mil/

You know, I'd love to... but that aint gonna happen. The website was created by the ADP guys, they're the Information Systems Technologist (IT) networking people on our ship. They of course give themselves internet access underway while restricting it for everyone else.

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sounds like you picked the wrong line of work in the Navy, Hobbes! [Wink]

Good luck, and watch out for those cloaked missiles! The UN inspectors haven't found those Iraqi cloaking devices yet, but they probably will soon enough...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

Shik
Starship database: completed; History of Starfleet: done; website: probably never
Member # 343

- posted      Profile for Shik     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
While you're in port in Barhrain, remember the REAL reason why Islamic law makes their women wear veils & burqas--becasue they're hot as fuck & they don't want us stealing who good elements of their gene pool they have.

--------------------
"The French have a saying: 'mise en place'—keep everything in its fucking place!"

Hobbes
Member # 138

Nah... I'd rather not be an IT. For starters, their rating badge sucks I much prefer the EW rating badge.

Well I'm still posting which means I'm still in San Diego. Yeah, Pacific Fleet decided to order us out on the 1st without the approval of the Secretary of Defense. So instead I'm leaving March 3rd. First stop, Hawaii. Once we pull in we should have internet again, so I'll post there. I plan to buy a digital camera. I still get email ( [email protected] - please email, it's my only connection to the outside world [Razz] ) so I'll send those pics to see the exploits of a young American sailor getting drunk in foreign ports.

The fact that they're sending my battle group out to the Gulf should be a big enough clue that Bush is on the verge of going to war.

Anyway, until next time...

--------------------

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Bush is on the verge of going to war?

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps