Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » The Can-American $ (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Can-American $
Fabrux
Epic Member
Member # 71

- posted      Profile for Fabrux     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
What the hell? I don't think so. No one is going to change anything around here. The day any part of Canada becomes part of the US is the day Hell freezes over. I highly doubt that the Canadian and American dollar will be merged. That's just plain nonsense. And don't get me started on Qu�bec. I don't live there, but I've been there. Nice place. However, the provincial government feels that, because they're the biggest provnce and their official language is French they should be there own country. Well, everyone, take a good look at a map of Canada. Look at Qu�bec. If it separates, the Ungava Peninsula will still be part of Canada, the Gasp� Peninsula will still be part of Canada, as well as the extreme south of Qu�bec. Now how big is Qu�bec? Pretty small. And to make matters worse, they still want to use the Canadian dollar! I don't think so.

*smites First of Two for saying that Canada will join the US*

------------------
I'm free! I'm free! No more school! All hell's going to break loose!

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
They ruled separation illegal? Doesn't that mean Canada will have to become part of the British Empire again? Or does that separation not count?

------------------
Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"
Pinky: "I think so, Brain, but, if you get a long little doggie, wouldn't you just call it a 'dachshund'?"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*thwaps TSN* That was accomplished differently.

And don't get me started on that itty fact about the U.S....

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Chimaera
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Don't believe the media hype. This is a non issue in both governments, neither would aggree to a common currency. For Canada, it's a loss of economic control and a BIG step toward statehood. For the Americans, not only would it be a loss of control, but in prestige. Nobody in their right mind would willingly give up the most powerfull currency in the world.

Several other countries (Mexico being one of them) are considering adopting the American dollar outright. Their own currencies may be worthless, but I think its a big mistake.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

IP: Logged
Chimaera
Ex-Member

Now that I think about it though, I would consider a united currency if it meant the Americans had to use paper money with a picture of the Queen of England, Elizabeth II, on it.

------------------
"But, it was so artistically done."
-Grand Admiral Thrawn

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
The resulting currency would undoubtedly be at least as pleasing to look upon as our present set of dead presidents rendered in green. Or as bad. After all, QE II isn't as... visually appealing as she once was.

Of course, the same can be said for most of the dead guys whose faces adorn American currency today. At least Ben Franklin looks like he just came from a party and plans to return.

--Baloo

------------------
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
--Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

Xentrick
good to go
Member # 64

- posted      Profile for Xentrick     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Baloo, there was a movie some years ago {allegedly based on true events.} Young down-on-his luck city boy finds bags of money that fell off of an armored car.

He takes the bills (brand-new $100's, very suspicious} to the local mobster to get them laundered. The money-man goes into a bit about Frankling is his favorite president: he was the only one who seems to be cracking a smile.

First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Fabrux: actually, that wasn't MY prediction. I read it in a book by these guys who spot and predict political trends.. They predicted the reunification of Germany, the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, the fall of the USSR, the breakup of Yugoslavia.. and all within a matter of months around the actual occurrence. (Actually, when I read the book, Yugoslavia was still one country. But they predicted it, along with most of the stuff that went with it.)

According to my sources, New Brunswick and Manitoba have already applied to the US State Dept. for info on becoming states. o_0

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Elim Garak
Plain and simple
Member # 14

- posted      Profile for Elim Garak     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
First of Two: I doubt it. We'll never succumb. Information, perhaps, but we wouldn't any time soon.

And the "avoid seeking unity and let nature take its course" line was totally inappropriate for the Officers' Lounge, in my opinion.

------------------
Doctor: "Run along. I'll reattach any severed limbs. Just don't misplace them." (Voyager: "The Killing Game")

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
New currency would reflect who had the most. Bill Gates!!

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Saleel Majeed
Ex-Member

*gets the feeling Kosh wants to become a full-fledged member... fast*

------------------
http://www.trekseek.com/

[This message has been edited by Saleel Majeed (edited June 27, 1999).]

RW
Member # 27

- posted      Profile for RW     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 

Perhaps we should all use the Gateso instead. All electronic of course.

Baloo
Curmudgeon-in-Chief
Member # 5

- posted      Profile for Baloo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Actually, I would like to propose the NAD (acronym for: "North American Dollar"). Technically, this terminology would remain incorrect until we got Mexico to sign on, but what the heck?

--Baloo

------------------
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."
--Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science, 1949
www.geocities.com/Area51/Shire/8641/

[This message has been edited by Baloo (edited June 27, 1999).]

bryce
Anointed Class of 2003
Member # 42

- posted      Profile for bryce     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
* thinks it's funny there is a $ in the title *

------------------
I love Zilla's lips ! ;)

Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I am sorely tempted to shuffle this thread over into the flameboard, to be replaced by...

The Pan-American Love Thread! Everyone name something you love from your fellow countries. I'll start.

Saskatoon. One of the greatest place-names ever.

------------------
"Breath...keep breathing. I can't do this alone"
--
Radiohead

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps