Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » They're pulling our Lagos! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: They're pulling our Lagos!
Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
'Nigerian' money scam: What happens when you reply?

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I liked the part about a major international bank using a Yahoo.com address the best... [Wink]

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

The359
The bitch is back
Member # 37

- posted      Profile for The359     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Now that's pretty damn good [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Lotta people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well. When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."

-Steve McQueen as Michael Delaney, LeMans

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Here's what happens if you reply to one of those things, and you are Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka.
capped
I WAS IN THE FUTURE, IT WAS TOO LATE TO RSVP
Member # 709

- posted      Profile for capped     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
inspiration has struck.. since i had one of these kicking around in my inbox, i decided to wite a little reply.
quote:
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 04:53:31
To: [email protected]
Subject: STRICLTY CONFIDENTIAL
Good Day, With warm heart I offer my friendship, and my greetings, and I hope this letter meets you in good time. It will be surprising to you to receive this proposal from me since you do not know me personally. However, I am sincerely seeking your confidence in this transaction, which I propose with my free mind and as a person of integrity.
My name is Mr.Frank Okere, the first son of Matimue Okere,of the most popular black farmer from Zimbabwe, murdered in the land dispute in my country. As led by my instict, I decided to contact you through email, after searching for contacts via the internet, as it is the only means I can contact anybody since I am cutting off ties with Zimbabwe for security and safety reasons. However,I apologize if this is not acceptable to you.
The purpose of this letter is to seek your most needed assistance in a business venture. Due to the the land and political problems in Zimbabwe, as a result of President Robert Mugabe's introduction of new Land Act Reform wholly affecting the rich white farmers and the few rich black farmers, and his desire to hold on to power for life, my father forsaw the danger that came in Zimbabwe. Before he was murdered, he withdrew all of our business foreign accounts in dollars and sold up our shares in major companies. We then went to Johannesburg, South Africa to deposit the sum of US$14.5 million (Fourteen million, Five Hundred thousand US dollars), in a private security company. This money was deposited with this Private Security company for safety and security reasons, and was to be used for the purchase of land, new machines and chemicals establishment of new farms in Botswana and Swaziland.
President Mugabe's support for the violent imbabwean war veterans and some lunatics in the society, led to the murder of my beloved father and other innocent lives. I was continually threatened to abandon my inheritance from my father after he was murdered. I resited for a while, but when the danger became unbearable, and I survived two murder attempts, I fled Zimbabwe to South Africa where I was arrested and detained for eight(8 good month)in jail.I fled south Africa for The Netherlands with the help of the present prison command chief officer in Charge(P.C.C.O)
I am currently staying in the Netherlands where I am seeking political asylum. In fact my decision to come here to seek asylum, is because the security company from South Africa, has a branch here, and they have moved the deposit from their office in Johannesburg here. I need to transfer this money to an account and invest part of the money. Since the law of Netherlands prohibits a refugee (asylum seeker) to open any bank account or to be involved in any financial transaction, this is why I am seeking a genuine and reliable partner, whose account this money can be transferred, hence this proposal to you.You have to understand that this decision taken by me entrusts my future and in your hands, as a result of the safe keeping of this money. If you accept to assist me, all I want you to do for me, is to assist with arrangements to claim the deposit from the security company from their office here in The Netherlands, as it has now been transfered from Johannesburg, South Africa to their branch here. The company will be legally informed of you representing me.
For your assistance, I have two options for you. Firstly you can choose to have 10% of the money for your assistance, and helping me open an account for the money to be deposited here, or you can go into partnership with me for the proper profitable investment of the money in your country. Whichever the option you want, please to notify me in your reply.
I have also set aside 1%($145,000,00) of this money for all kinds of expenses that come our way in the process of this transaction, and 4% ($580,000,00) for Charity donation. If you prefer to accept the 10% for assisting with opening an account, then 85%will be left in the account here for me.
Please, I want you to maintain the absolute secrecy for the purpose of this transaction.
I look forward to your reply and co-operation, and I thank you in advance as I anticipate your co-operation.
Thanks and God bless.
Sincerely, Frank Okere

quote:

Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2003 12:36:41 -0800 (PST)
Subject: Re: STRICLTY CONFIDENTIAL
To: "FRANK OKERE"
Michael Capstan
1701 Enterprise Way
Broken Bow, OK 74728
Mr. Okere,
Thank you for "E"-mailing me with word of this opportunity. In my profession as the assistant chief accountant for Mrs. Clanghorn's Dry Cleaning Associates, I have had many opportunities to manage funds in many different ways, for example, when Mrs. Clanghorn had me attend the financial meeting regarding the opening of her second location, and I supplied my "E" mail address so that she might contact me when I was working in the second building on Chickenshit Street. We never got the computer to boot up, but I'm thankful that my Yahoo! "E" mail address has come to good use.
Did you get the address from Mr. Doherty at the bank? He is always very careful to commend my accounting skills, when I slide the deposit envelope all the way into the slot and then securely lock it at the end of the night, he says its a real bonus despite my learning disabilities that keep me from becoming Chief Accountant.
I think that my bank account would be ideal for the transaction, I opened it 13 years ago when I turned 29 and moved out of my mother's basement and into the shed on her property, and since then have kept tidy records of it. I have never overdrawn my account once, in 13 years! I am eager to see what else my diligence in dealing with accounting and bank matters can accomplish.
I'm glad that I'd have the ability to help without actually traveling to Johannesburg or dealing with any Negroes. I read in a magazine that Joburg is the crime capital of the world and the Negroes there would kill you for just being white, and then remove the fillings from your teeth. I assure you, Mr. Okere, that none of my teeth fillings are made from any precious metal, if that is the kind of transaction you had in mind. I also heard that the Negroes killed each other, which is a correct assumption based on how the Godless savages must have murdered your father, whom you stated is also a Negroe. I was told that the term 'black' was politically incorrect when dealing with Negroes, so I find it odd that you use it in reference to yourself and your father? Perhaps things are different in Jimbabwe and Niggeria, where Negroes do not care whether they are called 'black' or not. Do they speak some other Darkie language in your country? We don't hear too much about the Dark Continent here in Oklahoma.
By the way, you mentioned CONFIDENTIALITY in your "E" mail with much emphasis. I must ask the same of you. If my pa found out that I was exchanging "E" mails with a Negroe, he would whip me like he whipped my brother for being fellated by a Mexican girl. So I must ask of you, no one in Broken Bow may know of me having any financial dealings with Negroes. The only one who knows right now is the spinster Merriwether, who types my letters into her lap-atop computer for me, because I cannot write proper. I hope that the week since I recieved your "E" mail is nopt too much time elapsed. The spinster comes over my house frequently to show me exciting images on her lap-atop, so that we may sin together, but last week she was bleeding and therefore we did not use the interweb.
I am eagerly awaiting your reply so that we may become big businessmen together!
Michael Capstan

--------------------
"Are you worried that your thoughts are not quite.. clear?"

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:

If my pa found out that I was exchanging "E" mails with a Negroe, he would whip me like he whipped my brother for being fellated by a Mexican girl.

You might want to change "being fellated by" to "gittin a hummer from".

(wonders off to another thread)

--------------------
Sparky::
Think!
Question Authority, Authoritatively.
“Believe nothing of what you hear, and only half of what you see.”
EMSparks

Shalamar:
To save face, keep lower half shut.

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I've gotten an idea for a great prank response at some point:

Since so many of these messages use the same basic format -- i.e. "the most popular black farmer from Zimbabwe" -- I thought it might be a fun idea to play upon those similarities.

For instance, respond to one -- "I just got an e-mail last week from (someone else), who also said he was the son of the most popular black farmer in Zimbabwe. You might want to track him down and figure out who's really the most popular before you start asking for help. Get that settled, then get back to me."

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"Jimbabwe and Niggeria"

Classic.

Curry Monster
Somewhere in Australia
Member # 12

- posted      Profile for Curry Monster     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I actually got a similar letter in the mail a couple of months back. Seemed too good to be true, so I did some checking.....and voila...international scam. Glad I didn't call.
Sol System
two dollar pistol
Member # 30

- posted      Profile for Sol System     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
401 scams are not uncommon. In fact, they're almost single-handedly responsible for the wiring of Nigeria.
TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
404 - Scam could not be found.
Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
captain mike: That reply, quite simply, rocks [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

Lee
I'm a spy now. Spies are cool.
Member # 393

- posted      Profile for Lee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Sorry to bring this up again, but I just read this link my brother sent me, and, once I got over the hysterics, just had to pass it on. 8)

--------------------
Never mind the Phlox - Here's the Phase Pistols

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

Has anyone heard if the SCO Group has moved to Nigeria? Based on this letter, that appears to be the case... [Big Grin]

--------------------

MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

I know some people don't like to see old topics resurrected like this, but I got this message this morning, and it appears that the Nigerian spammers are getting (slightly) smarter...
quote:
Subject: NEXT OF KIN TO LATE MICHAEL CARLSON

Dear Carlson,

I am Barrister Johnson Madu Solicitor, I am the Personal Attorney to Mr.Michael Carlson national of Your country, who used to work with shell development,Company in Nigeria.

On the 21st of April 2000, my client, his wife and Their three children were involved in a car accident Along Sagamu/Lagos Express Road. Unfortunately they All Lost their lives in the event of the accident, since Then I have made several enquiries to your Embassy

to Locate any of my clients extended relatives, this Has also proved unsuccessful. After these several Unsuccessful attempts, I decided to trace his Relatives over the Internet, to locate any member of His family but of no avail, hence I contacted you.

I contacted you to assist in repatriating the money In addition, property left behind by my client before they get Confiscated or declared unserviceable by the bank Where this huge deposits were lodged. Particularly, the Bank where the deceased had an account valued at about US$7million dollars.

Conseqently, The bank issued me a notice to provide The next of kin or have the account confiscated within The next twenty official working days. Since I have been Unsuccessful in locating the the relatives For over 2 years now I seek your consent to present You as the next of kin of the deceased since you are From the same country and you, share the same surname So that the proceeds of this account valued at US$7 Million dollars can be paid to you and then you and me can share the money. 45% to me and 45% to you,while 10% Should be for expenses or tax as your government may Require.

I have all necessary legal documents that can be used to back up Any claim we may make. All I require is Your honest cooperation to enable us sees this deal Through. I guarantee that this will be executed under A legitimate arrangement that will protect you from Any breach of the law. Please get in touch with me by my email to Enable us discuss further and also your telephone numbers

Best regards,

Barrister Johnson Madu.{esq}

Of course, it's still the same old scheme... just now they're matching names to the addresses. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps