Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Highway Manners (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Highway Manners
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Okay, given an ongoing disagreement in another forum, I am posting this poll as a sort of informal survey. Assume the following:

A driver on a major highway is coming up on a construction site. Several miles before the construction begins, there are signs saying "left lane closed ahead" "use right lane," etc.

Traffic is backed up bumper-to-bumper in the right lane.

However, this driver continues to drive in the left lane, passing up the cars stopped in the right lane. He figures, "I haven't reached the merge point yet, why waste a perfectly good lane?"

This person is... what? (See poll responses)

Poll Information
This poll contains 1 question(s). 39 user(s) have voted.
You may not view the results of this poll without voting.

Vote Now     View Poll Results

--------------------
"The best defense is not a good offense. The best defense is a terrifyingly accurate and devastatingly powerful offense, with multiply-overlapping kill zones and time-on-target artillery strikes." -- Laurence, Archangel of the Sword

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
"This person is..."

...going to be screwed as long as the other drivers aren't stupid enough to let him/her/it in.

Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs
astronauts gotta get paid
Member # 239

- posted      Profile for Vacuum robot lady from Spaceballs     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Dragged? Drug? Draggen?

WHO NOES?

This person is.. usually an SUV'd Soccer Mom, or Soccer Dad, or Ninetofiver.

GO NINE TO FIVERS GO.

Mucus
Member # 24

- posted      Profile for Mucus     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I dunno.
Translating several miles = 2.5ish(?) times as many kilometres.
While this sort of action would be crummy maybe a kilometre or less away from the merge, its rather unrealistic to expect people to pile up several miles back.
This is probably a "you had to be there" kind of call.

bX
Stopped. Smelling flowers.
Member # 419

- posted      Profile for bX     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well think about this logically now, guys. You know that up ahead the lane will be closed, and so you know there will be merging ahead. Does it really make sense to start the stop and go early, like, way before it's even necessary?

I mean if the road would otherwise be perfectly fine and traffic would be normal if it weren't for this construction, there just isn't any sense in bogging shit up any sooner than you have to. Ideally you'd split the misery so the empty lane would be moving at the same rate as the unobstructed ones right up to the bottleneck. I mean it's going to bottleneck anyway you're all bloody stuck in it, why get your knickers in a bind about where exactly that's going to happen.

He might not be an @$$�0�#, that driver could be thinking ahead (and perhaps possess an advanced degree in fluid dynamics.) But, of course, he could be an @$$�0�# too. I would say that would depend on how he behaved when attempting to re-enter the passable lane. If he swerves his big-ole SUV-piloting, gas-guzzling, tinted-window-having ass on in without so much as a glance at the folks screeching their brakes to let him in, well then obviously he's a dick. If he waits for awhile, kinda slowly edging, re-integrating his pussy-pastel hybrid semi-compact into the pack, that's not a jerk.

--------------------
"Nah. The 9th chevron is for changing the ringtone from "grindy-grindy chonk-chonk" to the theme tune to dallas." -Reverend42

Cartman
just made by the Presbyterian Church
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
If I were a construction worker, I would be a tad bit unnerved by a constant flow of SUVs & semis & BIGASS TRUCKS careening down on my ass at 70 mph and not merging w/ the other lane until the last possible instant... like RIGHT IN FRONT OF ME!

[ June 11, 2003, 11:06 AM: Message edited by: Cartmaniac ]

Wraith
Zen Riot Activist
Member # 779

- posted      Profile for Wraith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Well, at least he/she wasn't using a bus lane.

That pisses me off. Although it was moderately amusing when I saw a (stolen) car in London turn the wrong way into a bus lane. No one was hurt fortuneately but it was one of those things which makes you think there is a God [Big Grin]

--------------------
"I am an almost extinct breed, an old-fashioned gentleman, which means I can be a cast-iron son-of-a-bitch when it suits me." --Jubal Harshaw

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

- posted      Profile for TSN     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
You have special lanes just for buses?
Cartman
Member # 256

- posted      Profile for Cartman     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Erh, yes. Mainly because public transportation wouldn't be much good or use without them.
PsyLiam
Hungry for you
Member # 73

- posted      Profile for PsyLiam     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
We do not have wide roads. This is what happens when you have to fit them in to cities that were never designed to cope with them.

So yes, we have bus lanes. Although most are only officially "for buses only" during rush hour(s).

--------------------
Yes, you're despicable, and... and picable... and... and you're definitely, definitely despicable. How a person can get so despicable in one lifetime is beyond me. It isn't as though I haven't met a lot of people. Goodness knows it isn't that. It isn't just that... it isn't... it's... it's despicable.

The_Tom
recently silent
Member # 38

- posted      Profile for The_Tom     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
A more appropriate question to direct at Tim would be "You've never come across a bus lane?"

--------------------
"I was surprised by the matter-of-factness of Kafka's narration, and the subtle humor present as a result." (Sizer 2005)

Jason Abbadon
Rolls with the punches.
Member # 882

- posted      Profile for Jason Abbadon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Magnus:

This person is.. usually an SUV'd Soccer Mom, or Soccer Dad, or Ninetofiver.

On cell phone talking to their broker, drinking a Sarbucks Latte and yelling at her bickering kids in the back seat.
And there's a horrid plastic american flag stuck to the antenna of her $50,000 gas-guzzeling four ton Explorer limited edition.

--------------------
Justice inclines her scales so that wisdom comes at the price of suffering.
-Aeschylus, Agamemnon

TSN
I'm... from Earth.
Member # 31

To my knowledge, there's nothing resembling these "bus lanes" around here.
Cartman
Member # 256

Yes. This is in line w/ the fact there are "not many" vehicles resembling these "buses" around "there" either.
MinutiaeMan
Living the Geeky Dream
Member # 444

- posted      Profile for MinutiaeMan     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
I voted for the "dragging from the car" option, but at the same time, there might be some extenuating circumstances. If the traffic was completely backed up, then the person might (might, I said) not have been able to stop in time to get in line? At that point, once you're going fast you end up needing to stop completely in order to get into line, causing an even bigger backup behind you.

Of course, part of the cause of those long backups is because of people who try to race ahead in the first place, and if everyone just got in line in an orderly fashion it'd all be a lot smoother...

--------------------
“Those people who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.” — Isaac Asimov
Star Trek Minutiae | Memory Alpha

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps