Flare Sci-fi Forums
Flare Sci-Fi Forums Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply
my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Flare Sci-Fi Forums » Community » Officers' Lounge » Red Alert for Geocities Users!! (Page 2)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Red Alert for Geocities Users!!
First of Two
Better than you
Member # 16

- posted      Profile for First of Two     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Points at Geocities High Muckety-Mucks*

Garrisonspeak: You go to Hell! You go to Hell and you DIE!!!

And I don't even HAVE a web page!

Don't stand for this crap! Fire all missiles! Somebody dust off the Neutron Bomb!

------------------
"When we turn our back on our principles, we stop being human." -- Janeway, "Equinox"

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*moves to tripod*

------------------
Sex is sacred. Your body is a temple. Anyone need sanctifying? ;)

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cargile: I didn't have any problem at all deleting all my files from my editor. the question remains, however, did they back up the server with all of our stuff so that they would have copies of it after people left? hmmmmmmmmmmm...kinda makes you wonder, huh?

------------------
"Fear attracts the fearful"
([[[[[[*]}�������������������������

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Jubes and the rest of you: Tripod has the SAME POLICY... Beware!

------------------
Charles Capps
Cheif Administrator, the solareclipse network
"I do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."

Brigman
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Cargile, Garak, guys, no problem... you're welcome. A friend passed it on to me and I felt that all here in the forums should know. I don't HAVE any Geocities pages but if I did, boy would I worry.

For those of you encountering FTP troubles, here's why. In order to access your pages to delete them, you must now sign an agreement with Geocities that your pages belong to them. In order to access them for ANY reason, for that matter.

My advice is do what my friend did: Agree, log on, and delete all the files from their server. Then cancel your account, and let them know WHY. However I am neither a lawyer nor a network dude, so...

One thing I WOULD recommend is, spread the word.

Good luck!

------------------
Peace!
Brigs

IP: Logged
Trinculo
Ex-Member

- posted            Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
This is a sidenote: A Japanese bank, Softbank, owns majority stakes in the GeoCities Japan Edition. The bank also has shares in Japan editions of Broadcast.Com, CarPoint, CyberCash, E*Trade, E-Loan, InsWeb, Morningstar, and Onsale. And in America, Softbank owns a stake in Yahoo! worth 10 billion dollars.

IP: Logged
Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

- posted      Profile for Jedi Weyoun     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
anyone know about fortunecity?

------------------

Jedi Weyoun
Member # 110

I put a thread in the flameboard--i found the way to remove your site

------------------

Michael Dracon
aka: NightWing or Altair
Member # 4

- posted      Profile for Michael Dracon     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Computer!! Cancel Red Alert!!!

Read this please!

------------------
Wanted: Experienced Kamikaze Pilot

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Interesting, but I think I'm still going to move anyway. GeoCities has just been rubbing me the wrong way lately. The question is if CC is still going to go ahead with his refugee hosting after Altair's revelation...

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

Kosh
Perpetual Member
Member # 167

- posted      Profile for Kosh     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Looks like the damage control party is in full swing. Their agreement needs to be worded differently. It's to broad as is.

------------------
WHO ARE YOU

Jubilee
...complete with cherries!
Member # 99

- posted      Profile for Jubilee     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
PLEH!

Well, If that's the only reason Yahoo is using that in their terms of service agreement, then it won't matter if I stay at Tripod now, anyway.... especially since I already did all the FTPing and half the link fixing. 'sides wich, Tripod URL's are shorter. *L*

------------------
Sex is sacred. Your body is a temple. Anyone need sanctifying? ;)

Charles Capps
We appreciate your concern.
It is noted and stupid.
Member # 9

- posted      Profile for Charles Capps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Unfortunately due to other constraints (i.e. I forgot that I already had the only remaining FTP account reserverd), the hosting by me can NOT happen... Try virtualave.net or something... *frown*

------------------
Charles Capps
Cheif Administrator, the solareclipse network
"I do whatever the voices in my head tell me to do."

Aethelwer
Frank G
Member # 36

- posted      Profile for Aethelwer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
See, this is what you get for not paying for Web space (says the hosting company owner).

------------------
http://frankg.dgne.com/
"I could never sleep my way to the top, 'cause my alarm clock always wakes me right up." - TMBG

Krenim
Unholy Triangle Fella
Member # 22

- posted      Profile for Krenim     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
*Smites Frank a lot*

Well, excuse me for being perpetually broke!

After getting all fired up about moving, I've changed my mind and am going to stay at GeoCities (for the time being). I guess I can accept their explanation (but I'll be keeping my eye out for any other stuff they try to pull), and I couldn't find another host that had what I wanted.

------------------
Darlene: I read a lot of science fiction.
Herbert: Bless you, my child.
Kay: The world needs more people like you.

-Deep Space Nine, "Far Beyond the Stars."

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Quick Reply
HTML is enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.

Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  New Poll  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

© 1999-2024 Charles Capps